Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Knitting Retreat: Time for the Questionnaire!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  2:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi everybody!

If you've been following the "Knitting Vacations" discussion (at http://knittersreview.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1001), you'll know that several readers have been working on putting together a knitter's weekend retreat. Time for the good news.

The location has been narrowed down to Graves Mt. Lodge in Syria, Virginia. Their website is http://www.gravesmountain.com/lodging.htm.

BessH (author of the now-famous TKGA Certification Diaries!) has been there many times and has this to report:

First of all, it’s quite rustic but not at all primitive. It’s on a hillside that looks across a trout stream and up another hillside covered with apple trees.

Most of the rooms are in motel-like structures with fabulous views. Very clean, non-smoking rooms with paneled walls and most rooms have NO televisions. They usually have 2 double beds (or maybe queen, I forget, big enough for me anyway) so a family of 4 could cozy up and sleep in one room or 2 roommates or you pay a little more and can sleep single.

The hill is a good steep climb up and down to the dining room where you will eat more than you thought you possibly could. Each table seats 8 and they bring 8 platters of different dishes to every meal. And refills of those platters. So you will be glad for the climb and you will have to plan on at least one hike a day. IMHO they make the absolutely best applebutter you can buy.

There is no hotel lobby to speak of, but there's a big porch with lots of rocking chairs and grassy slopes to sit on. We can also rent meeting rooms for each day.

Weather in VA in September can be very hot, or pleasantly cool. I hesitate to talk about rain for fear of jinxing things, but really it doesn’t usually rain till after the equinox around the 21st. Weather in November is more uncertain. I have eaten Thanksgiving dinner on a porch wearing a strappy sundress and it has also been cool and rainy in November. Rain is the biggest threat to good weather in Nov. though. No really bad weather, certainly no snow. But hey we are knitters anyway so cool and rain just puts us in the mood.

The place books up very quickly. In order to continue with the planning of this project, we need some feedback from those people who'd seriously like to attend. (All people seeking humorous attendance speak to me in private. )

Please answer fill out the below questionnaire ASAP and email it back to retreat@knittersreview.com by May 13, 2002.

My preferred date would be:
- Friday Sept. 13-Sunday Sept. 15 2002
- Friday Nov. 8 – Sunday Nov. 10 2002

I would prefer:
- To pay one price for everything, including accommodations
- To pay a nominal event fee and rent my own room myself

I would prefer:
- To room by myself – and pay more
- To room with a person of my choice
- You select a roommate for me

I would prefer:
- To stay the whole time at the lodge
- To visit a nearby farm and yarn shop (Carodan Farm, under 1 hr. drive)

As I group activity I'm interested in: (pick 2)
- Visiting Carodan Farm
- Designing the perfect sweater to fit my body (learning about Elizabeth’s Seamless Circular Sweater, or EPS)
- Knitting a child’s hat for charity (I'll bring the yarn, but the pattern and inspiration will be supplied)
- Learning some fun new stitch patterns
- Learning to spin my own yarn
- Learning how to knit a sock
- Doing something non-knitting like yoga or stretching or a hike
- Doing Nothing at all except sitting, knitting, talking, and relaxing with others

Other__________________________

If you're interested in the retreat but neither date works for you, let us know and we'll make sure you're at the top of the list for any other events!

Thanks everybody,

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  2:43:47 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Clara,
I have sent my questionnaire in to you. September is nice, but I'm going sailing on the Chesapeake from the 10-12; and will probably be too tired to knit down at Graves.

So, I hope November is doable for most people because I would hate (really hate) to miss the retreat.

Thanks again,
Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  4:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
You can put me in whatever room you want, but I reserve final say on who Ken rooms with!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  06:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
Sounds really fun! I am one of those people who can't plan that far in advance. Blaming it on my DH whose work (Ob-gyn) never lets me know if he will be busy or not (need him to take care of my daughters if I am gone, or make alternate plans).
Would like to see the sock class to include more than how to knit socks. Don't see many classes (other than Nancy Bush workshops) for people who already know how to knit socks.
Maybe if those who can't plan ahead, like me, could still try to get a spot closer to the date, I would consider this.
Lisa in Oklahoma

Handknit Sock Designs
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4398 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  09:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
That's it, we're all heading to Rebecca's for a sailing retreat instead!

