Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Dogs and Yarn
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LoriAnn
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  09:47:32 AM  Show Profile Send LoriAnn a Private Message
I have a 14 year-old, toy, silver poodle named Maynard. He was named Maynard so he would not put on airs and act like a stuck up poodle. It worked. He acts like a Maynard.

As a small puppy he was dropped on his head on a hard concrete floor. Sadly, this blow caused some damage to his brain. My sister did not wish to sell him because of this. And knowing he would be a special needs dog for the rest of his life, she gave him to me.

He has been a wonderful companion and friend of the last 14 years. I love him to death. And I think he will be the death of me.

Maynard is old. Fourteen is very old for a toy poodle. He is none too bright, mostly blind, very hard of hearing, has a nose that doesn't work, and has an attitude of forgetfulness that is very endearing.

He hates baths, being brushed, or groomed in any way. He gets a shave twice a year wether he needs one or not. His hair grows much like a sheeps does, and when he gets shaved it comes off as one felted mass.

Now, you can imagine that a dog who is hard of seeing to begin with, can see very little when his hair grows to cover his eyes. I have had to rescue him many times because he has lost is place in the house and wandered into the book shelf, or the laundry room, or found himself at a wall that "just wasn't supposed to be there."

I find him there, head hanging, looking a lot like Eeyore. I scoop him up. He hates to be picked up. And walk over to the back door and set him down. That's the beginning of the maze.

This is a story about dogs and yarn. Maynard is a yarn magnet. Somehow, yarn will find its way around Maynard's neck or feet. Often times, I or my friends have had projects pulled off the table while we are playing cards. Yes, we knit as we play cards or other games. Or is it that we play games while we knit?

Anyway... It's not that Maynard maliciously grabs it like my black lab, William, would have if he were still with us. No, Maynard just walks by and the yarn literally grabs him. He's the reason we have been putting our yarn in bags and hanging them off the backs of the chairs. And this poor dog just keeps walking, not realizing he is carrying off a dish cloth, or sock, or blanket. He doesn't even register that walking has become a little harder. So we have to stop and disengage the yarn from Maynard. Laughing all the while because he is more traumatized by our sudden appearance than the presense of the yarn.

I had been working on a blanket for my nephew. When I went to bed, I carefully folded it up and put it in the knitting bag. I have two dogs and a cat that *LOVE* to cuddle with blankets so I have to make sure it is covered when I am not directly working on it.

Now this bag is a wonder of a bag. Perfect for knitting a blanket that uses three colors at a time. There are three pouches on the outside that are the perfect size for a pull-skein of yarn. Two of the skeins stored there were currently not involved in the blanet I was knitting. Knowing Maynard would be out and about while I was sleeping, what's night to a blind dog, I carefully placed the knitting bag on the couch, protecting the yarn I was using. Then I went to bed.

The next morning, I sleepily dragged myself out of bed and headed into the living room to go upstairs and wake my kids for school. Looking down, I saw a dark green line cross my path. I stopped and blinked for a few seconds thinking my contacts had slipped or fogged up and I was seeing things. Nope, that's really a green line.

Squatting down, I picked it up. It was yarn, the yarn for the blanket I was making. Cursing Maynard under my breath, I started to pull it thinking it had adhered to Maynard but couldn't have gone that far. I was just going to wind it up and put it back in the bag. I was only at most 10 feet away from the knitting bag.

It wouldn't move. Not only that, it was taut. I could have plucked it like a guitar string. Curious, I started following it like a trail of bread crumbs. It went under the end table, around the couch into the kitchen.

There I found it wrapped around the legs of one of the chairs, around one leg of another chair, around the pedestal of the table a couple of times, around the legs of the next chair, until finally I found Maynard hog-tied under the fourth chair. He looked like a calf that had been roped in a calf roping contest! I laughed so hard.

He looked at me as if to say, "Mom, I got lost. Where's the beginning of the maze?"

Hugs and Chocolate,

Lori

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  10:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
That is the sweetest story. I have cats and I know that they always like to help with my knitting. Never (yet) to this extent. He is one lucky doggie to have such a forgiving and patient mommy like you.

Go to Top of Page

Shysmommy
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  11:49:59 AM  Show Profile Send Shysmommy a Private Message
That s a great story.......have you ever thought of having his fur spun.......somewhere they have a book on dog yarn or knitting dog fur....hmmmmmm my mind isn't what it used to be either....Sounds like a wonderful dog though, our dog is too high strung to be a nice dog yet.....she is 3 yrs old and acts like she is6 months......picture a bull in a china shop gotta love her though!!

Friends Welcome
Go to Top of Page

LoriAnn
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  2:15:32 PM  Show Profile Send LoriAnn a Private Message
Ive read of people doing just that in Dog Fancy magazine. A woman with Samoyeds was doing it for the article. But me spin it? That would be a hoot! Still the irony of knitting a dog sweater for my newly shaven dog out of his own pelt just might be worth it.

Hugs and Chocolate,

Lori
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  2:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
It's called "Chiengora" - dog hair yarn, from "Chien" for dog and "gora" like angora

Go here to find out more http://www.mdnpd.com/pd/default.htm

I'd love to do it myself, but it would take SOOOO long to get enough hair from my cats. Plus, I have this amazingly beautiful calico cat. Know what happens when you brush a calico? A miracle occurs, and all her hair comes off grey. Who knew?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Violet
New Pal

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  4:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send Violet a Private Message
Hi Lori,

I was just reading your story about your little Maynard. Thought I’d share a similar story of my own.

