Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Just Getting Started - Beginning to Spin
 Twist to Share
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Da Stitcher
Chatty Knitter

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  06:41:28 AM  Show Profile Send Da Stitcher a Private Message
My wheel is finally here and I've been spinning non stop since Tuesday. As would be expected, I have enough twist in my yarn to share with several other spinners. So, now that I've adjusted my tension, and learned that spinning from the fold is a really good thing , how do I begin to gauge my yarn before it's wound on the bobbin as have a more even and usable amount of twist in it? What should I look for in order to start evening out my yarn, (although that's getting better already) and making sure to have enough but not too much twist.

It looks beautiful on the bobbin, but once off, I find soooooo many thick and thin spots with no twist in the thick and waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much in the thin. I know practice makes perfect, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be practicing!

Becky
da_stitcher@yahoo.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tucson_socknitters

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  07:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
You're right, Becky - practice does make perfect. That'd be my advice for now - don't bother trying for a consistent gauge quite yet, just focus on getting more comfortable with the mechanics of your spinning - the dance between spin and the drafting triangle, the even flow of fiber through your hands, etc.

One quick thing you can do if you haven't already, is take your spun strand and fold it in half, letting it twist back on itself. You'll immediately see how it will ply together, and that's where you can spot too much twist or too little twist. It's a delicate dance, and you will get much, much better with every yard of fiber you spin. Practice really does work in this case.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  3:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
I totally agree with Clara - practice is what is needed! Don't stress at this point, consistency (or close to it!) will come in time.
quote:
how do I begin to gauge my yarn before it's wound on the bobbin

One hint - don't take too much notice of what your thread looks like before it goes on your bobbin. Gently pull off a sample from what has been wound onto the bobbin and, as Clara suggested, let it fold back on itself. Break this piece off and keep it somewhere handy on your wheel and use it to check the plying later on. Your plying should mimic this sample if you want a balanced yarn. A good spinning book will give you more hints on getting the right amount of twist.
Happy spinning!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.