Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Seeking Advice about Yarns
 Knitting for a hot box!?!?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2002 :  11:26:52 AM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
I am looking for a yarn that will keep my husband cool. He is a very warm person. He has cotton sweaters (store bought) that he never wears. One sweater-type item he does wear is a v-neck pullover from Eddy Bauer that is a fine-guage double knit. I was thinking that Rowan's Linen Drape might work, but I know some people find viscose (rayon) to be hot. I guess I need a good summer yarn that is not too fine. Please give suggestions.

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  10:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I'm sorry that I don't have any specific suggestions. My husband, too, is a warm person, won't wear even light weight wool. I plan to try one of the cotton-wool blends, though, to see how he likes it. I'm working on a cotton sweater for him now - just have to seam the shoulders and knit the neck band. I'll let you know how he likes the fiber. Maybe you and your husband need to pick out a style and color for a sweater together - he won't have an excuse to not wear it if he has a hand in designing it? Good luck. Linda

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  4:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Hide his winter coats

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2002 :  6:45:44 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
How about Rowan 4-ply cotton (or Sesia Baby or another 100% cotton fingering/baby yarn)? I've made baby sweaters from the Rowan and it is about as light as you could get and still be a sweater. The only problem is that to make a man's sweater at such a fine gauge would take forever! Sometimes you can score the Rowan 4-ply on ebay for less than retail, or some of the British websites like www.colourway.co.uk often have better prices than here.
Carol
p.s. I must confess that I was afraid to read this post for a little while, having started to engage in all kinds of wild imaginings about what a "hot box" is.....

Go to Top of Page

ajar
Chatty Knitter

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2002 :  09:40:55 AM  Show Profile Send ajar a Private Message
Didn't mean to frighten you, Carol. It's local lingo.

I have some shadecards coming from Colourway and they do include Rowan 4-ply cotton. I was hoping to use a larger stitch gauge, though. He's not a big guy, but he does like to wear size large for looseness. I'm sure if I made him a silk sweater he'd wear it, but even with Colourway's sale on discontinued colors of Jaeger silk, I don't think we could afford it. Linen drape will also be on a shadecard, so I can see what I think about it.

Just as a note: I have order from Colourway and love their prices. I ordered a cotton Jaeger sale yarn. It took about three weeks, but they had to order it from the yarn manufacturer, which is stated on the web site before you even order. Once they received it, it was delivered in less than a week. I paid $30.85, including shipping, for 10 balls of Jaeger pure cotton.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe