Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Stash management
 Let's see your stash's home!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

XavierMusketeer
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  12:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit XavierMusketeer's Homepage Send XavierMusketeer a Private Message
My stash got a new home yesterday. My (deceased) grandmother's antique cedar chest. It needs to be refinished sometime, but looks good enough for now!

Photos of it may be seen here: http://knitting.xaviermusketeer.com/chest/

Plenty of room for all of my stash (although I keep the WIPs in a basket), and room to spare...for now.

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  12:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
How beautiful! Just think of how good the yarn is going to smell - not to mention how happy your grandmother must be, sitting up there in the clouds watching her cedar chest be filled once again.

Great thread topic, by the way. C'mon folks, show us your stashes! (Notice how I avoid any mention of showing my own... )

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

OKnitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  1:10:23 PM  Show Profile Send OKnitter a Private Message
Beautiful!!! Kinda makes me want to get organized myself

Ana
Knitting in Florida
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  2:58:43 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
The cedar chest is lovely!

No way am I going to show my stash to anyone.

Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  3:05:44 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Xavier, i just saw your post of this picture on Live Journal. I loved it. I still love it here in Knitters Review as well.

Lelani

"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." White
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  3:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I'd have to spend the day cleaning before I could shoot a picture LOL! I wish I had your beautiful antique chest, it's lovely!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Sylvie LG
Warming Up

France
89 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  3:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sylvie LG's Homepage Send Sylvie LG a Private Message
What a great place for yarn!
Well, do you intend to limit your stash at the size of your cedar chest?? Of course you don't have to answer if you don't wish to...

Sylvie (with a quite ridiculous stash in plastic bags...)

http://site.voila.fr/chez_mamounette
http://community.webshots.com/user/vivileg
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  3:50:11 PM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
That chest is amazing. I really love it! I wish my stash had a home as nice as that. Currently, my stash is living on the floor in the corner of the family room, in some boxes in the as yet unfurnished living/dining room, and in boxes in my bedroom closet.

I've got to get organized!

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  12:06:25 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
The chest is gorgeous and makes a reat coffee table too.

Happy Knitting,
Tam in Melbourne

2004 Stats: 5 FOs, 4 WIPs

Women are like tea bags - you don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water.
Go to Top of Page

Sylvie LG
Warming Up

France
89 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  12:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sylvie LG's Homepage Send Sylvie LG a Private Message
Tam,

I just notice today the sentence under your signing! And I'm laughing alone in front of the computer, will show that to my 3 men this evening, they'll think I'm crazy!

Hugs,
Sylvie from France
Go to Top of Page

XavierMusketeer
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  10:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit XavierMusketeer's Homepage Send XavierMusketeer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lelani

Xavier, i just saw your post of this picture on Live Journal. I loved it. I still love it here in Knitters Review as well.

Lelani

Hello to another LJer! What's your LJ username? I'd love to check out your journal. :)
Go to Top of Page

XavierMusketeer
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  10:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit XavierMusketeer's Homepage Send XavierMusketeer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvie LG

What a great place for yarn!
Well, do you intend to limit your stash at the size of your cedar chest?? Of course you don't have to answer if you don't wish to...

The chest is pretty big, my yarn currently only fills about half of it. And, I tend to not accumulate yarn just to have it, most of what I have is for specific projects (it's just a matter of when I get around to those projects!). So, I think my stash will probably rotate enough to not overflow the chest too much!
Go to Top of Page

VaxGirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
511 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  11:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit VaxGirl's Homepage Send VaxGirl a Private Message
It looks so pretty and organized. Like Clara, I was also thinking about the great cedar smell, yum!

"SmellyCat, SmellyCat, what are they feeding you?"
Go to Top of Page

CATE
Gabber Extraordinaire

416 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  11:50:44 AM  Show Profile Send CATE a Private Message
It's a beauty! I really love things that are passed down from one family member to another.

Tangled Up
Go to Top of Page

sunbonnet45
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  10:13:43 AM  Show Profile Send sunbonnet45 a Private Message
Talk about deja vu! My grandmother had the very same chest (or one that looks so much like it). It was passed down to me, and now my daughter is saving her "hope chest" things in it. Very spooky to see my grandma's cedar chest on the internet. The chest was a high school graduation present to my grandmother from her parents.
Go to Top of Page

Martheme
Sustaining Member

USA
1565 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  10:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Martheme's Homepage  Send Martheme a Yahoo! Message Send Martheme a Private Message
Hi,

Great Chest! I'd think twice before touching the finish, I've been watching lots of "Antique's Roadshow" lately and they mentioned that ususally its best to have the original finish. . . might want to have an expert look at it!

I'd show my stash but I'm not sure I could get it all in the same room for a photo . . . anyone have a wide angle lense handy?

Martheme

visit my blog @ http://martheme.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  11:31:14 AM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
The stash in the chest is gorgeous, just like the chest. But, like many of you, I will never show my stash; that is, until it's knitted up into something. I moved into my current home about 2.5 years ago, which gave me the opportunity to accumulate my stash all in one area. That's handy, but still a little scary. Who knew there was so much?

Rev Sedgwick
Go to Top of Page

jburns2@nycap.rr.com

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  12:06:28 PM  Show Profile Send jburns2@nycap.rr.com a Private Message
I have just returned to knitting. Gave it up 30+ years ago when the children were small. I just couldn't resist these beautiful funky scarves and made them for all my "girls" and friends for Christmas. It soon became a disease and I was unable to stay away from yarn stores. My stash is presently housed in bags, but I stopped buying in the beginning of February. Unless, of course,I have to buy something to match what I have already purchased. I took a spring/summer scarf class and am enjoying the thought of knowing that I can give gifts right through the summer. My business is teaching beading, so eventually I will incorporate beads into my knitting. This is all very exciting and I am finding beaders in my classes who are also knitters.
Go to Top of Page

knitterpatsy
New Pal

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  3:37:10 PM  Show Profile Send knitterpatsy a Private Message
Great place for your stash! Is it big enough? I have mine--OK part of mine--in an antique chifferobe. Then there are the dozen or so baskets and the bags in my sewing room, big basket by my chair with things on needles, and . . .. Trust me, you don't want pictures. I have an old railroad chest that I'd like to use, but it has a nasty smell. Any ideas on making it smell good?

knitterpatsy
Go to Top of Page

XavierMusketeer
Chatty Knitter

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  6:18:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit XavierMusketeer's Homepage Send XavierMusketeer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Martheme
Great Chest! I'd think twice before touching the finish, I've been watching lots of "Antique's Roadshow" lately and they mentioned that ususally its best to have the original finish. . . might want to have an expert look at it!

While that's generally true, I searched to find an approximate value of the chest. It's not worth enough to worry about it. It's one of those things that has more value staying in the family and being cleaned up and used rather than potentially sold.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  8:51:24 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I bought a chest just like that 6 years ago at an auction. It was in terrible shape as it had stood in the rain for months so it only cost me $200. With the shape your chest is in, perhaps you should treat it gently and check a few more sources for its value--for insurance purposes. Unfortunately something that size will only hold my leftover balls of yarn. I have to get started on some multicolored items.

fran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.