Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 How to Use the Knitter's Review Forums
 not quite new but kinda feeling sad around here...
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  8:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
I'm still kind of new here (but it now says "warming up" instead of "new pal"!!) and I must say from my first posting I just love this place. I love how passionate people are about knitting. I love learning about yarns, needles, techniques etc... I love seeing people's finished project pictures and I love knowing who is knitting what etc... I've learned a TON and I haven't jumped in to help anyone else out yet (maybe some day) but I do appreciate everyone who has helped me out.

It seems to forums grow and change. Maybe the recent upsurge in knitting has sent more people into KR. I tried out a couple of Knitting Forums and I like this one the best. Because the people are real- and kind and intelligent. But, all the stuff I have been reading lately about people leaving and stuff makes me feel like maybe all us newer people are coming in and changing everything that everyone else loved so much.

I participated a few times in the marriage topic- I loved the chance to interact with some different people about this issue and read what people had to say. Fact of the matter is, there was some stuff posted that made my heart beat faster and stirred me up a bit. But, I tried to keep in mind that this is not face to face interactions (thus difficult to interpret) and that people come from different places and have different ideas. Honestly (and I really mean this) I don't feel like this topic or others like it has made me feel less friendly toward anyone on this forum at all. Instead I feel more like this is a real, diverse group of passionate knitters!

So, like I said I don't mind the OT folders- sometimes I'll read them and sometimes I won't. Mostly I really appreciate the space to have open dialogue with folks. But if this is really changing how things feel around here for people then maybe they should go. I really enjoy reading this forum daily (for the knitting) but lately it has just seemed sad.

-just a newbie's thoughts- Wendy

jj1150
Chatty Knitter

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  12:50:12 AM  Show Profile Send jj1150 a Private Message
I agree with Wendy and others who have mentioned, shall we say, a change of attitude, in the posters here. I was on vacation for 9 days and noticed the change when I came back. This is a real shame, as this is a place where people come to learn, help and socialize with other knitters ... this is a truly great place.

I have learned a lot from just reading things here; and have always gotten responses when I've had a question or two.

I have also noticed a few people leaving; maybe they are just too sensitive, but even so, when feelings are being hurt and they feel their opinions are being picked on, something has to give ...

We need to "lighten up" people ... this is a wonderful forum, full of wonderful people and we need to keep it that way.

jody (just my 2 cents worth)
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  06:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Hi Wendy--

I, too, visited the marriage topic (enjoyed your posts, too) but have decided I have had enough of it. Pretty much all that can be said has been said, and it's starting to just be repeats.

I have decided that if I don't like the tone of KR, then it's up to me to help improve things. So I'm trying to think twice before I post, and avoid topics that look/sound like they may be an "itchy" one, if you know what I mean. Of course, even with that vow I've managed to rile a few people, completely unintentionally!! Maybe people ARE being more touchy, or maybe my posts "read" harsher than I thought? Dunno, but all I can do is try!

--Susan T-O in Long Beach CA

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression." --Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  08:46:49 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
If someone wants to leave that is their choice and that is fine. But I still don't understand how some people are getting so upset that they have to leave. I mean, the extremely educated, flameless discussion on some very controversial topics here cannot possibly be the most offensive thing anyone's ever seen on the Internet! If soneone can't deal with controversial things being present and just not reading them, how do they ever read a newspaper or magazine, or talk to people at work or listen to the radio? If I pick up a magazine and it has an article I don't agree with, I don't boycott the magazine for life, I put it down and don't read it. I don't get into a state about it.

I read the entire 'knitting gives me pride' thread, thinking maybe I missed something, that there was some kind of big offensive thing I didn't notice, but all I saw was polite disagreement and discussion. Maybe I am thicker skinned or something but I don't think it's worth it to get all upset about something you read on a forum.

I still like to come here and read what's going on. I think hearing about people's opinions on topics other than knitting offers us a broader understanding of each other and makes everyone seem more real. You don't knit in a vaccuum--your knitting is a part of the rest of your life, and the rest of your life affects your knitting. You can't possibly talk about *just* knitting without it getting horribly boring! Who you are and what you live affects what you knit, where you knit, how you knit, and with what you knit.

I like hearing about my fellow knitters on things other than just knitting! That is what makes us friends, a community, rather than just a bunch of people 'talking shop'.

My $0.02

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  09:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
Awwww. What a sweet post.

One thing you said really resonated with me: I don't feel like this topic or others like it has made me feel less friendly toward anyone on this forum at all.

I feel very similarly. As much as I vehemently disagreed with some of the thoughts and arguments I encountered in the same-sex marriage thread, I didn't allow them or my responses to change how I feel about any of the people here. I couldn't even tell you the names of the people who posted those words I disagreed with so greatly.

Perhaps it's just pragmatism... disliking anybody isn't going to enhance my experiences here. So why bother?

Josh A.
N. California -> Rochester, NY
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  8:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
Thanks everyone- your comments in response to my post make me feel a little better about things. I am so busy this week anyway that I have gotten behind on reading so many posts!

Knittykat- I agree that in reading over posts I see polite disagreement where maybe others see something more problematic. Perceptions will always be different- and tone is so hard to convey online. And I also like to know my fellow knitters beyond what's on their needles. B/c knitting really is about life- we all knit though all kinds of times- scary, sad, happy and it really is a part of our lives. So, knowing everyone better is just good.

And Josh- I don't think I've ever said anything that's been considered "sweet" before- I must have had a weak moment!! lol

I've only knit 2 rows in the last couple days- no good at all. So, I going to go knit right now!!

-Wendy
Go to Top of Page

Josh A.
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  03:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Josh A.'s Homepage Send Josh A. a Private Message
Your secret is safe with me :D

Josh A.
N. California -> Rochester, NY
Go to Top of Page

Jenny
Permanent Resident

1613 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  08:57:02 AM  Show Profile Send Jenny a Private Message
Well said and thank you. I've been reading more lately then posting for the reasons you mentioned. As a newbie, I don't want to ruffle any feathers. I just wanted to feel connected to others who enjoy my hobby/passion-that's why I like this forum. And the OT threads do have a disclaimer - enter at your own risk.
Jenny
WA State
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  09:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I feel like things are calming down a bit now. There is usually one good argument going on at any given time since I have been on KR. I think some of the discomfort occurred when there were 3 or 4 intense "discussions" happening all at once.

knitting hiatus: nothing on needles since 2/20/04
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  09:49:32 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
I think a lot of the tension and 'ruffly feathers' happened because it was new. It was a change, and it takes a while to get used to. But nothing stays the same forever and we all have to work together to make positive changes.

Yarny hugs

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  01:55:53 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I enjoyed reading some of the more intense discussions that have ensued lately but after a while they bored me a little so I didn't go ther anymore. I think these discussions/heated debates show that we are intelligent people who can engage in conversations outside of just the knitting topics (which I still enjoy immensely). If everyone agreed with everything everyone else said all the time the world would be a very boring place.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 7 FOs, 2 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  12:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
I love hearing the different opinions of others. It can make me really stop and think differently about a subject. If everyone is kind in their postings, it can be very interesting.

Teresa
California
Knitting and More
http://journals.aol.com/knit2relax/KnittingandMore/
Go to Top of Page

kokopelmana
Chatty Knitter

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  1:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit kokopelmana's Homepage  Send kokopelmana a Yahoo! Message Send kokopelmana a Private Message
Kat, I'm with you - and everyone else posting here. I read some of the "heated" discussions since I had been away for a couple weeks but it didn't fluster me at all. I had nothing to add that hadn't already been said by the time I got to reading so I didn't post. No sense rehashing. That does get boring but hey, I just don't click on stuff that doesn't interest me.

I admire everyone who stated their opinion honestly and politely. I don't understand those who let it get to them. But that is not a judgment BY ANY MEANS. We all react to things differently - and on different days.

All I have to add is, kudos to everyone who is handling the discussions like adults. This forum is awesome and I am so glad to be a small part of it.

Kelly

"Be here now." - Ram Dass
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.