Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Started your holiday projects yet?
 Starting 2002 holiday projects
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  12:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I can't believe it but I have a fair amount of my Christmas shopping done already. No, I'm not finished for Christmas, I just have the shopping done. I've bought the yarn and I know what I want to make, now it's just DOING it! I bought Jaeger Cashmere (big sale!) for a shawl for my mother, Bollicina for a scarf for my sister and a scarf for my best friend. My dad got a big sweater last year so I think he'll get socks this year. My grandpa will definitely get socks and my aunt, well, that's yet to be determined. So for my immediate family, the shopping is done. The sale at the LYS definitely helped!

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  1:01:53 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I'm making placemats for the folks in my families, and scarves. I guess that sort of shows where my skill levels are, huh? Seriously, the placemats have a pattern to them, so they are challenging me ...by the time I get #32 done, I'll know that pattern by heart! The scarves are because the yarn shop had some really expensive but very beautiful yarn that I couldn't resist and it seldom gets cold enough in AZ to warrant a scarf. I've finished 4 scarves, working on the 5th now and have 3 placemats done, waiting for the cotton to finish the rest.

I know by Christmas, my knitting skills will have improved so that I could make more complicated things, but I can't wait that long to start my Christmas projects, can I?

chris (loving this knitting!)

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Simplicitly
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  2:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simplicitly's Homepage Send Simplicitly a Private Message
My biggest desire is to make some beautiful stockings for my hubby and I. You know -- the kind that hangs around for ever and ever. I have to learn how to make socks and do multi-color knitting first though....

Shetha

PS: I've already started knitting some Christmas gifts too...

Novice Crafter
Professional Geek
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  2:24:53 PM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Ok - you guys are making me feel bad! There's NO WAY I could start on holiday knitting this early in the year (I'll be lucky if I start before December ). Actually, I've got a bunch of baby stuff to do - my friends and family just won't stop getting pregnant! I guess if that slows down, I'll start thinking about what I might want to make for everyone.

Shetha - I'm with you, I'd love to make Christmas stockings. I haven't done colorwork yet, though. I guess stockings would be a good place to learn it since they tend to be relatively small projects.

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  11:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
Here is a pattern that I wrote based on a traditional stocking pattern that a teacher that lived with my great-grandparents in the 1940s knitted for several in our family and continued to knit them until she died in the 1970s. She "adopted" my grandfather and my mom as though they were her own because by the time it was okay for teachers to marry she was considered an "old maid." My sister was born after the woman died so she never got one. I decided this last year to knit one for my sister, so that she has one to match the rest of the family. I'm going to try to carry on the tradition.
Here's the pattern.
http://www.erica-lee.org/knit/pattern/index.html

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2002 :  06:04:24 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
Erica, your post regarding some old handknit stockings reminded me:
my sibs and I all have handknit stockings with the year we were born on them. (let's just say they are *old*)I was just thinking of sneaking over to my mom's and getting a stocking and trying to duplicate them for my boys. What fun.
kay

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2002 :  8:14:49 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Can you believe that I have actually started knitting hats and scarves for my cousin to sell and a Holiday Boutique (perhaps what they will call it) for the not too wealthy parochial school where she works. In a moment of madness I told her I would knit a bunch of hats and scarves for her and I have started now as I want to make about 20 sets for her in different colors and then get on with my needlepoint projects for my Christmas presents. As I shall be going away for a few days I must get some yarn to take with me and as I am flying and in March when we went to Las Vegas and my sandles were checked as well as my tote bag its going in the checked suitcase. I can honestly tell you that in San Francisco the screeners and not very nice but then they never have been and now that their jobs are threatened due to the fact that the federal government is taking over they are worried about their jobs as they have to be citizens. Some of those people have worked there for 20 years--why aren't they citizens. To have a federal job thats part of the deal. Sorry to be on a soap box but it infuriates me that these people think that they should have special treatment. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Wow, those of you that have already begun are really something! No such luck in this department, and to be honest, I'm not sure if I'll knit many gifts for anyone this year. I'm just trying to finish up 3 of my own projects and not get too overwhelmed.

Congrats to those of you who have knitted gifts already, though. You continue to be an inspiration!

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  12:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
I am happy to say that I am also starting to think about Christmas. I just got a book with lots of sock patterns. Everyone is getting socks for Christmas!!! Lucky for me, I can use the eknitting discount to fund my holiday gifts! Sometimes things just work out for the best.

