Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Where is the weirdest place that you knit?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

gonzs
Chatty Knitter

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  8:11:22 PM  Show Profile Send gonzs a Private Message
I knit in the carwash today. What a great use of a few idle moments! And I knit a few rows on the socks I'm doing while at the drive-up at the bank, waiting for my receipt to be sent back to me. You all have made me such an efficient knitter! Since I'm taking care of my elderly mom while at the same time checking out assistive living places for her, I am grabbing every possible moment to keep projects going!

Sue, from upstate NY
Go to Top of Page

ChristinaP
Permanent Resident

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  8:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChristinaP's Homepage Send ChristinaP a Private Message
I knitted on a U.S. Navy warship. In the wardroom and my stateroom on a destroyer
I think I've written about that before. One of the higher-ups came in and saw me and said Gunno! (I was the gunnery officer) WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? "knitting, sir" BUT THIS IS A WARSHIP, YOU CAN'T KNIT ON A WARSHIP "why not? it's a sweater for my fiance" BUT, BUT, YOU'RE THE GUNNERY OFFICER FOR HEAVENSAKE AND THIS IS A WARSHIP

Well, you get the point

In Maryland
Blog: http://christinasknitting.blogspot.com
Pictures: http://photos.yahoo.com/cpikas
Go to Top of Page

megknits
Sustaining Member

USA
729 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  8:45:59 PM  Show Profile Send megknits a Private Message
We had a two hour power failure last month, and I discovered that I could knit in the dark. It was straight stockingette stitch, so I could do it by feel, and it actually came out o.k.

Otherwise, I keep a sock project in my car just for those odd waiting moments, like getting the oil changed or waiting in the dentist's office. I have one sock knitted entirely during kids soccer games.

Meg
Go to Top of Page

M. Shawn
Chatty Knitter

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  9:17:33 PM  Show Profile Send M. Shawn a Private Message
I'm afraid that I haven't knit anywhere particularly outrageous: at seminars, during intermissions at the theatre, on public transportation, at the movies, in the car, in waiting rooms, on airplanes, in restaurants before my food arrives. I take my knitting with me everywhere. Whatever project I'm working on gets dragged all over town with me. If I have a few minutes I get it out and get in a few stitches. I've got quite a few friends who knit and whenever we're together we're very comfortable knitting with one another in social settings. One of the most decadent knitting experiences that I had was when I spread a blanket on the grass under a tree in my yard, put some pillows out for comfort and knitted while my husband weeded the flower beds.

M. Shawn
Go to Top of Page

purewoolpower@yahoo.ca
Sustaining Member

31 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  10:05:44 PM  Show Profile Send purewoolpower@yahoo.ca a Private Message
ACC is Air Canada Centre, home of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Blackberry is a digital device, like a tiny laptop used for email.

MOnika

quote:
Originally posted by Smock7

Okay, I must really be out of the loop because now I have to ask some questions! What is the ACC? What does it mean to be pushing buttons on a Blackberry?

Vanessa in Oklahoma

"Children learn by watching & mimicking your actions, not by listening to your 'words of widom'."

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  06:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
This is a fun topic!
The only place that I knit that wasn't mentioned (I think) is in the pool.I don't do this as much now,but when my daughters were younger,I found (sock)knitting to be a great way to keep an eye on them and myself entertained at the same time.When I read,my eyes were not on them as they could be with non-complicated knitting.
Lisa

Designs for hand knit socks...
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Knitting photos...
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  06:10:54 AM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i knit at work. i'm a telephone sales rep, inbound, thankfully, and i knit during calls. there are several instances during an order where i just talk, and not use the keyboard, and i will stick in a few stitches here and there. i get to knit all day long, unless they make me go do mail order entry (ugh!) i've knitted in the tub, my SO asked me to knit in bed, so he could still cuddle, lol, when i couldn't sleep. i've knit an aran sweater for my daughter's 16th birthday in the movies (had to hide it, lol) i had the pattern memorized, lol. we're not allowed to knit or crochet in court, no "sticks" allowed by the deputy, sigh. i used to knit on airplanes, until 9/11, does any one know if they've lightened up on that? i've knit in the car at long stop lights, i don't ride much cuz i get carsick. umm, i knit in the bookstore, at the museum, waiting in line at parent teacher conferences, and even shopping at christmas time, if i can get someone else to push the cart. i made a pair of mittens at walmart while shopping, lol. are any of those unusual enough? lol!
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  06:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I knit in church the other day! LOL Actually I was sitting alone in the garden chapel while I was waiting for my son. I knit there quietly for about an hour and a half until he was finished with his project. Because there was no service going on at this time I can hardly consider this scandalous. Other than that I knit where ever my car takes me. I knit in school (PTA) related meetings all the time. I can't tell if anyone is offended or not so...I just keep knitting away.

I made a long skinny scarf for my niece for Christmas and I wrote her a letter to go with it that told her all the places around town that her scarf kept me company.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Ruthie

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  06:38:39 AM  Show Profile Send Ruthie a Private Message
Minnie, you may be happy to know that you are allowed to take needles on airplanes now, as long as they are plastic or wooden. I've done it several times since 9/11.
Ruthie
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I dont have anywhere that is particularly odd, but I did get the most weird looks when I brought my knitting on an employee retreat. They were doing some group activity and I tried to sit on the edges most of the time. It makes more sense when you realize they were playin Whirlyball - which is sort of like playing lacrosse in bumper cars.

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

knittykat
Seriously Hooked

USA
710 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  08:43:21 AM  Show Profile Send knittykat a Private Message
Okay, yesterday I was on the way home and got stuck by a train. It was a big old freighter so I figured I had a couple rows worth of time. I happened to have my knitting in my tote bag and so I pulled it out and started working. I got the strangest looks from people! I told my husband about it and he laughed so hard. I said it's not weird at all--I was making good use of time and it was the same as placing a cell phone call or something!

I knit when I have friends over and I take my knitting along any time I'm going to be sitting for a while, like when I go to friends' houses. When I'm with people I don't know well, it bothers me to get looks like "You're not paying attention!" when I very clearly am. It's always people who don't knit because they figure anything that would be hard for them must be hard for me and therefore I'm not listening. I can actually listen BETTER when I have my knitting in hand because I'm not fidgeting. If I'm not doing anything with my hands I'll be staring off into space or daydreaming. If I'm knitting I can focus!

I'm a huge multitasker--I knit a scarf for my niece while at her gymnastics meet. She was so happy when I presented it to her on Christmas! Of course, one time I was knitting mittens and talking to a friend, watching the meet, and talking to the other people around me, and I ended up with two right hand mittens in different sizes!!!

I'm so happy I have knitting friends and a knitting group to go to. If you have a cable needle in hand, they wait to ask you a question, and then you'll just chatter away with these lovely little lulls in conversation while people turn, count, check pattern, etc.

Guess I've had too much coffee this morning--I'm all babbly!

Kat in Illinois
Go to Top of Page

kimkrafty
Permanent Resident

USA
2145 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  08:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit kimkrafty's Homepage Send kimkrafty a Private Message
I'm still pretty new to knitting, so I've had less opportunities to knit in odd places.
I will knit just about anywhere that I would feel comfortable reading. I don't think I've knit anywhere really unusual. I do knit in dr's offices and while visiting at my parent's or my mother-in-laws. I've got to be more adventurous!

Kimberly, kniting in VA
WIP: 3 FO: 0
Finished Patchworks Squares: 7
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1916 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
I knit everywhere I can. At work-during lunch, on trains planes and automobiles, at home and with friends. Unusual places? well I was working on a bag that was self contained (knit a circle and stockenette up the sides. The ball of yarn went inside the bag and I walked to and from work with it. Since I've read a book while walking I didn't see much difference (but I did get strange looks)

The most important thing I have learned while knitting in public? that sometimes the world is made of 2 kinds of people: the type who think its grand that you knit (and either comment to you on it, smile to you or themselves, or if they are your company continue talking to you as if it doesn't matter- cos it doesn't) and the people who find it rude and/or terribly non-economical. (the man on the bus who thinks that knitting socks is a waste of time, or someone I know who thinks that when I am knitting I am not listening to her.. we talked about it and truly the problem is not that I am not listening.. she just cannot concentrate on talking because she is easily distracted) I have found it hard to be with the 2nd type of people lately. Perhaps I am getting crazy in my old age, but life is too short not to do something I want to do when I have the time to do it. The man on the train who felt that the knitting was driving him crazy is better suited sitting somewhere else. Both of you are happier that way.

My mother made me a homosexual. And if you give her some yarn, she'll make you one too. ~quentin crisp

http://www.livejournal.com/users/purlewe/
Go to Top of Page

GreysMom
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  09:12:50 AM  Show Profile Send GreysMom a Private Message
Hey Melissa! I've knit at the mechanic's too! I got dropped off early to pick up my car and since I figured it would be an hour at least, I brought my sock knitting. The owner of the shop was making calls at his desk just across from where I was sitting. When he saw what I was doing, he hung up the phone and came over. He told me that he wasn't sure exactly what it was, but seeing me knit was very comforting to him. I'm figuring he must have had a family member who knit when he was very young, and just doesn't remember it. But he asked me, jokingly, if I would come in every afternoon and knit because it made him feel so good to see it!

That was pretty cool.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2655 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I knit during club meetings and at town hearings and the like - once we waited 1 1/2 to testify, standing in a hallway at City Hall (no chairs) while the Historic Commission heard another case. I plopped down on the floor and worked on my sock while the rest of the group got themselves more and more worked up about the issue. By the time we went in front of the board they were completely het up (as my grandmother would say) but I was calm and focused thanks to the knitting.

I walk to work (no knitting) and never knit in the car because it would make me queasy (like reading does) I have knit in trains and planes. The first sweater I ever made was knit almost completely in hospital waiting rooms when my mom had open heart surgery.

I suppose the most exotic place I ever knit was last summer in Alaska, while behind the wheel of a Ford Explorer somewhere on the north slope of the Alaska Range. We were driving back to Anchorage from Fairbanks along the Richardson Highway (the old road, hardly any traffic.) Big sections of the road were under construction with only one lane open, and we would sit waiting for the follow car to come and lead us through. We had good luck with the timing until we reached a particularly desolate stretch of road. I was driving (so my non-Alaskan husband could enjoy the scenery without running us off into a ditch) and we pulled up to the flagger with no other cars in sight. She stopped us and said "it will be a while" because the lead car had just left on the five mile journey to the other end of the construction. It was pouring buckets of rain (I do not envy this woman her job!) and after offering her some of our snacks, we rolled the window back up and I pulled out my knitting. I knit for about 15 minutes as my husband became more and more squirelly. He finally said "teach me! I can't stand having nothing to do!" I pulled out some extra needles and tried to get him started. He was on the verge of getting it when the lead car final appeared. We must have been sitting there for at least an hour.

Luann (who ordinarily wouldn't be caught dead behind the wheel of a Ford Explorer, but when you are renting a vehicle in Alaska and you need something big enough to hold a tandem bicycle, you have limited options...)

Knit and let knit!
Go to Top of Page

Kelley
New Pal

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile Send Kelley a Private Message
Perfect timing for this topic. Last year I attended an alumni meeting with my husband. I didn't take any knitting because I thought it would be awkward to knit in that setting. Well, after dinner, there was a speaker. Even though he was very interesting, he spoke for an hour and a half and I was going crazy!! My hands were literally twitching! That is when I decided I am too old to worry about people's opinions!! I now tote my knitting around with me everywhere!!

Tonight we are going to that meeting again! I'm sure the speaker will be equally interesting but I have two balls of cotton chenille yarn to work on my washcloth Christmas presents!! I'm looking forward to praticing my knitting backwards technique I just learned.

After my decision last year I felt a bit self conscious the first time I pulled knitting out after dinner at people's homes, at basketball games, concerts, car mechanic waiting rooms, etc. But, I have never had a bad experience. I do try to keep the projects simple in terms of the technique and the size. I think it would bother people if I were twisting a nearly finished sweater around in my lap. I am also always on the lookout for bags that will hold my planner, daily necessities and a bit of knitting. No point in buying a bag that can't hold knitting! :)

Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  11:11:36 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
When I knit in bed, I find circulars to be safer than straights--I am less likely to poke my partner!
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  11:19:03 AM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
Elizabeth, I thought the bed was THE place to do that LOL

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
Wow, my DH always teases me about be obsessed with knitting, but I am nowhere near some of you ! You have given me all sorts of ideas of where else to knit.

One place I did not mention was my Civil War reenacting. I do a civilian interpretation, and many of the women knit for the soldiers. I actually spend the entire weekend sitting around knitting (with, of course, period-correct needles and a natural fiber yarn) - away from home, work, hassles, problems - my idea of a perfect vacation (except that I have to wear a corset through it all).

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I'm a little weird, because I only like knitting at home. I'd have bus time and lunch time, and even down time at work, but I don't want to. However, I do HAVE to knit every day, so when I travel I take something with me. So, the most unusual place is actually the Cancun airport.

The other Fran in Kansas City
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.