Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 My Future Projects have gotten out of hand.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  10:35:02 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
As some of you would be aware, I don't buy yarn without have a future project in mind for it. So the only "true unallocated stash yarn" is some which Vicky sent me as a gift (and it was a truely wonderful gift!!) and I haven't yet allocated all of it. Although some things have already been knitted up!

So I have now moved into the double figures for future projects. Not counting sock or scarves or the like, I have enough yarn for about 18 projects waiting for me.

So fess up....how many future projects does everyone else have lurking around. And how do you decide which one to do next.

I am about to finish my bigger than Ben Hur Rowan Denim sweater for my b/f and now I need to choose which project next. I want to make them all so much that I make a decision in the morning and change it by the afternoon. (I am also trying not to have more than 3 WIP's going at anyone time including 1 small WIP).

Jacqueline

PS. I am buying no more yarn till I knock off at least 4 of these! (Well that's the plan anyway!)

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. Michelangelo

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2004 :  10:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I dare not count!
I have many planned/semi-planned projects. Right now, I am quite pleased with myself as I have completed my bf's sweater, 2 squares for Georgia's afghan and nearly completed my kureyon hat - all in the last fortnight. I normally have a couple of projects on the go at the same time.
Yet to be completed are
1. lace socks - one sock down, one to go
2. self patterning socks - icky yarn, but i thoguht i'm make them anyway.
3. sweater for me in 12ply cotton - one more sleeve to go
4. rug for under my shoe rack - 25% done
Yeah, so as you can see, I'm one of those people who has no problems starting a new project. I just have trouble finishing them!
As to how I decide what to knit next - well, whatever catches my fancy. And if I change my mind, i just start another one. It's never bothered me. :) But then I am used to doing many things at once.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  03:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I am just about finished with the Mission Falls star sweater. I just have the neck shaping and since it's a 6 month size that should take one sitting. Of course then there is the dreaded sewing together.

I only do one WIP at a time so I have to plan carefully on my next choice. Probably the waving lace socks in Spring IK - I have been planning them since I bought the magazine and they won't take long. I also have a magazine picture of a baby sweater in bright cotton stripes, some stockinette, some garter stitch, so cute. It's not from a knitting book so I'll have to figure it out but it would be perfect in Cotton Classic of which I have so many colors in my stash. Or I could begin the sampler afghan from 100 Afghan Squares to Knit.

I really like being in the middle of a project - starting is such a commitment, LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4369 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  05:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Thank goodness I don't have anything in my stash to make a big project! I have enough to make socks, scarves, etc. which will have to do while I work on my big WIP, a sweater. I'm heading into the really busy season at work (summer is just around the corner, and the Summer People will be here soon!) so I won't have the time to tackle anything major for the next few months anyway. Now if I can just stay away from Elann for a while...

Jane
-- on the end of
Long Island, New York

Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  07:02:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
My list is getting long too- but I have the stash to use up and I probably won't be making any big yarn purchases soon!

1. Finishing WIP- a shrug.
2. A hooded sweater pullover sweeter from the Stitch and beach book.
3. The "Everyday Cardigan" from Peace Fleece
4. A V-neck with peace fleece yarn from the Yarn Girls Guide
5. WIP scarf for my dad- looks like he won't be wearing it anytime soon though!
6. a cozy for my treo palm pilot. all the cases for them are ugly and I hate getting it scratched up.
7. a cozy for my ipod (same deal with cases being ugly)
8. I found the left-over yarn today that I made my first scarf with a few years ago. So, mittens to match are on the list.

Jeez- knitting is so highly addicting! -Wendy in Wisconsin
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  08:09:18 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Jacqueline,

My stash fills a 10' x 12' room to overflowing. I would guess the number of projects-in-waiting would be close to 3 figures if I include all the smaller items like socks.

I have some vague idea of what projects are next, based on the yarn and patterns I have, but when I finish one project I tool around with yarn until something clicks. It doesn't take long given that I have some lovely stuff and a ton of patterns.

I'm about an inch from the top of a second sleeve of my current WIP, so tonight I'll cast off and then I have to choose between 2 yarns which appeal - one is a mohair in shades of berry/magenta, the other is a mohair/wool boucle in reds and oranges. Both will be quick knits and need to be done before it gets too hot to work with mohair.

Why does everyone feel guilty about their knitting? It's supposed to be fun, not an obligation.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  11:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Um... stuff I've got the yarn for? Let's see...

