Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Spring and Summer Beginner Projects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  5:45:28 PM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I've had some people at work ask me to teach them how to knit but I'm having trouble coming up with beginner projects appropriate for spring and summer. I don't like working with wool in the heat of summer.

Any deas

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I think cotton is too hard for a beginner, so I would use a blend that has some elasticity. With novelty yarns, it is kind of hard to see your stitches, and I don't think that is good for beginners, either. As for patterns, I am drawing a blank.

Debra
Go to Top of Page

jjporep@hotmail.com
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  6:17:59 PM  Show Profile Send jjporep@hotmail.com a Private Message
How about a wrap with sports or baby weight yarns. They could make the long rectangle style with a basic stitch. I made one as a gift for a friend and she uses it at night. At least they'd get use to knitting without spending alot of money on supplies.
Go to Top of Page

Little Kitty
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  6:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Little Kitty's Homepage Send Little Kitty a Private Message
What about a little purse? The VK To Go Purses & Backpacks book has several easy patterns. I also remember a purse/wallet from Melanie Falick's Kids Knitting that looked quick and easy in garter stitch with an i-cord. A thick cotton blend would work well.

~~ Lynette ~~
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  01:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
I know you said you don't like working with wool, but what about felted bags? You get to knit 'em lose, they're forgiving of errors, you can do 'em in fun summery colors, etc.

Josh A.
N. California -> Rochester, NY
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
All cotton yarns aren't hard to work with.
You may want to check out a few reviews that Clara has done and also over at www.wiseneedle.com
Some are softer than others, some have a little sheen to them, and some are blends which can help give the yarn more elasticity.

Kimberly, kniting in VA
WIP: 4 FO: 0
Finished Patchworks Squares: 7
Go to Top of Page

Cowstruck
Chatty Knitter

149 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  2:00:45 PM  Show Profile Send Cowstruck a Private Message
I bought a skein of Cascade Sierra (80% cotton, 20% wool) yesterday and have been swatching with it. It's very smooth and the gauge is 4.5-5 st/inch so the stitches are easy to see and it knits up relatively fast. It's got some give to it and (I'm told) it will keep it's shape better than 100% cotton.

It's very soft and not at all wooly feeling. I think it would make a lovely tank top or T-shirt-style sweater.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

tess1e
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
627 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  4:11:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit tess1e's Homepage Send tess1e a Private Message
I agree with Sarah - I'd go for a wool/cotton mix and make a tank top - there are lots of lovely simple patterns out there and it's not too hard - if you wanted something smaller my vote is with Josh's bag.

www.yarn-shop.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  01:42:38 AM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message
My first project was a scarf--to make one for summer, use a fingering weight yarn and big needles, make it wider and call it a stole! It will go really fast, isn't difficult to learn (just knit one row, purl the next!) can be customized for size and style, and can be made with any fiber as it will be really lacy. I would use at least a US size 10, if not bigger. You can also see what you are doing while you learn!

Other than that, I like Josh's bag too!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

GaiaDea
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  01:44:09 AM  Show Profile Send GaiaDea a Private Message
Oops! Sorry jjporep, you already posted that! My bad!!!

Trish
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  2:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
Brown sheep does two weights of cotton wool blend. Cotton Fleece is, I think worsted weight and Cotton fine is fingering weight. They're both really nice to work with. Linen's rough to knit originally, but you can run that stuff through the washing machine on 'destroy' setting and it'll just soften up. I'm using Reynolds Saucy Sport which is cotton and it handles nicely. I think what gives cotton a bad rep are the heavier yarns. The light stuff seems nice enough.

Julie, who lives in Hawaii and uses a lot of cotton. :)

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

jjporep@hotmail.com
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  7:42:16 PM  Show Profile Send jjporep@hotmail.com a Private Message
Trish--it just proves great minds think a like.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe