Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Who is your fav knitting author?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  4:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do. When I was browsing in a used book store today, I looked at the craft section. There were a couple of older knitting books by authors that I don't know, Barbara Abbey being one of these.
As a beginner, there are authors that I know - Elizabeth Zimmerman, Debbie Bliss, Barbara Walker, Melanie Falick,etc. However I know there are folks out there that I need to know!
Who would you recommend to us novices? Who's the treasure? What books are good additions - editions to our libraries?

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  04:10:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I really like Maggie Righetti - esp. her book Sweater Design in Plain English. She has a very friendly chatty style of writing that I enjoy. She also has some viewpoints and knowledge that are unique, much like EZ.

I love all the history Alice Starmore puts in her books - check out her Aran Knitting and Fair Isle books. I have been longing to see her books In the Hebrides and Pacific Coast Highway. Both are long out of print, may only have patterns in them (I don't care) and can't be found via interlibrary loan - part of my technique for deciding which books to buy for me, and which to buy for the library.

the Art of Fair Isle Knitting by Ann Feitelson is another good one with a great section on color. may be easier to find, too, than the AS book.

If you have $250 - $500 to put into one book (good grief!) you can buy, on the used market, June Hiatt's Principles of Knitting - which I absolutely lust for but I would not spend $200 on any book (I say now, who nows what I might do in a moment of weakness) rumor is she is working on a revision but there is no hint of a publication date for it. borrow it from your library on Inter-library loan because it is one fantastic knitterly read.

Lise Kolstad & Tone Takle have written 3 books. Small Sweaters is the only one still in print and More Sweaters is still available at SchoolHouse Press but once it's gone it's (sob) out of print and gone for good. It's availabe on the used book market still though. A great inspiration book with also clever techniques. (see my review on it in the book forum)

Kids Knitting -- but you already know Melanie Falick

("Hey, this is fun - my dream knitting library" she murmurs.)

All the Barbara Walker stitch books - there are 4. If I could only have one I'd buy #3 because it is charted. #4 is also, but there are more stitches in #3. #4 has a wonderful section on shaping though and there's some gorgeous stitch patterns in books 1 and 2 so you better own them all.

Nicky Epstein's knitted embelishments - cool on its own, wonderful as a source of inspiration.

I think any of the Kafe Fassett books for inspiration even if you'd never knit one of his garments. In fact, I prefer his "inspiration" book (can't remember the title) ohh yes, It's called Glorious Color for Needlepoint and Knitting, that one is my fav, though, he does have some great knitting patterns. complicated in the extreme but what the heck, a girl can dream.

I loved laura Bryant, barry klein's book Knitting with Novelty yarns and i believe it is still on sale at Patternworks - but it has some great text about just what yarn is and what a novelty yarn is - also good patterns = even wonderful patterns, but it is the stuff in the front i really enjoyed.

TapDancing Lizard but not the other one because the charts are so pale you'd get a headache trying to read them.

Any of the ethnic knitting books are worth a read and usually have enough pattern designing in them to inspire you for a long time. I'm thinking of
Ethnic Socks & Stockings : A Compendium of Eastern Design and Technique by Priscilla A. Gilbson-Roberts
Mostly Mittens : Traditional Knitting Patterns from Russia's Komi People by Charlene Schurch
Simply Socks : 45 Traditional Turkish Patterns to Knit by Anna Zilboorg
Elizabeth Upitis' book too

These are authors to look for. Their works are mostly still in print but you can find them in used book stores too. I didn't mean for this to go on so long and i'm not really finished with my dream list. But it is fun to look and dream and imagine. I have looked at many many knitting books. What I want to own, though, are books that make my mind expand - think new thoughts, dream ideas up myself I like patterns, and very creative ones can inspire my own creativity, but I only buy books that trigger my brain and make my heart beat faster. or rather, I only keep books I buy that do that.

And speaking of sparking my thoughts - thanks Marfa, for a great question.

good knitting to you

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Dear Marfa,

Great topic! The books I'd recommend for beginners would be different than the ones I'd recommend for experienced knitters. I'd start with the Knitting Workshop by Elizabeth Zimmerman (with the videos, if you could swing it), because she just gives you so much confidence in what you can do and makes you "grow" as a knitter.

A small investment of money for alot of wonderful, easy to understand information, would be All New Teach Yourself to Knit booklet by Evie Rosen. This only costs around $7.00 or $8.00 and it's packed with all of the knowledge you'll need as a great foundation, plus it has several patterns at the end, which are neat.

I like Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. She tells you everything from the basics on through yarn content, gauge considerations, knitting straight versus circular, etc. and has a very chatty, direct way of coming right to the point.

These would be the first 3 I'd recommend to a beginner, and after one has a good foundation, there are soooooo many wonderful knitting books out there. I have trouble not succuming to the temptation to add one to my collection much more often than I should.

Warmest Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  3:05:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Bess & Patience, wow, you have exceeded my best dreams for suggestions!
For any of you other fellow knitters, please feel free to include other knitting authors you like. I'm a BIG book fan & since I don't have lots of extra $ to spend on books, the $ I do have needs to be spent wisely. Please - offer your thoughts!

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Once you get your knitting feet under you and feel you might be up to adjusting a pattern or two... tweaking things a bit or trying your hand a creating something new I would HIGHLY recommend the Barbara Walker stitch books. There are 4 volumes. I always head there first when I need some inspiration. It is absolutely awe inspiring to see how unlimited the possibilities are with just knit and purl!!!

I would put these as a must have for any serious knitting library.

Great topic!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

JoyLinn383
Sustaining Member

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile Send JoyLinn383 a Private Message
I have learned so much since begining to knit in September and these 2 books have really helped. My treasured books are Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English and a little spiral bound book from Interweave Knits called the Knitter's Companion (I don't leave home without it ). They have really been helpful when I couldn't get to my LYS or late at night.
I have a copy of Meg Swansen's A Gathering of Lace, but that is just to look at and dream that I can be good enough someday .

Joy Linn
'A Joyful Heart is Like Good Medicine'
Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2002 :  10:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

my favorite author, even though I only have one of her books, would be Deborah Newton. I have her book "Designing Knitwear" and there's hardly a project where I don't refer back to her book. I also like Starmore's Fair Isle Knitting because of the charts she provides and I enjoy reading about the historical background.

Happy Knitting,
Knitter2568
knitter@newsguy.com
http://www.geocities.com/knitter2568
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

Knitnluv
New Pal

11 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  04:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knitnluv's Homepage Send Knitnluv a Private Message
My first thought was that ANYTHING in print re: knitting is just fine w/ me, but as I thought about this, I realized that there are favs. The knitting book that changed my attitude about knitting forever is EZ's Knitting W/out Tears. I really began to understand the theory of knitting. I have all four of her books. I may not make the garments but the techniques are superb. I knit a lot of socks for gifts and, although I have a basic sock pattern memorized, I use Nancy Bush's sock book (can't remember exact name) for variations. Our local used book store often has old knitting books at pretty good prices. It is fun to read them and see how knitting has changed over the years. I, too, love Alice Starmore. Knitting in America is a great book. I am trying to rememeber if I have ever thrown out or given away a knitting book. don't think so!

Go to Top of Page

asuksi
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  05:37:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit asuksi's Homepage Send asuksi a Private Message
Well, I love knitting socks, and my sock-knitting queen is Nancy Bush. ALL of her books are beautiful, full of history, immaculate instructions, various techniques, and any project of hers I've ever tried has turned out beautifully.

But yes, give me also Alice Starmore, Barbara Walker, and Hazel Carter.

Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  06:46:56 AM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
Having just jumped into knitting last month, I have not had time to read many books yet. However, I have spend many hours reading and learning from YOU - all you here at KR are my favorites. thanks

Go to Top of Page

Alison
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile Send Alison a Private Message
I had to agree with all the above suggestions. Of course, it's just a rumor until it actually happens, but someone posted a customer review at amazon.com saying that June Hiatt's Principles of Knitting will be republished in the next year or two. Also, keep checking sale tables at book stores and websites. I once found stacks of Knitting in America at Borders for 4.95/copy and picked up 4 for whoever might be interested in my knitting group. I also like www.hamiltonbooks.com. Use "knit" as a search criterion. Once a book comes down close $5, you're getting a lot of patterns for close to the price of a single pattern.

For an introduction to the American knitting community in broad, inspirational brushstrokes, I really like Knitting in America and Handpaint Country.

Go to Top of Page

chrisknits
New Pal

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  08:24:54 AM  Show Profile Send chrisknits a Private Message
I love Kristin Nicholas and Debbie Bliss for books. For patterns only I like most anything from Jackie at HeartStrings!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

ruprightpam
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2002 :  4:26:21 PM  Show Profile Send ruprightpam a Private Message
I LOVE Debbie Bliss' books. Her new yarn line is also wonderful. Her "How to Knit" book from a few years ago (not her newer how-to book) is a great reference - really good diagrams and illustrations of techniques. I agree with everyone else's selections too. I recently read EZ's Knittin Around for the first time and loved it, at least as much for the autobiographical aspect as for the knitting! I'm a book junkie and have lots I'll never actually knit from! When I was pregnant with my first child I had insomnia at the end and would sit up all night with stacks of knitting books, reading and marking potential sweaters to make. Magazines are also good - Vogue Knitting usually has a few good patterns, interesting blurbs on new books and products and a couple technique articles, including one by Meg Swansen. Good luck and happy knitting!

Pamela GH Rupright
Go to Top of Page

sallybenedict@ivillage.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  4:28:51 PM  Show Profile Send sallybenedict@ivillage.com a Private Message
I have been knitting for 30+ years--and read a lot of knitting books--In the past 2 years I discovered Elizabeth Zinmmerman's Knitting Without Tears--I would highly recommend this book to beginners and any one who would rather knit than sew pieces of knitting together. After finishing the above book--get try to get your hands on any of her other books and a new world of knitting will open up for you. Then get Barbara Walker's stitch dictionaries and Knitting From the Top Down--another great book on one piece knitting and designing your own....best of luck Sally
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  1:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Great suggestions from everyone! I have already started scouting through the Schoolhouse Press site & their catalogue plus Powells of course.
Sally, welcome to the Forum. Your first post was to this ? & I'm honored! Knitting from the Top Down sounds as though it's a book for many of us. Do you recall the author's name? You mentioned Barbara Walker & her stitch books just before so I was unsure if she wrote KFTTD too. Hope you enjoy the Forum as much as I have. There are fabulous people to meet here!

Go to Top of Page

MarionB
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  10:09:18 PM  Show Profile Send MarionB a Private Message
3rd time's a charm? Sure wish I knew what key I'm hitting that clicks me off.

Oh well, I've been knitting for 56 years and I enjoy so many knitters and their books, but if I have to pare down in my old age, I'll keep the EZ books and the Mary (uhhh, guess I'm in old age because I can't remember her last name) books.

I'm not in our house where these treasures lie at the moment, otherwise I'd pluck them off the shelf and get her name--I'm embarrassed I can't think of it at the moment.

I'll just sit here a minute and maybe it'll come. Aha! I think it's Mary Thomas. Check her out. She wrote these books a long time ago and without modern gizmo's to make her job easy. I'm so grateful for her, too. OK? Done.
Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  1:26:16 PM  Show Profile Send Pen a Private Message
Hi...I have bee knitting or about 1 year and I love it.
I have 2 of Debbie Bliss books but have not made anything from them yet..I was wondering if you had and how the sizes run?? If my Grandaughter wears a size 8 .. Would I still do an 8 in Debies paterns??? The look nice and rooy but are they too big???
Penny

quote:

I LOVE Debbie Bliss' books. Her new yarn line is also wonderful. Her "How to Knit" book from a few years ago (not her newer how-to book) is a great reference - really good diagrams and illustrations of techniques. I agree with everyone else's selections too. I recently read EZ's Knittin Around for the first time and loved it, at least as much for the autobiographical aspect as for the knitting! I'm a book junkie and have lots I'll never actually knit from! When I was pregnant with my first child I had insomnia at the end and would sit up all night with stacks of knitting books, reading and marking potential sweaters to make. Magazines are also good - Vogue Knitting usually has a few good patterns, interesting blurbs on new books and products and a couple technique articles, including one by Meg Swansen. Good luck and happy knitting!

Pamela GH Rupright

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  2:42:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Pamela, before you knit for kids (or actually, anyone), measure a garment that either fits them well or (for kids) is a little roomy. Then, go by the finished measurements in the patterns and ignore the size designations - they can vary widely from pattern to pattern. My roommate learned this the hard way: knitted a jacket in size Large ("But all my clothes are Larges!"), and ended up with a 52" wide sweater (she only needed 44,) the "medium" size in that particular pattern.

Go to Top of Page

LoriAnn
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2002 :  5:25:00 PM  Show Profile Send LoriAnn a Private Message
Thanks for all the names and titles. Mother's Day is coming up and I needed to be able to drop hints. It is often said on this forum, but it is true; Y'all are the best, friendliest, most helpful group of people.

Working on earning my first star,

Lori
Go to Top of Page

emanonx
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  8:00:39 PM  Show Profile Send emanonx a Private Message
My fave knitting books so far:

Debbie Bliss: Knitting Workshop - the photographs are inspiring, the patterns are great to build skills using and it's just nice to read and hold.

Knitting For Dumbies (LOL, I'm a dumbie and can't spell!) - Although not inspiring and no photographs really, it's a good reference book for those moments you are asking yourself 'uh...how do i do that...?'

The Knitting Goddess - Inspiring to the max. This is my type of book. I went and bought it because I can really identify with the stories, being that they are right up my alley. I love reading mystical-ish stories and being able to apply them to real life.

The Knitting Sutra - Great book, fascinating journey through one knitters life struggles and how knitting was always there. It didnt inspire me to go out and create a new project as it did to just stick with knitting and think about my life and reflect upon it a bit.

The Urban Knitter - Just a cool light hearted book with patterns for HYUKs (hip, young urban knitters) like myself (19 years)

That's all :)

[Jenn - moonglitter@moonglitter.net]
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2002 :  9:58:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Nancy Bush's book is "Knitting on the Road," which I just got from a book club. I want to try several socks in it, and I also like EZ and Maggie Rhigetti's "Knitting in Plain English." I am using Debbie Bliss' "How to Knit," to design an aran baby blanket. I like the book, but she uses different abbreviations or terminology, so I have to look up her charts, which seem to be in each chapter, according to what they were used for. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.