Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 An afghan pattern question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
In the latest Mary Maxim catalogue there is a kit for an afghan knitted in the round. It's on page 35 and is called "Artful Inspirations Afghan." Clearly, I don't want to steal from Mary Maxim, but it occurs to me that this kind of square afghan knitted from the center might be fairly common.

From the description, it appears that the center is knit with dps; then one changes to circs as the number of stitches gets larger. There are bands of garter stitch and bands of stockinette. It might be possible to knit a square as the beginning (to avoid the dreaded dps), then pick up stitches all around with circs and go from there. But that's just my thinking as I'm eyeballing the finished product in the catalogue.

Does anyone know if a pattern for this kind of square afghan knitted from the center exists on the Web and, if so, where I might find it?

Thanks for any help.

sedgwick

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  2:11:43 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
I have seen this in one of EZ's (that's Elizabeth Zimmerman's) books, except that she called it a "square shawl" instead of an afghan. I think it was in Knitter's Alamanc, which is a small $5 book and a great source for ideas and good stories!
Go to Top of Page

BergenKnitter
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  4:51:29 PM  Show Profile Send BergenKnitter a Private Message
Sedgwick,
That looks like the LionBrand pattern. You can download the pattern for $2.50 from here:

http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/PictPage/1921942708.html

Kathleen
Go to Top of Page

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2004 :  9:16:23 PM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
Thanks, Elizabeth and Kathleen. I'll check out both those suggestions.

sedgwick
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  06:33:44 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You can create your own pattern easily. Cast on 8 stitches, knit one row,form into circle and work next row as k1,M1, from here on out to end, make 8 increases every other row. To get the square shape, pair up your increases spaced at 4 equal intervals. I do this by placing 4 markers in the circle, one a different color to mark the beginning of the round. Then I make an increase before and after each marker. The square shape is not clear until you remove the knitting from the needles. If you want more detail in getting started. Let me know.

fran

fran
Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
or make more of spiral by increasing every row.. 1 increase in each corner every row (i have a 'watch cap' i designed just like that.)

you don't have to just do stockingknit or reverse St. Kt. St, there are any number of patterns that work exceptionaly well..

you need a pattern that 'offsets 1 stitch each row.. (ie seed.. instead of Round1: K1 P1, Round 2: P1, K1, its
round 1: M1, *K1, P1
round 2: M1, K1 (this knit stitch is the make of the previous round) P1,(goes into previous K1, making a fool proof seed stitch pattern)*k1,p1...

this kind of pattern is dead easy and 'works' beautifully..

it gets more interesting when the pattern has 5 or more stitches in the repeat..(but each row has a one stitch increment)you then just 'follow the pattern' (repeat part of the pattern)over the 4 or 5 or what ever number of rows)
the spiral/pattern blend then becomes very pronounced. (and it makes it seem like you are some sort of expert knitting!)

another spin is a circular afghan/shawl knit straight-- Use a short row technique, and make wedge shapes (pizza slices) the short rows make the wedges, and all the wedges together make a circular blanket..
it works well in garter stitch (you do have to do a bit of math at first to figure out the relationship between # of stitches/gauge/wedge size /short rows)..8 wedges or more look best. (and its fun to change color as you make each wedge)--and think about # of colors and # of wedges. (so you have a proper pattern!)
Go to Top of Page

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2004 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
I am really enjoying all these suggestions. Thanks very much!

Isn't it fun to read knitting instructions? I love to do it, even when I know I'll never knit the actual item. I can easily visualise both of these suggestions--and I'll probably try them, as soon as I finish the afghan I'm working on now.

sedgwick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?