Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Just Getting Started - Beginning to Spin
 Worsted for socks?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpscheer@earthlink.net

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  3:10:07 PM  Show Profile Send cpscheer@earthlink.net a Private Message
Hi all,
I bought some Falkland Island top (I haven't a clue what a Falkland Island sheep looks or feels like) to try my hand at spinning. I'm knitting socks at the moment and thought that a worsted spun top would work well because it would be smoother and more durable. I was pretty happy with the results, not too much different in diameter (especially if I take my glasses off), although I have a lot to learn about plying! I set the twist and then tried knitting a sample on #2 needles. Even though the sample looks pretty even, the feel is pretty rough. I don't think I'd be able to wear socks made from it; too hard. Sooooooo
(being pretty lazy and not wanting to try carders if I can help it) would a different top (like Merino) be better or do you think that any top I spin worsted be too rough? Also, I know there's a way to spin top woolen but don't know if that only works with top from short fibered sheep. The fibers of my Falkland Island are pretty long. Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance for your wisdom,
Chery

k2togyo
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  6:13:20 PM  Show Profile Send k2togyo a Private Message
You can spin top woolen by using a technique called "spinning from the fold" -- here's a good description... http://www.graftonfibers.com/fold.htm. This method works well for either long or short fibers.

Merino would indeed be softer, but it won't wear as well as other wools. Most commercial sock yarns are usually 80% wool / 20% polyester (or some other hard-wearing synthetic fiber).

Nancy A
Go to Top of Page

k2togyo
Warming Up

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  6:14:01 PM  Show Profile Send k2togyo a Private Message
Make that http://www.graftonfibers.com/fold.htm -- the . messed up the link

Nancy A
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  06:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I have spun Falklands for socks, mixed with a little mohair for strength, and found it very nice. I always spin worsted for socks, as the tighter spin seems to wear better. Maybe the spun and plied yarn is a little big for #2 needles? Did you try knitting on #3's as well?

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

talmithe
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  10:22:18 AM  Show Profile Send talmithe a Private Message
I blended Falkland top with Blue-faced Leister and got a great sock yarn. I like socks in singles better than plied because they seem softer to me. I tried sock yarn in Merino, but being a new spinner Merino is really hard to get an even yarn. So I blended the Merino with the Blue-faced as well and that turned out nice. For heels I've been making special heel blend by adding some mohair to whatever I'm using for the sock. The blue-faced Leister also added softness to some coarse-but-pretty poly-pay, but is almost too soft by itself...

My friend, an expert sock maker, always uses 3 or larger for worsted weight socks. I've been using 3s for singles.

My problem has been tring to get a smaller sock yarn that I could knit on 0s, but when spinning that fine I still get just a few nasty thread-like places, and for socks that just doesn't cut it. Sigh. Oh well, practice I guess!

Talmithe
Go to Top of Page

cpscheer@earthlink.net

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  5:32:21 PM  Show Profile Send cpscheer@earthlink.net a Private Message
It's a good idea to try number 3's; my favorite size are 1's because they turn out better looking for my knitting style. I tried to spin woolen using my top last night. It was not a pretty sight, but I'll keep plugging along. Does anyone know if you get a "true" woolen by spinning from the fold? It seemed last night that it kept reverting to worsted. My question to Talmithe is are you spinning worsted and to Sheila is are you plying your yarn or using singles? I'm not sure why I decided to ply the yarn (probably because I overspin and figured plying would compensate)Thanks, also, for the tip on merino. I'm having enough trouble just spinning (though I love it) and I don't need challenging wool yet!
Take care, everyone.
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  1:40:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I ply my singles, as I like the way that plied up yarn looks for socks. Generally I am spinning something that plied up is slightly less than fingering weight, when spinning for socks, and I use 0's or 1's, but I always spin worsted. The one time I spun woolen in sock-weight, it really fuzzed up when washed a couple of times. Worsted is tighter and smoother, so it doesn't fuzz as much.

Shelia
Go to Top of Page

talmithe
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  2:25:00 PM  Show Profile Send talmithe a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpscheer@earthlink.net

It's a good idea to try number 3's; my favorite size are 1's because they turn out better looking for my knitting style. I tried to spin woolen using my top last night. It was not a pretty sight, but I'll keep plugging along. Does anyone know if you get a "true" woolen by spinning from the fold? It seemed last night that it kept reverting to worsted. My question to Talmithe is are you spinning worsted and to Sheila is are you plying your yarn or using singles? I'm not sure why I decided to ply the yarn (probably because I overspin and figured plying would compensate)Thanks, also, for the tip on merino. I'm having enough trouble just spinning (though I love it) and I don't need challenging wool yet!
Take care, everyone.
Cheryl

I've been trying different weights and wools, worsted or slightly smaller has worked well on threes, but my fingering yarns, with one exception, have been too uneven for sucessful socks. My last attempt with a really nicely carded fluffy wool came out more uniform so socks wouldn't have nasty thin places, but the wool was Icelandic and the skein is a little too coarse for comfy socks -- dang it!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe