Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 KNITTER'S ANONYMOUS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I agree! I know, let's teach the fun police how to knit! Barb

And CLARA, I'm so glad you "came out of the closet" and the rest of you too!!!! It's dark in there.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  12:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
See Clara's post for # and # 2.

#3. Gave ourselves completely to the control of that power, whoever or whatever it may be.

#4. Did a fearless and exhaustive survey of our stash, or stashes, as the case may be.

Go to Top of Page

nanknits
New Pal

47 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  1:04:10 PM  Show Profile Send nanknits a Private Message
Hi, my name is Nancy, and I'm a - ouch - knitter! I have been lurking and laughing too long! I knit to self-medicate - that's clear. I took up knitting, after over 30! years, when my job was in jeopardy. All that STABBING and THROWING felt so good. And now I can't stop. And I have a stash. And I can't pass the LYS without wanting to stop. And I buy new needles - addi turbo, of course, for any reason. Even if I already have that size!
The 12 steps must deal with WIP as well.

Nancy in Wis.
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  1:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
5. Admitted to God, ourselves and Knitter's Anonymous that we have many, many Works In Progress, hereafter referred to as WIP's.

6. Entirely willing to continuing shopping for and buying yarn, patterns, needles and other knitting supplies, regardless of how many WIP's we already have!
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  2:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I am not afraid to knit in public, I do so frequently! Tonight I will commit one of the most flagrent acts of knitting in public... I will knit while AT the Texas Ranger's baseball game! This is my husband's most secret fear... he will be sitting there, innocently watching the baseball game. He will look up, and there I will be, LARGER THAN LIFE KNITTING ON THE JUMBOTRON!!! I figure this is my best chance to corrupt as many as 45,000 folks at once. (Hey, it is Alex Rodriguez bobblehead night!) I am taking a knitting friend with me, together we will make a bold statement for knitting kind. (if she can get the three year old off her lap)

I am afraid however that they will not let me take my knitting needles into the game! I have knitted at that stadium every year since it opened, what ever will I do???! Perhaps I will just stage a knit-in infront of the stadium?! Are ya with me Lori??!

I will let you know if the fun police try to stop me... HA I am armed after all...

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  2:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
ON THE JUMBOTRON! OH MY! (I haven't the foggiest idea what that is[:D)]

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  2:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
WOW, that'd be absolutely priceless if you could get on the jumbotron while knitting. I'd pay a premium for that one!

(The jumbotron is the giant screen they have at stadiums, and it occasionally flashes to different parts of the crowd. I love it - people screaming and yelling, spilling beer on each other, and then... what ho, two women politely working on their stockinette stitch.)

Please please catch her on the jumbotron!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
My name is Jessica, and I am a KNITTER! (It feels good to admit it to someone.) I'm like KnitKitty - I can quit any time, I just don't want to. I need my stash. I need my WIPs. I can't face the day without them. Is that so wrong!?!?!??

I am sitting at my computer (AT WORK!) with tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard. You all are soooo incredibly funny! I really should be going home but it's been a hard day and I need my knitting fix before I can face the family.

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

n2rockwlls
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  3:36:35 PM  Show Profile Send n2rockwlls a Private Message
The Jumbo-Tron would be really cool.

The publicity might get more folks interested, then Clara would have to sell ad space here to pay someone to keep up with all the e-traffic...

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  3:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I am glad you are laughing not crying! I have been sitting here all afternoon typing for work, and in between messages, going back and forth from this forum to the "AA" websites to figure out what the original 12 steps are, so I can redo them!! If I wasn't out of black ink, I could print the originals, that would be a LOT easier. Don't let your knitting keep you away from your family too long! Barb

Go to Top of Page

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  5:09:12 PM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
(With apologies to the good folks at AA: Take the Knitter's Anonymous Quiz.)

1 - Have you ever decided to stop knitting for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?

2 - Do you wish people would mind their own business about your knitting-- stop telling you what to do?

3 - Have you ever switched from one kind of wool to another in the hope that this would keep you from knitting so much?

4 - Do you need to knit first thing in the morning, or to start your day? This is a pretty sure sign that you are not knitting "socially."

5 - Do you envy people who can knit without getting into trouble?

6 - Have you had medical problems connected with knitting during the past year?

7 - Has your knitting caused trouble at home? Do you hide your wool from your family?

8 - Do you ever try to get "extra" wool at a LYS because you do not get enough?

9 - Do you tell yourself you can stop knitting any time you want to, even though you keep knitting when you don't mean to?

10 - Have you missed days of work or school because of knitting?

11 - Do you have "blackouts," i.e. do you find woolly jumpers around the house that you donít remember knitting?

12 - Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not knit?

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Kim: Yes to all of your questions with the exception of 11--its hats and scarves, not jumpers, with me. If I told you the last time I knit a sweater I would be lying, its been that long. Keep up the great messages. You fit right in with us. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  6:07:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Well, I have to say yes to most of them!! I don't think I've been knitting heavily long enough to blackout. LOL I knit while I work if I can! Sometimes I am just watching my computer waiting for messages to type. Although, I could say, as homeschoolers, we have knitted "for" school, rather than instead of school. Everything can be educational. Guess I am lost cause. [:OO] Barb

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  05:13:27 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Oh my gosh, this is sooo funny!!!
I am laughing at how compulsive we can be but it's harmless, no one is getting hurt.

Just don't knit and drive. ALWAYS use a designated driver.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

n2rockwlls
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  08:41:45 AM  Show Profile Send n2rockwlls a Private Message
Is anyone out there a 'binge-knitter'?

I friend of mine said once " I'm not an alcoholic, I don't go to the meetings!" I can't say that about knitting... Going to the meetings is a way learn new things....

Here's my twist on it: "These are my knitting needles! There are many like them but these are mine.." (Parody of Full Metal Jacket)

Knit On !

Go to Top of Page

n2rockwlls
Gabber Extraordinaire

395 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  08:42:15 AM  Show Profile Send n2rockwlls a Private Message
Is anyone out there a 'binge-knitter'?

I friend of mine said once " I'm not an alcoholic, I don't go to the meetings!" I can't say that about knitting... Going to the meetings is a way learn new things....

Here's my twist on it: "These are my knitting needles! There are many like them but these are mine.." (Parody of Full Metal Jacket)

Knit On !

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  08:54:18 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Hmmmmmmmm.........is knitting while you are sleeping a blackout?

Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  09:31:40 AM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Hello, my name is Carol and I too am a compulsive KNITTER. I blame this on my mother; yes, I am an ACOK (Adult Child of Knitter). My mom taught me to knit as a child and always was crocheting or knitting something. Now the pattern of abuse has come back to haunt me. I cannot sit down for a moment without knitting. And yes, if we are going to see good friends, I do take my knitting with me (figuring they will understand.) I take public transportation or let others drive whenever possible so as to maximize time knitting. A new obsession with sock-knitting has come over me which is dangerous since I have three small children in the house and hardly enough time to indulge it (not to mention that there is no way to childproof knitting needles). In fact, my 5-month old daughter is transfixed by the sight of me knitting... will this endless cycle of knit, purl, knit, purl never end???? (hmm, come to think of it, why didn't I name her "Purl" instead???)
C

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Ok, I'm in hysterics! I wish I were as clever and witty as all of you are! I just went through the same envy recently at Greytalk where they did a parody of Frontier House called Frontier Couch that was an absolute riot. It even came to the attention of and elicited a response from Mark Glenn!! Speaking of greyhounds, I came here to get away from the dogs and to find some sanity, (we're dogsitting for someone who has an alcoholic boyfriend [I'm not joking here...it's true] that she's trying to move out of her house, so we have 5, count 'em FIVE greyhounds in our house right now) and what do I find....

Hi, I'm chris and I'm a KNITTER...I'm no QUITTER! Of the list of questions, I can only say no to 6 and 11 and a huge NO to 12. I, too, am a pusher, even going so far as to supply needles to some folks. My yarn addiction is not as bad as some I've read about (hey, I'm NOT rationalizing, it's true!). Mine all fits in a TuckerWare box...less than 4 cu ft!! As to WsIP...I only have one (believe that and I've got some swampland out here in the Sonoran Desert I'd like you to look at!).

Thanks for the laugh!! Y'all are terrific!

crhis (going stir crazy...where's my knitting, Cole!!??)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2002 :  11:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Speaking of parodies(sp?), I just thought of something that may have started me on the idea of parodies, and if any of you remember this, it will REALLY date us! When I was in 7th or 8th grade I wrote a parody of "Twas the Night Before Christmas," for a skit we did of Swabby and his friends on the Bozo the Clown show. I put in the names of all the characters in places where they fit in the poem and even made it rhyme. (Not something I would admit to too many people...) So, now I am rewriting the 12 steps....weird, 'cause my birth mother was an alcoholic....but all in fun! Barb P.S. I have decided to digress from the original 12 steps, 'cause I can't remember them when I switch back and forth between websites!! Instead I am going to "steal" ideas from other people's messages.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?