Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Circs in the City
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  08:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I noticed at our local knitting group last week that a VAST majority of the knitters there were using circular needles for their projects. I have a theory that it may have something to do with being in Manhattan with such cramped space that circs are almost a necessity. Every part of our daily life is rather snug with small apartments, crowded buses & subways and shared open spaces, like parks.

I know that there are other very good reasons to use circs. But my question is really more geared toward "city-folk" versus "country-folk" in a spacial sort of way. Do any other city dwellers find circs to be convenient way of being portable? Or could it just be an extension of our ability (or necessity) to keep everything contained in tight quarters?

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  1:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Interesting thoughts!

My reason for preferring circs even for straight knitting is simple: I knit more quietly with them. Could this be no ends poking out on either side to then get attacked by my pygmy tiger (aka "Trevor the cat") mean less yelling on my part???

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Kathe
Chatty Knitter

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  3:17:38 PM  Show Profile Send Kathe a Private Message
That's an interesting idea to ponder.

I prefer circular needles for all my knitting because it's easier on my hands and shoulders due to the flexibility. Also, as Rose stated, less temptation for Frankie the cat to get into trouble by playing with the needle ends.

HK, Kathe

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  3:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I switched to circulars because of the versitality. I can knit straight or cirular and now I can use them instead of DPN's! (woohoo) so no there is virtually nothing I can't do with them.

Interesting idea though, I don't live "in" the city.. more like the burbs but way more citified than I would prefer. Give me 100 acres with my house in the middle surrounded by trees!!! Then, as my Dad would say "I am gonna put me a huge pile of dirt in the front yard, just because I CAN!" Poor Dad... he can't wait to retire and move away from it all. Mom is a city girl, grew up in Boston and she wants to stay that way. Last I heard they are going their own ways when Dad retires... lol

Green Acres is the place to be...

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2366 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  6:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
Well, Marnita, as another "city-knitter" I think that it has a lot to do with the crowded conditions. I really like straight needles for many things, but the 14 inch ones really are difficult to use on trains and subways. Also, most of my favorites are wood or bamboo, and I worry about them breaking, because they stick up some out of the top of my tote bag.

Yesterday I was on the subway, got a seat, and pulled out my knitting since I was going from lower Manhattan to the Upper East Side to my hairdresser. Since it was Take Your Daughter to Work Day, there were lots of moms and daughters, and the girls were all moving over to watch what I was doing. There were comments from some of the Latina women that they had never seen circular needles before. Pretty soon total strangers were all chatting, women were holding small children (who were not theirs and who they had not known a few minutes before) on their laps, and it was a really friendly place. The power of knitting! Knitting is a real ice-breaker in the Big Apple, makes it seem almost like a small town.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

wildhorsefarmer
Permanent Resident

USA
1022 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  05:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit wildhorsefarmer's Homepage Send wildhorsefarmer a Private Message
Hi All,
I couldn't be less of a city person. I live out in the "middle of nowhere" on 80 acres, nearest neighbor is 5 miles away, town size is only 2,700, closest Wal-Mart is an hour away. I only use circulars for projects, exception being socks (still love my dpns for that).
I prefer circulars for all the reasons mentioned. They just seem more efficient.
Lisa in rural Oklahoma

Handknit Sock Designs
http://www.wildhorsefarmdesigns.com

Photos of socks I have knit..
http://www.picturetrail.com/wildhorsefarmer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000