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2002 :  5:29:25 PM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I have also begun my christmas knitting. Mostly because I needed a project to take on the train from Boston to New York and I wanted something easy to knit that I didn't have refer to the pattern much so I began a Puntas sweater for a child with green mountain spinnery yarn I got on sale at my LYS. It is knit in the round and then the neck arms and sleeves are all picked up and knit so it went very fast.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  02:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
In February I knitted a cotton chenille facecloth and was so enamored of it that I decided nigh about everybody on my list was getting a face cloth with herbal soap for Christmas this year. For one thing, it's a generic gift - no worry about size or really, even color. Nobody will have to feign pleasure at a garment he doesn't like. best of all, I can try out different patterns while knocking out gifts. One ball of chenille makes a cloth and guess which online source offering a 10% discount has some already on sale. And today I go to the big herb festival in Richmond to check out the handmade soaps.

Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  8:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I love you guys!!!! I always get teased because I get in the Christmas mood in July or August already. However, this year I seem to be in the mood already. At least after reading all your posts.
Here are my plans:
Sweater for DH:I want to use Regia sockyarn. I've been using a lot of jaquard lately and I want to try to use it with solid black in alternating rows.

Dolly clothes and cat family for DD:Her dolls are always naked and she does love cats.
Gloves and Scarf for DM:She told me about 3 years ago that she would like to have off white gloves but I didn't figure out how to make them until recently. Because she likes romantic style clothes I might try some bead knitting combined with eyelets.
Socks for World's Best DMIL:She's a crafty person herself but she'll never get around to use any yarn if I got her some (long story)so I thought I make her some cotton socks (she lives in FL).
Dunno for DFIL:I leave this up to my DH. They're both computer nerds and I'm sure he can come up with some kinda gadget for him.
Woolen Beddie for BennyBoy:He's my cat and a yarn lover, especially wool and mohair. I started a blanket style beddie for him using my own spun yarn (darn ugly but BennyBoy won't mind)
Knitted Bone for Jack:He's our dog and probably doesn't care much for knitted items. All he wants is FOOD!!!!!! However, he always occupies the couch including all the throw pillows I have. There's a never a pillow left for us. I though I would make him his own bone shaped pillow.

Erica, I loved the story about the teacher! What an inspiration!!!!!!!!!

Happy Knitting,
Knitter2568
knitter@newsguy.com
http://www.geocities.com/knitter2568
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  4:08:37 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I'll probably start knitting some presents in August for Christmas. Last year my son wanted to know why I hadn't knit him a sweater for Christmas. Interesting, when he was small I made him sweaters that he refused to wear. Now that he's a Men's XL he wants me to knit him a sweater. He's also picky about color, no green, no tan, no blue, black is nice or red. I dread knitting a man's sweater in black, that's looking at black yarn for months.

Right now I'm knitting wildefoot socks for my little daughter. She may get another pair of sock for Christmas along with fifty (just kidding) other items on her list.

I think DH will get his first pair of handknit socks, too.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  8:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
My son wants all of his sweaters in green! Ick! 12 years, 15 sweaters. All in various shades of green. Oh yea, and two green afghans. I love knitting for my daughter, she likes any color!

I am making both kids a pair of socks. Alex's were the envy of his boy scout troup during their April campout. It was below freezing all weekend. All the boys wanted some. I offered to teach them how, they didn't want them THAT bad! lol

Mom finally found the Betsy McCall doll that she wanted as a girl, she has been looking at every doll auction she attends. This year she was lucky but the poor baby is nekid!!! My sister found her some shoes and socks on Ebay but Mom wanted knitted clothes. I found 4 patterns from old McCall's Needlework and Crafts magazines. Mom's birthday is also in December so I figured she could have a whole wardrobe! However, I got taken by the idea and started knitting the first dress last weekend. I got it finished then wondered, OH HECK! What if they don't fit? So I packed the first one up and sent it to her for Mother's Day. Won't she be surprised?!

My niece wants a waterbottle holder like I made for my kids last year. 3 year olds are SO easy! I already have the yarn for that one.

Haven't decided on any other projects for the holidays yet. Waiting for inspiration to strike. Maybe this will be the year I finish knitting that elephant from my DH's Grandmother? ROFL!

Happy Knitting,

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2002 :  9:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
There is a pattern, McCall's I think for a cloth Betsy McCall doll, and I bought it late last year to make for my DGD. It's still sitting on the table...maybe I'll get it done for next birthday(November). I haven't started much of anything for Christmas, some people are hard to surprise since we homeschool...Barb

Go to Top of Page

caitlin
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  01:17:31 AM  Show Profile Send caitlin a Private Message
This is in regard to the cotton chenille face cloth...did you use Crystal Palace cotton chenille? And did you use the patterns in Interweave Knits??
I saw the project but wasn't sure how the cotton chenille would hold up after time.

Would love to try this though, especially for my 4-year-old who will wash his face with super-soft towels only.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  04:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I'm embarassed to say I don't know - I used the cotton chenille in Patternworks and also another brand whose band I've got stuffed somewhere for a second one. I kept one for myself and use it over and over. It's my favorite washcloth. ever. I don't have a dryer so it gets stiff on the clothes line. but I think it would be much fluffier and softer if it were dried in the drier. When it was new - oh oh oh oh ... such softness. Your recipient will think you love her/him more than anybody in the world. in fact, it was a while before I stopped just stroking my arms and face with it (like a week or so) and used it in the bath, it was so luxurious to touch. It's a genderless project. one size fits all. a great opportunity to try out a stitch pattern. I just put 7 rows of garter stitch on top and bottom, 5 stitches in garter stitch on either side, and then enough stitches to work the pattern and make it close to 12 inches wide, enough rows to make it about 12 inches long. I took a KP textured stitch out of a Barbara Walker book.

I will make hand towels one of these days = really do it up right. after a knit down some of my stash.

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  08:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I remembered and was inspired by your earlier post, Bess, when I was in Portland at the Yarn Garden last week and felt the Crystal Palace Cotton Chenille. I got a couple of colors for washcloths for Chistmas gifts, and am going to buy more to make the hand towels from Interweave for myself. At Yarn Garden they had a neat washcloth hanging right by the bin, it was done diagonally with YO's a couple of stitches in on the sides, which made a nice eyelet edge. If I figure out the exact instructions I will post on the pattern forum.

This cotton chenille really does feel wonderful - can't wait to cross at least one of my current projects off the list so that I can try it out.

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  2:23:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I made a diagonal washcloth that starts with 3 stitches and adds 1 stitch at the beginning of each row by making a yo after the first 3 stitches, except, I think you have to do the yo on the first row after 2 stitches! Just knit all the rest until the sides are as long as you want, then you decrease once on each row after doing the k3, yo, so it gets smaller, and just go back down to 3 stitches and cast off. Did that make any sense? Barb (How about this--K3, yo, k to end of row, turn. Repeat.

Go to Top of Page

Dot
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  3:44:40 PM  Show Profile Send Dot a Private Message
Bess and Shelia, thanks for discussing cotton chenille for washcloths. I'm having such fun with them. Bday gifts, Christmas and Hannukah, whatever requires a gift I'm now knitting up washcloths. When I first started knitting and visiting this forum I didn't understand why everybody was so excited about them. But in April I started my first sweater--cotton--and when I swatched that project I understood. Went out and bought a cone of the stuff for washcloths! Now I really want to try some chenille for the gift bag.

Shetha, I'd love to knit stockings for my family for Christmas. And I've thought about that double learning hit...socks plus color. Right now my new learnng priorities are cables (I love Aran knits), circular, and DPN. So maybe I'll fit "socks" in there as a DPN or circular project and just sew or glue on some little trinkets for color.

Go to Top of Page

moimers
New Pal

10 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2002 :  2:05:47 PM  Show Profile Send moimers a Private Message
For once, I've made a jump on the Christmas presents this year. I have a sweater almost finished for my new daughter-in-law (she and my son are stationed in Alaska for 3 years). I have yarn purchased and waiting for a striped sweater for my daughter. I have just finished a sweater for my son and husband. I plan on making a felted purse and some socks, too. I find that knitting helps calm my frustrations and anger, and I can't sit doing nothing now. (I've even threatened my pastor with bringing my knitting to church so that I can pay more attention to his sermons. For some reason, he just didn't like that idea too well.) Now, those are my plans. Will they get finished? I'll just have to wait and see. Debbie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?