Lisa, depending on what comes of the survey, we may be able to have last-minute people join too. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  10:12:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
Being that money is a little tight right now, is there a ball park price range that we are looking at? I would love to go to a retreat but sadly, money is very much an object right now.

Go to Top of Page

cec
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  2:13:15 PM  Show Profile Send cec a Private Message
Sounds really great -- sure hope I can afford to come!!

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  4:09:26 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Clara,
I'll definitely take my knitting along, but it's a working trip. We are taking 5 students across the bay on a 34' sailboat to the Eastern Shore. The captain is another teacher who will be giving them charting, navigation, and historical instruction of the bay, I'm going along to do the biology and environmental science.

That doesn't sound very exciting, does it? I have to take 3 days off from classes and live on the boat and eat seafood. Well, I'll deal with it somehow.

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2309 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  4:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Sounds pretty rough, Rebecca! NOT! Can I come, too? I'll help you eat the seafood. Barb

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  8:31:41 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Clara: As I live in San Francisco which is not quite next door to where the knitting retreat will be and you know me as being rather, what shall I say, different--I must make a comment: I have been to Syria and Virginia but never have I been to Syria, Virginia! Now I have that out of my system. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  03:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
A lot depends on how many people can make it. It looks like the cost for 2 nights, with a roommate, will be $250 per person. Slightly higher for a single room and we will try to arrange something for folk who can only stay one night - or only come for the day.

so - get your questionaire in by Monday. We oil squeaky wheels.

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  1:01:15 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I think that's a reasonable price for a weekend retreat. I'm assuming that Graves includes the meals with lodging. How many people have made their intentions known?

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  12:20:39 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Bess,

I've got this problem with my wheel chair............

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  04:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Fran, There is a room w/bath in one of the cottages that is wheelchair accessable but the place is in the mountains and you would need someone who would drive you to the dining room building. I hope you had a chance to check out the web site. I'm pretty sure it is in the "Old Farm House"

Go to Top of Page

MS Elli
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  04:27:11 AM  Show Profile Send MS Elli a Private Message
November driving from Michigan can be cHancy... September looks good
Let me know mor about costs.

Retreats without too much structure are fun...put me down as Not Serious

Go to Top of Page

lorirae
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  07:05:47 AM  Show Profile Send lorirae a Private Message
Count me in - September would be better for me than November. I'm open to just about anything. I've been knitting for decades, but never an ESP project although am currently contemplating one. I love socks, but have only used one very simplistic pattern and depend upon color for interest. I am fascinated by those who spin, but truly don't have the physical room to add that to my repetoire and suspect I'm not the only one with that limitation. Sitting and knitting and talking sounds like a great weekend to me, but I would probably attend every class available. This would be my first retreat and doubt I could leave any stone unturned.
Lori

Go to Top of Page

Anne C
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  07:43:38 AM  Show Profile Send Anne C a Private Message
I'd love to go but money this year is really, really tight. September would be the best as November in the Midwest is Deer Hunting season. I could not commit to going this early. I would have to wait and see how the summer plays out. However, the retreat sounds absolutely fantastic!

Anne

Hostess to almost 400 free sock patterns on the web and author of "My Sock Book"
http://www.homestead.com/knittingfun
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  09:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Fran, I promise you that even if we have to CARRY you to the dining room, you'll get there!

Go to Top of Page

MissPooh
Angel

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  09:50:05 AM  Show Profile Send MissPooh a Private Message
Count me in. Either date is fine. I'll have to bring DH for wildflower spotting - he could lead a slow nature hike if anyone is interested. He likes to head down to Syria for the day to hike every once in a while. I'd be happy just knitting and getting to know everyone. On the other hand, I'm always up for a class. Eating good food is always attractive. Bess, you are an angel for getting this organized.
Go to Top of Page

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  5:26:09 PM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message
This sounds like great fun!! I have replied to your questionnaire. I like the idea of a wild flower hike too!

Can't wait to found out the results!
Lauren

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2002 :  5:31:18 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
I don't know for sure right now if I can make it or not, but I'd sure love to! I would also bring DH, and he can take care of himself while I knit, and get to know some of my fellow Knit Reviewers face to face.

It sounds like alot of fun and very relaxing too. I'll let you know by the time you need all your "ducks in a row", Clara. Thanks for getting this together. (Bess, too).

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.