Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The strange places you find bargains (Aus)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  5:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
I went to Riot art and crafts yesterday. This shop carries really cheap art and craft supplies, no yarn, no cottons....well normally.

They had a feathers equivalent for $1.49 for 50g and an Ostrich equivalent for $1.99. As ostrich is selling for around $7 I got a few balls of this to try out a pattern I have. If it doesn't work I will do one of those scarves on 15mm needles where you give it a flick and it turns into an open work lacy shawl. Not bad for $7.95.

Wen

2004 stats: 4 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  09:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
Yard/garage sales and thrift stores. We have Saver's thrift shops here, I think you have them in Australia too. Once in a while I spot a bag of old yarn that may or may not have needles still in it. Sometimes the yarn is smelly so I end up ditching it, but I get the needles for a a dollar or less. I also got two cones of "something" a few weeks ago. Not sure what it is or what I will do with it...

Also church sales usually have a bunch of assorted needles in a vase or jar. I usually get the lot for a dollar or two. As a result I get some single or broken needles, but usually get a bunch of good ones.

"SmellyCat, SmellyCat, what are they feeding you?"
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  1:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Good find, Wen! I love getting bargains! The latest one was four skeins of an alpaca/wool blend and one of an angora/wool blend. Each for only $2.50NZ!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  3:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Wow! it's never occured to me to look for yarn at Riot. I've never even noticed that they sell yarn, but then agai, i never looked. I'll go take a look next time am there. Thanks Wen!
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  12:28:20 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I also picked up some Ostrich-like yarn at Dimmey's today for $1.99 per ball and it knits up okay.
Vaxgirl, I have bought yarn at Savers on a few occasions and always found a good bargain.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 5 FOs, 4 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  6:38:34 PM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message
The most unexpected place I found yarn was in the organic food store at my local fresh food markets!!!!

It was organic (undyed) merino. Very soft (it passed my neck test) and yummy. They were selling it in packs of 10 balls for $29. What a bargain and what strength I had as I walked out empty handed with visions of my ever growing stash guilting me!!!!

They did have some nice earthy colours, cream, chocolatey brown, fawn, black - very similar to the undyed colour range of alpaca.....shall I tempt my fellow Aussies and offer to pick up some on your behalf???...at least his way I can acquire yarn vicariously through others!!! heheheheheheeee.... If you are interested, PM me.

Maisie.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Maisie, where do you live?

Wen

2004 stats: 4 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  6:53:03 PM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message
Hi Wen,

I'm in the ACT.

Maisie.
Go to Top of Page

celia
Permanent Resident

Australia
2454 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  7:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit celia's Homepage Send celia a Private Message
Hi maisie,
Which fresh food markets is this? I am in Canberra from time to time - normally not more than once a year, but nonetheless...
I normally stay at a B&B and we drve around. BF and I both love markets, and I'd love to check out this yarn next time I am in town!
Thanks
celia
Go to Top of Page

littlemaze
New Pal

Australia
46 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  7:28:23 PM  Show Profile Send littlemaze a Private Message
Hi Celia,

It's the organic food shop at Belconnen Markets. Not sure if the yarn is a constant stock item or a fleeting thing. It was on sale from $49 to $29 a packet of 10 50gm balls. I have a feeling it might be a special stock item, especially with winter coming up.

Maisie.
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  01:00:18 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
BTW this isn't a strange place for bargains, but Lincraft has 25% off all yarn and 10% off needles until Monday (for all you Aussies who don't have a telly!)

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 7 FOs, 2 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

jjporep@hotmail.com
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  05:58:07 AM  Show Profile Send jjporep@hotmail.com a Private Message
You ladies are quite lucky with the bargains. Every once in a while I find needles at the Goodwill (thrift shop). When I know someone is interested in learning to knit, I package up a pair of these needles, some inexpensive yarn, and a scarf pattern. I thought is that I'm able to spread the joy of knitting to another person and find a bargain along the way. P.S. What exactly is ostrich yarn? Sounds intriguing! Jodie in Wisconsin, USA
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
It is a eyelash type yarn, not actually made from Ostrich feathers, it is a long haired polyester.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 7 FOs, 2 WIPs

Go to Top of Page

jjporep@hotmail.com
Chatty Knitter

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  5:06:47 PM  Show Profile Send jjporep@hotmail.com a Private Message
Thanks for the explanation. I just couldn't figure out how ostriches and yarn went together. Is this type the kind that you can knit alone or is better knitted with another yarn? I've use acrylic eyelash yarn that was better with another yarn.
Go to Top of Page

Wen
Permanent Resident

Australia
3244 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  9:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wen's Homepage Send Wen a Private Message
Patons come up with some odd names for their yarns! It is fairly thin yarn, Patons has patterns for it both on its own and mixed with other yarns. The recommended needle for using it by itself is 4.5mm. (size 7).

Wen

2004 stats: 5 FO, 5 WIP, 15 wool purchased. 2 frogpond
Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  6:51:15 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message
I like to go to "Everything's a Dollar" stores and scope for yarn. We have one here in the town that I live in that always has overrun colors -- sometimes a wool acrylic blend and other times plain acrylic. I get lots for making charity items and things for my young niece. At a dollar a skein you can't lose! A friend told me that the local thrift shop here often has a lot of yarn but I haven't checked it out....

karen in the U.P. of MI
Go to Top of Page

Artemis
Chatty Knitter

USA
188 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  7:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Artemis a Yahoo! Message Send Artemis a Private Message
Thrift stores can be an amazing place for bargains. I found a huge bag of cheapo acrylic yarn (about 20 skeins), with miscellaneous really nice mohair yarns (about 11 skeins) mixed in and a small bag with 10 balls of Valeri Di Roma 100% Angora yarn. They sold this massive bag, hip high to me for $6 dollars. I left with the most maniacal grin on my face as if they accidently overpaid me a million dollas. I go back to that place every two weeks. You never know.

Also, we have estate sales advertised in the newspapers, they are a fabulous place for really nice knitting tools, i.e. needles, cases, baskets, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe