Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 KNITTER'S ANONYMOUS
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  8:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, my name is Barb and I am a knitter. I have been knitting fairly steadily since last fall. I am accumulating a good sized stash of yarn, have learned to knit socks, and how to do lace knitting.

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  06:23:02 AM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
Hi Barb,
Welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new here myself, but there is a lot of fun stuff to be found here.
I'm also kind of new to knitting myself, although I learned a long time ago, I've only just started doing it "properly," with patterns and such. Before I would only make things that could be knit straight up and down, and I would always have to get help binding off. Have recently made a couple of pairs of socks - they're a lot of fun to knit!

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  06:43:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
Everyone together HI BARB!

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  12:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, EVERYBODY! I am the same Barb who has been posting, just started this forum as kind of a joke after somebody said I should!

Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  1:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
Hi. I'm Marney and I am a knitaholic. I only started knitting a couple of months ago and now my apartment is full of WIPs. My landlord will start to complain soon. My friends all complain that I don't see them any more because I would rather knit them a sweater. Terms like "frogging" "slip" into all of my conversations.

But I hope the 12-steps will get me on the path of sanity.

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  2:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
We need someone witty to compose our own special 12 steps! I don't know very many knitters around here and all my friends look at me funny when I knit in public. I just ignore the looks!

Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  2:46:34 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
You know, when I knit in public the same thing happens. You would think I was engaging in some bizarre ritual.

I like to knit at my kids' baseball games and practices (hey, not every minute is worthy of Sports Illustrated) and I definitely look weird there. And I knit in the car as I wait for my kids to come out of school. I am getting quite a reputation, I fear. I would love to knit in a more social setting, but haven't found one yet.

Carin

Go to Top of Page

Pookie
Chatty Knitter

255 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  4:26:02 PM  Show Profile Send Pookie a Private Message
Instead of funny stares, I've recently been experiencing the opposite. I'm currently working on a pair of Fixation socks for my niece and sometimes I work on them during my lunch hour at work. What I've found is that it's turned into one of those "it takes a village to raise a child" or "woman bonding" things. People are forever asking me how the socks are going and one woman even brought in tiny silk roses to sew to the cuffs. And none of these people are knitters! They've just sort of taken on the socks as a communal project. Very fun! Very heartwarming!

Pookie (my childhood nickname if anyone is wondering...)

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  4:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Pookie, that is really sweet of that woman to bring the flowers to sew onto your socks. Actually I have had positive experiences, too. A man in our church, a former minister, and family man, kept watching my tiger socks as they grew, and asked how they were going when he didn't see them. I even gave him our webpage address so he could look at them there. When they look at me weird I just smile sweetly and keep on knitting! I can't stop knitting, after all! Barb

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  4:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Let's see, #1. Admit you are a knitter.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Hello, my name is Alissa and I am a KNITTER. I was bitten at the age of 4, played with it off and on knitting for my Barbie until teenage years struck. I am also a geek, so therefore my social life was less than stellar. I knitted non-stop through high school, taught several friends and hung out at knit shops whenever possible. As an adult I have given the bug to as many other innocent souls as are interested. I have been teaching knitting professionally for 15 years. Oh gads, not only am I an enabler, (hangs head) I am also pusher!!! I work in a yarn shop, I design and sell my own patterns and now, in combination with my geekdom, I have designed knitting software. If ere there was a lost soul, it is I.

unrepentently yours...

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  9:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
(Gasp) Hello, Alissa. Welcome to the group.

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  10:12:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
Hi. My name is Erica and I am a KNITTER! I have been knitting for 6 1/2 years. I started in college thinking it would be a fun way to save money but it slowly grew. I started out with basic Lamb's Pride (still one of my favorites) and that was a gateway into finer yarns. Now I HAVE to knit at least once during the day. I am knitting as I read the forums, I knit when I watch tv and at work, I think about knitting. I'm also a knitting teacher, introducing my students to my passion for knitting. I don't think they realize what they are getting themselves into - they think they will learn to knit to save money, little do they know that it's not as cheap as they think.

erica :)
(formerly e_looped, knitgrl is my license plate)
Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
http://erica-lee.org/crafts.html
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  12:02:02 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Wow, a knitter and a pusher....LOL

I can't admit it yet.........I need your help.......even though knitting is all that I do now....when I do anything that is....I can't believe that it has taken over who I really am.......I may be a knitter.....but I'm fighting it ............I am guilty of pushing it on occasion.........I am so ashamed.......Help me plese..........

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  04:08:42 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Me too! I'm a knitter and a pusher.I am a known pusher of young children.Oh my gosh I feel so much better for finally putting this in writing.Thank goodness my secret is still safe as I'm only talking to a machine.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  05:23:52 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Hello, my name is Rebecca, and I'm a KNITTER. My grandmother got me hooked at the age of 6 and my brain has been wired eversince childhood (sob). I like to touch soft, fuzzy yarn (heh, heh). I knit in the privacy of my home, I haven't gotten the courage to go public yet. My family understands my addiction and enable me by giving me pattern books for birthdays and Christmas.

I hope that there is no treatment available for this because I LIKE my habit! One day, I will come out of the closet, I just hate explaining and talking about my addiction to those who have never been hooked (hooked sounds so crochetish, you know?).

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  06:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
Rebecca-

So not only did your family corrupt you but have been in the closet for years. I think that makes you and your family knitophiles. I can't believe what this world is coming to!

I have a different problem; knitzophrenia. I jump from one WIP to another without warning to others. It is very disturbing to those around me.

I need help.

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  06:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I have pushed knitting, too, and on my own child! I jump from project to project, too! Isn't it fun?!? Barb

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  07:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Oh boy, I don't even know if I can muster up the courage to post anything here. For I... I head up one of the biggest online knitting cartels in North America.

Step 1: We admitted we were powerless over yarn and that our stashes had become unmanageable.

Step 2: Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity. I'm not quite sure what this power is, but I've narrowed it down to three choices:
- fur-bearing animals
- the owner of my local yarn shop
- KNITTER'S REVIEW

Aaaaaah! I feel better already.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher and yarn-pusher
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  09:34:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Well, that explains why I describe myself as a "friend of Clara's"!!!!

My name is Lissa and I'm an UNREPENTANT KNITTER!! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT THIS "ORGANIZATION" IS JUST A FRONT FOR THE FUN POLICE??? People who don't WANT you to derive bliss from fondling fiber, clicking cneedles and designing delectibles?

COME OUT OF YOUR FOG, KNITTERS!! BREAK AWAY FROM THIS EVIL INFLUENCE, WHOSE ONLY PURPOSE IS TO MAKE YOU ONE OF THEM - PLACID, PASSIONLESS, UNCREATIVE! BREATHE IN the exultation that only knitting can provide. It WON'T hurt you!! Don't listen to the naysayers! Enhance your perceptions, free your mind and see the world through the texture of ----- SEED STITCH!

Here, I'll even let you try a swatch for freeeeeee.... that's it....just one won't hurt you...

Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  09:59:26 AM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
Problem??? I don't have a problem!!! I can quit anytime I want to!
I just don't want to.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.