1. The Starry Night Swedish Kimono (long story)
2. Mystery cotton - I knit something out of it and then ripped it out. I don't know if that counts or not. It was knit, right?
3. Socks.

Wow... I think that's it. Everything else is either being worked on, or is in the planning stages and the yarn hasn't been purchased yet. I suddenly feel so thrifty.

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  2:01:18 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
Yarn on needles: striped sweater from S 'n B book; hooded baby blanket from D.Bliss book; cabin fever cardigan; filatura tank top; v-neck sweater in filatura zara that needs to be seamed.

Yarn allocated to projects: lion brand microfiber for zeebee's bag in s'nb book; some black wool for DH's running cap; pink filatura brilla for a cabled tank for me; baby cashmerino for baby booties and hat; white cotton for eyelet tank in Spring Knitter's.

Project-less yarn: cashmerino aran; cotton silk aran; peruvian quechua; frogged berroco express; a big bag of eros in various (every) colors; noro silk garden.

Yarn-less projects: rebecca sweater; several shawl patterns from various mags; a berroco leaflet I bought buy can't remember now what I was going to make with it.

In the mail: 12 skeins of Schoeller Stahl Sascha in Fuschia (say that 10 times fast!) and pattern book to make lace/cable pullover - ordered from Elann this a.m.

Boy, it's hard to ignore once you've put it in writing!
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4369 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  2:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jade
Why does everyone feel guilty about their knitting? It's supposed to be fun, not an obligation.
Cheryl

I wonder the same thing sometimes -- but my conclusion is that confronting our stashes produces a kind of "shock and awe!"

Jane
-- on the end of
Long Island, New York

Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  4:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
I think I have yarn for about 12 sweaters and other various odds and ends (scarf, sock, hat, felted bag yarn). As far as how I decide what to knit next... really depends on my mood. Lately work has been stressfull so I have been going for bulkier yars so that I feel more productive in my knitting. I am about to start a pullover on sz 11 needles rather than the sweater of kid silk haze doubled on 4's or 5's. But I may get in the mood to knit finer gauge and start that one as well. I have no problem putting one project aside for a bit and coming back to it. It's not like the yarn goes bad once it's left out for awhile

But I am going to try and finish a baby blanket that has been on needles for a bit before I dive into another sweater. (Just finished the sleeves for one last night... of course it's not sewen together yet... hehe hate finishing)

There should be no guilt associated with knitting. Of course I will feel better once I dent my stash a bit more... how did it get so large in a year of knitting?!?!?!?!?

-Amber (yarn collector / knitter)

A friend will help you move..
A really good friend will help you move a body.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  6:38:55 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I don't buy yarn until I need it or it is on sale and I have something in mind to use it for so my stash is not very big, but my future project list is huge.
As for what to knit next, it depends on my budget at the time; if i have no money I'll start a project I have yarn for, or something I have been wanting to knit for one of the kids (they grow too quickly for me to wait to long if I have already purchased the yarn), if I have any spare money I will go out and buy yarn for the next project. I have just finished a 6' long wrap in charcoal grey that was a big project and took nearly a month and I was sick of looking at the boring grey yarn that I started a jacket for my DD in magenta straight away.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 7 FOs, 2 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

caramel93117
Chatty Knitter

USA
322 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  6:46:17 PM  Show Profile Send caramel93117 a Private Message
quote:
And how do you decide which one to do next.

Eeeney, meeney, miney, moe...

And that's basically it! Sophisticated, ain't it?!

Melissa

"Take your needle, my child, and work your pattern--it will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that...one stitch at a time taken patiently."--Oliver Wendall
Go to Top of Page

procrastiknitter
Permanent Resident

Canada
1415 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  7:13:01 PM  Show Profile Send procrastiknitter a Private Message
I have yarn for my sister's Xmas scarf, my dad's Father's Day socks, a shawl for myself and socks for mysself. I am not eager to start any of them! I am on my last sleeve for my first ever sweater, and already daydreaming about the next one! I may force myself to knit a sock and a half first, though. This is a sickness!

I wish I could think of something witty to sign off with...
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  7:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Cheryl, it's not so much guilt about KNITTING, it's caution about spending big bucks on yarn I won't need for six months or longer. In my mind I just can't justify buying more yarn when I've already got three or four other projects waiting to be knit. No guilt, really, just 'what the heck am I thinking'?

Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  8:36:44 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I have made a decision..........

Drumroll please

My next project will be Elfin out of Rowan 34.

http://www.thewoolshack.com/rowan.htm?action=display&PatternID=1587&BackText=Book%2034

In the colours Sign Felted Tweed and Dewberry Kid Silk Haze.

