Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 KNITTER'S ANONYMOUS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
7. We will never knit and drive. ALWAYS use a designated driver. If you must knit and drive, please do it only while waiting at red lights, or when stuck in traffic in large cities, such as D.C. or in California!

8. We will Try to control our urges to push our obsession on other people, but if others should become addicted because of us, we will offer to help them buy more yarn, patterns or needles.

OOH, I got 3 stars when I wasn't looking. Pays to gab!
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  8:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Well, I am back safe and sound (and one sock later) from the baseball game. No, I did not appear on the Jumbotron(guess the cameras don't reach up to the third deck "nosebleed" seats) but Lori and I did knit between holding children, potty runs, feeding Lemon Chills to the 3 year old one spoon full at a time and cheering ourselves silly.

While I missed my chance to educate 41,969 people about knitting, I am sure that those surrounding section 307, row 12, seat 13 are much enlightened! Even better, Lori's husband carried our bags into and out of the stadium! What a guy! (those bags of M&M's and bottles of water get very heavy)

For the record, I did have to go through security with my totebag. They didn't even blink at my knitting which was two pairs of socks (can't be without, what if I finished the first one?!) and the appropriate balls of yarn wound up and all put in individual ziplock baggies. (gotta do something to keep the moisture outta the knitting when the beer man trips and falls behind you. yes, he was ok.)

Here's hoping we make it to the World Series so I can knit afghans!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  9:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Way to go Alissa. At least some people saw you knitting!

Go to Top of Page

n2rockwlls
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2002 :  1:43:57 PM  Show Profile Send n2rockwlls a Private Message
Poor Beer Man... Does that constitute alcohol abuse?

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  7:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
You bet it does! Amazingly he didn't break a single bottle!!!

Next time, Ken, you come knit with me at the ballpark. I bet we get on the Jumbotron then

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

n2rockwlls
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  07:51:17 AM  Show Profile Send n2rockwlls a Private Message
Sounds good... I'll buy the beer!

Go to Top of Page

Chrys
Chatty Knitter

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Chrys a Yahoo! Message Send Chrys a Private Message
Hi, I'm Christy, and I think that I qualify as a binge-knitter, aspiring to be a full-fledged full-time knitting addict. I go through spells where I knit a great deal for several days, also going through my books. But then I can go through dry spells where for days, or even recently a few weeks, when I do not knit at all. Reading posts on the forum helped to bring me out of the last dry spell. Hearing about all the WIPs made me think of my own. I love doing it, just am very busy here. I need to make more time so that I too can be completely addicted (I have dreamed about knitting and going to yarn stores, so I have hope)

Christy

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I have done it, again. Last night at my local "meeting," I was huddled in the corner "pushing" to a fresh soul. She never stood a chance! She even brought her own paraphernalia, you know, clean needles. I think I may have brought her over to the dark side.

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  07:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Wow - last night I couldn't even get to a meeting, I just spent all night looking up knitting needles for sale on eBay. You won't believe the amount of needles you can get for an absurdly low price.

Why collect so many extras? Because we must always have extra needles available for those chance encounters with weak souls. Just one stitch, that's all it takes!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  08:11:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
9. When we are enabling others to pursue their own yarn addiction, we will keep in mind that "no question is to silly to ask," or to answer.

10. We will, on occasion, sort through our yarn stashes and donate excess yarn to various charities, thereby enabling us to fill the spaces left with more yarn. This also helps the charities to increase their stashes.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  7:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Oh, Ya'll, I have the ultimate knitter's heartbreak! One of my guild friend's home burned to the ground this week. She lost everything, every bit of her knitting as well. Everyone in the house was fine, so she has all the important things in life, her friends and family. We took up a collection at our guild banquet last night to help her replace her stash. The poor gal was in tears!

I told her to look on the bright side, she gets a whole new stash, none of those "WHAT was I thinking?!" mistakes to hang over her head. Now she can buy all new stuff! She had just learned to knit socks on two circular needles at the last guild meeting and was so thrilled with the technique. She had gotten all the way to the gusset and was waiting to see me last night to get some help... We all just wanted to cry for her!

And we thought it was tough when we couldn't get into the forums, at least we have our knitting!

Count your blessings,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2002 :  8:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
That is really tough! You guys did a great thing helping her get her stash built back up. I believe knitters are special people! Barb

Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  09:44:41 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
I have to be honest and admit that I am an active pusher. Last night as I was knitting a mitered square, I forced my friend to watch, and she immediately became addicted. I'm so proud of her! If only we had had time to get her to the LYS before she had to sit in a car for eight hours today.

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2002 :  10:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I am just SPEECHLESS! We are the featured forum this week on Knitter's Review!! (Barb)

And judging by the response, I'd say YES, we need this!
Go to Top of Page

dancingleaffarm
New Pal

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  06:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit dancingleaffarm's Homepage Send dancingleaffarm a Private Message
I've only been knitting for 9 years but have knit about 200 items in that time. Yikes! My son said he's going to design a 'Knitter's Patch' like the one smokers use!

Go to Top of Page

chrisknits
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  07:22:33 AM  Show Profile Send chrisknits a Private Message
Oh I love this topic. Too funny. My story...
Hi I'm Chris. I came to my addiction late in life, my friend got me hooked when I was 39. I guess I was having a midlife crisis, looking for something to bring excitement to my life. Once I found knitting I never looked back. And I even proudly proclaimed to anyone who would listen, "I'm a Knitter!", they would just look at me with pity in their eyes. Don't they understand the high knitting gives you. OK, so it does leed to financial ruin, willing to spend your last dollar on an ounce here and there. Wondering whether to buy your kid's school books or get a fiber fix. Begging your family members for LYS gift certificates as Christmas presents. I can't believe I have sunk so low! But if loving yarn is wrong, I don't want to be right!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  08:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
No question - get the yarn - like the kids would even open the school books anyway?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

yarncollector
New Pal

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  08:13:59 AM  Show Profile Send yarncollector a Private Message
Hi, I'm Kathy and I'm a knittaholic...I've been knitting for 20 years and am currently pushing my addiction on 8 and 9 year-olds on school property. I have completion issues, and soon I may drive my husband out of the house because of lack of usuable storage space for my yarn... I know I shouldn't admit it, but I have taken to knitting at stop lights and tunnel traffic on my long commute into Boston. There I've said it... I can't help myself, it helps keep my blood pressure down!

Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Hi, I'm Lin and I am a knitter. I am also in hysterics over the quiz! ("Mom, what are you laughing so hard about?") I started out small, with crocheting, when I was 10. My mom and grandma pushed a lifelong fiber obsession on me - how could they?

OK, I don't know who I'm kidding about starting small. I had a closet full of yarn way before I learned to knit. Now the yarn is just more expensive!

And I will admit to having tried to addict the 11 year old down the street...and even my 2 yr old likes to sit in my lap and 'help' make stitches. Indoctrinating them at a young age, that's me!
Lin

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  08:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I hear you, Chris. and, yarncollector. I think driving into Boston would cause anyone to want to knit! Lin, don't feel bad, my 3 yr. old granddaughter saw me knitting the other day, and she wanted to "help," too! She saw a piece of scrap yarn and picked it up with a crochet hook and tried to "knit." It's OK, guys, we can help you! Barb

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?