We used to have a Samoyed (Oskar). We absolutely loved Oskar and he was with us for around 11 years before he went on to doggy heaven. My husband and I both work, so we had to leave Oskar at home during the day. But, at about the time when Oskar was about 5/6 months old I was knitting an aran jumper for my hubby and at that time I used a cane wicker basket to keep my current knitting project in. So one knight before I went to bed I put my knitting in the basket and left it there at the side of my chair in the loungeroom, not giving it another thought. The house we were living in at the time was a split-level with a rail from the top level to the lower and there was access at both end, hence a kind of an 'island'. Anyway, the next day I went to work, and at the end of they day I came home, unlocked the door to find almost half of the front of my aran jumper wrapped and twirled across and around the centre piece of the split level! Also, like most pups he thought he'd play with it and chew it some. I figure that at some stage he thought his teeth need flossing! As though that was enough fun for him, he also upturned one of my pots which was sitting alongside a wall and pulled the plant out of the it and placed it in the middle of the floor of our loungeroom. You could imagine my shock when I first walked in through the door that day. Because I first saw the dirt from the pot strewn all over the floor, at first glance I wondered if we'd been broken into. Then I saw the wool all over the floor too and Oskar in the middle of the loungeroom still nibbling my plant! He looked up at me as if to say "Look mum! Look what I did!".

After the event we had a good laugh about it, but right at the moment I wasn't laughing. He looked so cute, and PROUD that I couldn't get too angry at him. But I did pick him up and carried him around the room to show him what he'd done and then gave him a little spank on his behind and popped him outside in the garden for a few minutes while I cleaned up the mess. The message must have got through because he never touched my knitting again.

We now have a malamute. Brocky is 3½ years old and he has his own personality (full of attitude), but he’s never done anything quite like that.

Close to the skin, at the base of a Samoyed’s fur is actually wool not hair. It serves as an insulator against cold and heat, much like down on a duck does. There are people who do spin this wool and knit it. I haven’t experienced it first hand, but I’ve been told that it knits up kind of like angora. After grooming a Samoyed there can be almost 2 plastic shopping bags full! When they are shedding between seasons, there would definetly be 2 bags worth. So you can imagine, it would probably only take two or three grooms before you had enough wool to spin for a jumper.

Until next time….

Regards,
Violet, from Aussieland.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  4:16:31 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Lori:

Your Maynard sounds dear, or at least he does to a real "dog person." Haven't met the new dog across the street yet. Not his fault or mine. We almost met the other day but he got literally yanked across the street. Oh, well, perhaps later. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

LoriAnn
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  7:21:15 PM  Show Profile Send LoriAnn a Private Message
Violet, ROFL! Oh, I can just see that wonderfully sweet expression, and smile. That, "What? It was evil, Mom, I mean it." Thanks for the chucle.

Hugs and Chocolate,

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  03:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312152906/qid%3D1018607508/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/002-8119747-6568810

Is this the book? It's called : Knitting With Dog Hair : Better a Sweater from a Dog You Know and Love Than from a Sheep You'll Never Meet
(I love that title!)

Theresa
http://bagatell.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2002 :  10:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I loved your stories.
I have two cats, but they are very good at getting into trouble. I call them my furry monsters. I came home one day to find a ball of yarn that I had been crocheting an afghan with all over the living room. I was living in a small apartment and I can't even begin to describe where the yarn ended up - to give you an idea - think of the lasers that you see in spy movies going every-which-way, that was my living room. I thought it was so funny because my needle was in the afghan exactly as I had left it. I'm sure they thought they were giving me a sweet present.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2002 :  3:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Lori also forgot to tell you that her other dog, Sheila will only come when you call Maynard. Of course, Maynard can't hear you. But if Sheila thinks he might be getting a bonus goodie she comes running! Here's another weirdness, my dogs also come when I call Maynard. We don't have a Maynard at my house and while Sheila comes for a visit once in a while Maynard never has!

Maynard has taught me to not let my yarn drop to the floor. Where ever he is in the house (deaf and blind, bent nearly in half from age) when I drop it he always manages to meander by and drag it off before I can pick it up! Days can go by without my seeing Maynard move but let me drop yarn and WHAMMO! There it goes...

Pets make you live longer, or maybe it just seems that way!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

GerriClemens
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2002 :  7:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit GerriClemens's Homepage Send GerriClemens a Private Message
I enjoy your stories. I have been spinning for years and just after I dot my wheel and began working seriously a friend asked me to spin the hair from her 4 collies. I did and made a hanging for her so that she could always have something to keep if something happened to her family. Also, my I made a sweater for my husband out of the hair of his chow mix, , which he had raised from 5 days old. Toes would have been 11 years this past December, but he disappeared the day after Thanksgiving and we were never able to find him. My husband has the sweater and when he wears it he says he feels like Toes is still with him.

CricketGlenn
Gerri Gregory
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  05:55:26 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
More dog stories!

Clara, here's your chance to write an excellent children's book about dogs and knitting. I'm sure someone in the forums could illustrate.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  2:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
My cat Trevor comes when I call the other one (Misha) - same reason - he thinks she's getting a treat and she isn't. This is the same cat that plays fetch. When I do go into the kitchen to get them a treat, he's always right with me, and as I'm opening the goodie bag, if I say "Tell your sister we're having treats" he yells really loud. He's such a puppy-cat.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

LoriAnn
Warming Up

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  2:04:51 PM  Show Profile Send LoriAnn a Private Message
Gerri,

I'm so sorry to hear about Toes. Four years ago, my family went to visit my sister in South Carolina for Christmas. The day we got home, my black lab William, had dug out under the fence and went off chasing rabbits. We have never seen him since. I wish I had something other than a fuzzy picture or two to remind me of him. A sweater or a swatch would have been wonderful. It's about time to shave Maynard again, so I think I will try to do something with them.

Hugs and Chocolate,

Lori
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.