I am going away this weekend to Sydney and am only taking a small project with me. And when I get back I have to sew up my b/f sweater that I just finished and then.........I am casting on and going for broke! I'm excited now!

Jacqueline.

PS. My next project after that one will definitely be my Rogue Hoodie - I've even knitted and washed my gauge square and am all ready to go ...I just want to divert to Elfin for a short period of time.

Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  8:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Hi Jacqueline,
How long are you going to be in Sydney? Have fun making Elfin. It's not 'me' but it is pretty :)
Regards
celia
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  11:39:42 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
quote:

PS. My next project after that one will definitely be my Rogue Hoodie - I've even knitted and washed my gauge square and am all ready to go ...I just want to divert to Elfin for a short period of time.

Jacqueline, what are you using for the Rogue Hoodie? I love that pattern.
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  12:09:58 AM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I'm using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran. I splurged!! I just couldn't resist it. I figured I was going to wear this sweater alot as we are just moving towards winter now, and the cashmerino is so soft and luxurious that it would feel nice if I only wore something thin underneath. Also the hood wouldn't be itchy around my neck either. All these are major pluses as far as I'm concerned.

I can't wait to start this project either.....but first for Elfin!

Jacqueline

Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  06:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Jac,

Elfin is beautiful! What a lovely sweater. Oh, I will have to look at my stash to remember what my intentions were when I bought all this yarn. I suppose I should do this anyway it being spring cleaning and all, perhaps I should Ebay some of it LOL! So you are headed into winter, I love winter, but I guess I'll appreciate it more after I live through another scorching hot summer.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  09:35:59 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
quote:
it's not so much guilt about KNITTING, it's caution about spending big bucks on yarn I won't need for six months or longer. In my mind I just can't justify buying more yarn when I've already got three or four other projects waiting to be knit. No guilt, really, just 'what the heck am I thinking'?

Julie, perhaps my stash buying is different. I never pay retail for yarn, absolutely never. Most of my purchases are from sales and ebay, when prices are too good to pass up, or there is something unique about the yarn. If I think the cost is too high or I need the money for something else, I don't buy.

I may have my sense of economy all cockeyed, but I see stash accumulation as saving me money in the long run. I knit all the time and turn out FOs on a regular basis, so I *am* knitting from my stash, not just buying yarn.

As an example I finished an alpaca/merino sweater for my SO - I would guesstimate cost at under $50 (all ebay). I just cast on a sweater in mohair - cost of yarn around $25 (ebay again).

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2656 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  1:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
On the needles I have:
Jo Sharp Silk Road Aran scarf - started while on vacation and will be done tonight!
Dale baby sweater for friend - I am seeing her and the baby (1 month old) at a seder on Monday, if I apply myself this weekend I just might finish it in time!
Dale Olympic sweater, knitting is 3/4 done, and *will* be done in time for next winter!
Languishing is an Artful Yarns Cinema top - it's my "work" knitting but I haven't had time at work to knit in months. I really should finish it for the summer.

Yarn bought for projects not yet started (in reverse order of acquisition):
NZ romney worsted for sweater for me bought 3/04
NZ merino/possum aran for aran sweater for husband bought 3/04
Barcelona nylon tape for tunic for me bought 2/04
Rowan Kaffe Fassett pillow kit rec'd 2/04
Lavold Silky Wool for Ljod cardigan for me bought 12/03
Naturgarn Lopi for sweater for me bought Fall/03
green boucle yarn for sweater for me bought Fall/03
qiviut worsted for smokering/scarf for me bought 7/03
qiviut worsted for mittens for husband bought 7/03
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino aran for cardigan for me bought 5/03
natural merino for aran sweater for ? bought 9/02

Not including the tubs of sock yarn (only 33 pairs worth...) many of which I intend to make using the vintage Grace Ennis patterns I bought on line about 18 mos ago, but have not done. Also several boxes of "a sweater's worth" of lopi, Takhi Donegal Tweed, and Brown Sheep Handpaint worsted bought on sale, with no specific projects in mind. And oodles of baby yarn, scarf yarn, etc. with no specific project assigned.

I recently gave away two big boxes of yarn, including several bought for sweaters years ago that I realized I'd never get around to using. That was a relief.

I don't exactly know what to make next... I think I want to make a summery top, like the Barcelona tunic, but I need to work on Dale as much as I can while the weather is still cool. And I do want to get the Ljod sweater going sometime soon. Decisions, decisions!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by