Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 How to Use the Knitter's Review Forums
 Just have to remember where each topic started
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moxie
Seriously Hooked

844 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  12:47:05 PM  Show Profile Send moxie a Private Message
The unhappy conflict in the "Knitting gives me pride" thread gives me an idea about one source of the "change in tone" that some people are worried about.

There are certain kinds of responses (thought provoking, contradictory, kneejerk, etc.) to a post that belong in the "At your own risk" OT forums. These are not the type of loving, supportive messages that are customary in the "Knitting as Therapy" forum. We forgot, as the conversation developed, where we were! That happens in real life, too, but usually you can catch the expressions of your listeners before you upset anyone or hurt feelings.

Please, let's be careful to remember the context when we click on that interesting "Active Topic." I don't think that we should feel limited to let a conversation roam to its fascinating conclusion, but we should keep more aware of our tone outside of the At Risk areas.

Pretend that you're in a big, comfy room full of sofas and knitters. Outside the At Risk area, you have everyone (including some young teenagers and very proper-looking old ladies) working peacefully away, talking quietly once in a while. If you go to another room, perhaps you see a small earnest group of people clustered around another person, who is telling them something personal about his/her own life.

The "At Risk" area is another room, perhaps with alcoholic drinks, perhaps with loud music, definitely a lively, handwaving, rowdy place. Voices are at a regular level or sometimes even raised-- you can hear cries of "You're full of it!", "So sue me!", and hoots of laughter or disbelief. Lots of fun, not for everybody at all times though.

Let's not charge straight from one area to the other without taking a brief moment for adjustment, and I think we'll be okay.

Moxie

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  7:20:39 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Moxie this is the most intelligent thing I have read today. I also think that judgin by how much KR has grown, it would be wise to get some moderators to gently remind people when things are getting OT, or to move threads to the appropriate At Risk section when needed.

I love your description of the At Risk - sound slike Knitting at the Go Go!

You rock, sister!

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  01:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
I love your metaphor :-) Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Josh A.
N. California -> Rochester, NY
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  01:48:14 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Moxie, I have to agree with Monika, your post gently but firmly puts things into perspective. Thanks.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 7 FOs, 2 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  06:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Moxie,

Thank you for your post, as ususal you are right on track! Do I sense parenting skills coming out in you?

Thanks for reminding us to use our "inside voices" more often

Martheme

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  07:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
Wow, Moxie!
That was eloquently stated!

Kimberly, kniting in VA
WIP: 4 FO: 0
Finished Patchworks Squares: 7
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000