Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Chicks-With-Sticks Ebay'er - WARNING!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  1:55:58 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
I know other people have had success with this ebay seller, but I have to vent my frustrations! I bought ten skeins of d.b. cashmerino aran from her auction. I paid IMMEDIATELY after it closed (by Paypal). I waited 7 days, and emailed her when I hadn't yet received the yarn. I waited another 4 days, emailed her again, and checked her Ebay auctions. No response to my emails. I noticed she didn't have anything up for sale, and that 2 other buyers had left her negative feedback because they didn't receive their purchases either. So of course I get worried.

The next day I requested her contact information from Ebay, and contested the charges through Paypal. I called her home and after some checking, she determined that she had sent it to the wrong address, and would re-send it. I will say that she was very cordial, and that she indicated her son had been in the hospital. I felt bad for her.

HOWEVER, I did feel really put out that I waited for more than 2 weeks to receive the item I paid for immediately, went through a lot of trouble navigating ebay's and paypal's websites to find the correct procedures, and making long distance calls to her home in idaho. I withdrew my paypal and ebay complaints, but left her NEUTRAL feedback because she was nonresponsive and because she claims she sent it to the wrong address to begin with.

she then left me NEGATIVE feedback, saying that her son was in the hospital, so I shouldn't have left my neutral feedback.

If you haven't bought on ebay, the feedback is important because other people can determine whether they want to buy from or sell to you.

Now, I understand that people have events happen in their lives that are tragic and uncontrollable. I can definitely sympathize if she has a loved one who is ill. BUT - she was still running a business
and has certain obligations to that, right? I only left neutral feedback (not negative) because I chose to give her the benefit of the doubt that her son was sick and that she sent the yarn to the wrong address initially.

It really just made me mad that she would write something negative about me when I paid her literally within minutes of the auction closing, and was patient enough to wait 2 weeks! Am I wrong here? If so, someone please tell me!
Here are all the things I'm feeling:

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  2:15:42 PM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
I think especially since you went to the trouble of withdrawing your original feedback and changing it, she should show you the same courtesy. A lot of people would not have bothered to remove the original negative feedback. Although I would say she deserves some consideration for eventually making it right (anyone can make an error) I think she is wrong to fault YOU when you obviously played by the rules. You paid right away like you were supposed to, it is not your fault she sent it to the wrong place.

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  2:56:44 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I sympathize with your frustration. I believe you can now comment on feedback, so you can add something after her negative feedback. That's the best you can hope for on ebay where feedback cannot be retracted.

IME the feedback system is flawed because people are afraid of retaliation if they leave negative or neutral feedback after a transaction, even if it's entirely justified. So they say nothing, leaving others to have the same bad experience with that buyer/seller.

I have left negative feedback only when someone was clearly delinquent in the transaction, e.g. when a purchase doesn't arrive or is defective and get no response to repeated emails. In one case after I left negative feedback, the seller promptly posted negative feedback for me because of my "lack of compassion". She claimed to have been ill (a lie, she was selling and emailing on ebay, easy to prove) which explained why she hadn't shipped my item a MONTH after being paid. So I have this in my profile and there's nothing I can do about it.

Take a deep breath and write this off as a learning experience.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  3:32:58 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
Good advice, Cheryl! Just the fact that I've posted the experience helps make it not so bad! Thanks to you and Kat (and all other KR's) for hearing me out.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  3:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
You are not wrong and if possible you should add something on ebay similar to what you have written above. She is running a business and therefore should not be alienating her customers.

Wen

2004 stats: 4 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
Thanks for the warning. I really appreciate the fact that you have let us know about your experiance and that is one of the reasons that these forums are so great! I was actually considering buying some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran of her myself (not so long ago) so now there is no way that that is ever going to happen.

On a seperate note the reason that I didn't buy of her is that I found Cucumberpath in the UK www.cucumberpatch.com Prices are just as good - service is fantastic and no ebay stress involved.

Jacqueline

PS. I am not affiliated in anyway - just one happy consumer!

