Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Let's see your stash's home!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  9:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Your grandmother's chest is beautiful and how handy to have your stash all right there!

Most of my stash is in my shed in big plastic bins with lids, where it has been most of the winter. Now that it is getting warmer, I need to know if this is safe for wool during the summer? It is dry here, only get rain usually in July and August. The shed is a huge wooden one with a wood floor raised up on railroad ties. It's pretty waterproof, no problems in 8 years so far. Some of my stash is in the house in an old dresser that my MIL restored. It had been painted a nasty gray and had very utilitarian chrome handles on it. She bought it at a garage sale and removed the paint and finished it with stain and varnish. It is very plain, but looks so much better varnished. New handles, too, brass ones. One or two of my kids have used it and now that two of them are out of the house, it's an extra. The dresser sits in "my" sewing room/office, which is really one end of a large family room. Since we made an office for dh in one bedroom, I had to clean out all my odds and ends of stash and get them mostly in one place. Oh, and the shed has a small window and a fan in the ceiling, so I try to not let it get unbearably hot in there, or we would expire when we go in there to get something!! I did put cedar blocks and ivory soap in with the wool.

Barb
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  12:48:29 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Hello, ladies (and gents if there are any still around!)! First and foremost, let me say I miss you all sooooo much! Life has gotten really busy with moving from AZ to MS, selling a house, finding a job, buying another house, and then moving again--I've just not had time to drop in for more than a minute here and there. New names all over the place! Wonder if anyone even remembers me!! lol

Seeing this topic, I've just got to crow! We got a great new (ok, built in '76 and has the harvest gold bathroom to prove it!) house with 5, count 'em FIVE bedrooms! The heck with the 1.5 acres, the pool, the workshop for DH, I've got a room all to myself for my stash! Unfortunately, the stash is still mostly in storage. Over the next few weeks, we're hoping to get most of our stuff out of there and into the house. It's a long process with just the two of us old poops moving all that heavy stuff and working full time to boot. Once I'm set, I'll get some pics of the room and post them...I'm not afraid to show you my mess! !!!;-D!!!

Hopefully we'll get connected at home soon and I can visit more often. For now, it's back to managing credit and knitting during lunch!

missing you,
chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

ladybugger
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  3:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit ladybugger's Homepage Send ladybugger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by knitterpatsy

I have an old railroad chest that I'd like to use, but it has a nasty smell. Any ideas on making it smell good?

Knitterpatsy - they sell thin sheets of cedar with adhesive backing, much like contact paper. You might try lining your chest with those. A google search will give you a million sources. It might work!

Nissa
Go to Top of Page

catspaw@ntelos.net

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  7:16:35 PM  Show Profile Send catspaw@ntelos.net a Private Message
What? Just one chest? You call that a stash! Last summer I persuaded my husband to build me a storage shed. Admittedly I do have a respectable spinning stash too and the shed is by no means full - yet. I do have a full steamer chest and the guest room serves as overflow from my regular craft room, plus there are 3 projects in the living room and one in the car. I plan to build a ziggarat or pyramid so I can take the stash into the afterlife. Who says you can't take it with you! I'm gonna try.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?