Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Just Getting Started - Beginning to Spin
 what do you do with 4 oz of wool?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

talmithe
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  10:55:59 AM  Show Profile Send talmithe a Private Message
I have to stick up for singles. Everyone I know loves their singles yarn and no trouble with twist if you soft spin, don't over twist, and set the twist by washing. -- All things one would do anyway. Singles show your stitches so well, is so soft, has a designer look that you can't get with plied yarn. The plied make a lot of fun with color, of course, but I ADORE my singles and even my first attempts made designer-looking scarves. Two friends in Hollywood had friends asking about which boutique they bought their scarves -- I had to laugh because they were from my first thick-thin awkward attempts and I almost had thrown them away! I think singles add to that designer, primitive, lush, look.

Talmithe

Go to Top of Page

talmithe
New Pal

20 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile Send talmithe a Private Message
I just love singles and haven't had any trouble with them. Singles show definition of stitches so well and there is something so sensuous about their fat little rounds. That Twisted Sisters sock book even discusses knitted with "energized singles" that haven't even been washed to set the twist -- they DO have a strange bias thing going on, but it was incorporated into the design. I set my twist and they knit up great. Even my earliest tries, while far from Brown Sheep, knit up into beautiful scarves and hats. My newer, better, attempts have also turned out to be perfectly useful. I'm sure I will want to ply for lots of reasons, but singles are beautiful too. My teacher knits almost exclusively with singles, sells singles yarn, and swears by it. Also, spinning singles forces one to learn to make a "soft" twist and deal directly with overtwist. It is so satifying to turn out a mostly even singles yarn and even the places that didn't twist enough disapear when knit up. After all some people knit beautiful things out of unspun roving (remember that article in Spinoff a couple of years ago?) According to that article, spinning a twist strengthens the yarn, and makes storage of fiber easier, but isn't actually necessary for knitting. It looked to hard for me, but still, I have to say I LOVE knitting with singles.
Go to Top of Page

HeidiP
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile Send HeidiP a Private Message
Hi Sarah,

I'm new to spinning (less than 1 year at it) but I'm hooked. I'm using a Kromski Mazurka right now. Their spinning wheels are so beautiful I almost can't walk by it without sitting down to spin a while. The possibilities are endless with 4 oz. of wool! Besides using as already suggested, or if you need more yardage you can spin it as a single and ply it with something else.... blend it / hand card or drum card with another fiber.... spin it, and dye it to use with another yarn you already have....

I found that plying with my lazy kate (only had 1 in the beginnning) was difficult because the yarns would tangle coming off the same lazy kate. Problem solved: Use two buckets or large kitchen pots, put a wash cloth or dish towel in the bottom to create some drag so the bobbin doesn't spin too freely. Place 1 bobbin in each bucket and put one on your left side; the other on your right. Now you can ply -- your bobbins are contained! I keep mine at least 6 feet away from me -- seems to produce a more even/balanced yarn.

I don't believe there is a right or wrong way -- whatever works to achieve the result you're after -- whatever is most comfortable for you!

And yes, subscribe to Spin-Off!!! You can also get back issues through Interweave Press. Happy spinning!!!
Go to Top of Page

RobA
Permanent Resident

2373 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  1:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit RobA's Homepage Send RobA a Private Message
Just wanted to mention another book of patterns for handspun yarn that might help with estimating amounts needed for different projects: the title is Homespun Handknit. Socks, gloves, mittens, scarves, hats all from different weight and fibers. I am reading this forum as I plan to learn to spin -- gonna start in April and I can't wait!

Rob, knit blogging at http://roberta.typepad.com/robknits
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.81 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.