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  4:18:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
I buy using ebay,and sell thru ebay as well. Much as I value positive feedback, I must say that you were more than kind in only leaving her neutral feedback. In my opinion she should not have left you negative feedback. I believe you can respond to her negative feedback. Perhaps you should do that. It will appear below her negative feedback of you and people reading the feedback may be less likely to consider it a black mark against your name.
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  4:20:07 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
Thanks Jacqueline - I'm always glad to hear of a good website with good prices! I couldn't get the link to work, but I'll do a search and look for it.
Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  4:23:42 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I just tried that link I gave you and I also couldn't get onto the site. Even though I got on not 1/2 hour ago. Maybe she is having some problems. I would recommend you give her a couple of hours and see what happens then.

Alternatively her email address is:

knit2tog@ntlworld.com

Hope this helps

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

Julie914
Gabber Extraordinaire

481 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  4:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Julie914's Homepage Send Julie914 a Private Message
I've been around this wide world a couple times, lived 35 years, and logged enough travel miles to circle the earth more than once. In all that, I've learned one very important lesson: Some people are just idiots. Ignore them when you can, kick them out of your way when you can't, and get on with life.

If you dwell on the idiots in the world you'll end up cynical and crabby like me. How's that for a warning?
Julie

I'd try recreational drugs, but they'd cut into my yarn budget.
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
A great warning, Julie, although I think I may already be there! But your lesson made me lol, so that's worth something!
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  5:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Retaliatory feedback is against ebay rules.
Contact them explaining the issue and they may remove the negative she left for you. She was in the wrong and it definitely was retaliatory

:) amy
www.theboogerblog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  5:42:10 PM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
Amy - thank you for the helpful tip. I looked into it, but you basically have to have a court order declaring it libel or slander (seriously). Here is part of the automated response I got from ebay:

While we understand your concerns about
retaliatory and negative feedback, we cannot prevent someone from
retaliating when you leave a negative comment. It is best to leave
honest and professional comments about your experiences with other
members to prevent someone else from having the same problem with a
trading partner.

I tried to be honest, and even said she had a good excuse, but they only let you write 80 characters!! As you can see from my original post, this is difficult for me :)
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  5:54:23 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
Well you definitely need to do a response to her negative feedback if eBay won't remove it. I left someone negative feedback once for very similar circumstances and they left some lame feedback on mine blaming the post office for it not getting there on time (once she mailed the package it only took a few days to get it but it was over a month from when I paid for the item that she mailed it)... I responded about it not being the P.O.'s fault.

By the way... she can also rebut your neutral feedback and you get one more opportunity to respond there too so if I were you I would check there too.

karen in the U.P. of MI
Go to Top of Page

anderknit
Permanent Resident

USA
2608 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  6:38:13 PM  Show Profile Send anderknit a Private Message
I just checked ebay - this seller got 4 negative feedbacks in the last 2 weeks. I know it doesn't help the negative feedback you got from her, but perhaps you could add that piece of info when you respond to the feedback she left you.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
Go to Top of Page

tess1e
Seriously Hooked

United Kingdom
627 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit tess1e's Homepage Send tess1e a Private Message
In the words of the immortal Monty Python crew....

"I fart in your general direction - your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries...."

Scream, then hit the chocolate and think sublime tranquil thoughts - she's a timewaster and not worth your left pinky.

ps And I would copy and paste your story into the response section!! Don't get mad - get even. :-)

www.yarn-shop.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Ost
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  7:33:00 PM  Show Profile Send Ost a Private Message
I'm a beautician and I bring my knitting everyday to work that way if I get a break between customers I have something to do.
Go to Top of Page

CATE
Gabber Extraordinaire

416 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  1:24:43 PM  Show Profile Send CATE a Private Message
jade, I think your so right! I think people are sometime afraid to leave less than positive feedback on ebay, because of what that person may leave for you, even if you totally deserved 100% positive feeedback.

Tangled Up
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CATE

jade, I think your so right! I think people are sometime afraid to leave less than positive feedback on ebay, because of what that person may leave for you, even if you totally deserved 100% positive feeedback.

Tangled Up

And rightly so, as it turns out! Ebay would be wise to figure out a more equitable way of rating people.
Go to Top of Page

A10CO
Gabber Extraordinaire

577 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  10:21:33 AM  Show Profile Send A10CO a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CATE

Tangled Up

And rightly so, as it turns out! Ebay would be wise to figure out a more equitable way of rating people.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe