Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 How has the Internet changed your knitting?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

cdenehy
New Pal

Australia
13 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  11:46:20 PM  Show Profile Send cdenehy a Private Message
[quote]Originally posted by SusanT

Besides access to yarn, mostly through Elann, I've benefitted the advice and wisdom of other knitters here. It's like a 24/7 knitters guild meeting.

Hear hear! Elann has been my lifesaver in an ocean of dull knitting material. Unfortunately there is SO MUCH on the Internet that is knitting related that if I kept up with everything I'd never have time to knit. And Amazon is a naughty place. They are always suggesting more books for me to buy!
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  12:47:43 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
There's a new issue of KR? I want to know why I'm not stillgetting it! I got the last one, but not this one! NO FAIR!!! CLARA!!!!!!!!HELP!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

ilse
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  08:12:12 AM  Show Profile Send ilse a Private Message
All of the above!
Ilse
Go to Top of Page

DianeS
New Pal

6 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  09:43:59 AM  Show Profile Send DianeS a Private Message
This post serves as both an answer to this question and a follow-up to another topic of mine. In November I read about the chemo caps project and sought advice on circular needles from a my good teacher friend, Edna, who was a fine knitter and had cancer. I say "was" and "had" because she lost her battle on January 2nd. Before she died, this beautiful lady got so excited about the chemo caps project that she mobilized our school PTA to form a knitter's group for this project. We met in December, even though Edna was weak and in pain.
We will meet again next week, without Edna, to continue the project in her memory. Thanks to my reading about the project here in Knitter's Review, Edna will leave behind a legacy of knitters, working to help other cancer victims.
Go to Top of Page

MadameDeFarge
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:06:18 PM  Show Profile Send MadameDeFarge a Private Message
Oh, I have found so many chatting friends from the Internet. I belong to a few email groups, but have a regular group of "fiberlings" on AIM. We chat daily ... or as someone said ... 24/7 you can find someone on line.

I am a constant and addicted knitter, hence the nickname! I consider myself an intermediate knitter, and now with the help of my online pals, have ventured into shawls, and lace.

I have met some of my on line pals, but nothing was equal to meeting Franna, from The Netherlands, when I visited Amsterdam on a cruise last June. I am now planning to visit her for 2 weeks this coming summer.

Back to the Pacific Northwest Shawl ... my latest attempt!

Madame
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:31:05 PM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
I can't even imagine what my knitting would be like without Internet! When I dusted off my needles 2 years ago to relearn I was at home without my knitting family around to ask for help. I used online video tutorials, posted questions on KR, googled, shopped for books, joined forums - everything! I've been given access to yarns from around the world, learned about techniqes and yarns I probably wouldn't have discovered, shopped online, chatted online... With so much information available, I know I've learned more with Internet and been challenged to try more and just been exposed to so many more possibilities. And I've been able to get tools and books and yarns not available at my LYS.
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
I love the sense of community with the internet. I hadn't knitted in about 5 years, but since I re-picked up my needles in October, I've done a scarf, a sweater, one and a half pairs of socks (my first ever), and a start on another sweater. I've learned short rows and the magic loop method, and I've found lots and lots of helpful, knowledgeable people. And ultimately, that's what I love best about the internet/knitting combination. I love having a sense of community with people with the same interests, and it's not always possible to find within a certain geographic area!

The same thing with dog training when I got my two puppies in the last four years--there are lots of smart dog training techniques (like clicker training!) that I never would have heard of if not for the internet. And then there's the book group I belong to . . . the internet is great for finding lots of information but mostly for finding lots of people who also care.

Deb in NJ
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2004 :  1:57:50 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
Writing on this great topic would easily fill a couple of pages, so I'll say amen to the comments above and just comment on the health aspect. When I stumbled across KR six months ago, I little imagined the impact it would have on my life and HEALTH. Missing my buddies from a formerly more active life, I found new friends on the internet. I do not have to be out of touch with people. And what people! KR folks are the best in every way. Sometimes a shut-in can get depressed, but that is not going to happen to me.

Besides the social contact, I am constantly lured into new skills, projects and creativity. I will always be busy doing what I love. And if I get lazy about doing my exercises and routines,I think: do a ten-minute workout and then you can go back to the computer or knit some more, or whatever.

There will always be a way for me to be useful, something to contribute--whether it be a bit of advice and encouragement, a project for charity or a knitted gift.

We have all heard how being in contact with friends, fun, laughter, work that one loves, and the feeling of being useful can add to quality of life. It makes us happier and at the same time makes us healthier. Isn't it marvelous that KR via the internet actually does all that for me?

Margaret in South Carolina
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  04:42:48 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
The Internet has definatley improoved my knitting skills !
Knitting does not appear to be that popular in the UK as it does in the US & I get most of my inspiration from the US/CAN .
I have also really enjoyed learning about North America in the process because I have never acually been there .
( One day!)
The internet has broadened my narrow knitting horizons from local to world wide .
I have made some super cyber-buddies tooo !

christina C in Greater London England

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
My family cannot believe how often I've used the internet to access knitting sites, nor how many friends I've made in so doing. They always remind me that I was the last hold out in our entire family when it came to buying a computer and going online. True....I didn't want to get a computer, or go online, and now I'm worse than any of my kids and they really get a chuckle out of it.

I love looking at all the yarn sites and seeing the different things they have to offer. It's also great to hear all of your experiences with different types of yarns, what you think of certain knitting books, and how you handle certain techniques of knitting.

However, on KR, IMHO we have the cream of the crop in the knitting world. First and foremost, our much loved Clara, and the friends I've made on this forum are wonderful. In particular, I dearly love Bess, and Milinda, to say nothing of Marfa, and many others who have been so generous in so many ways!

Blessings, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Knitterbugs
Chatty Knitter

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  09:23:40 AM  Show Profile Send Knitterbugs a Private Message
This is a really good topic. I don't know where to start. When I was knitting years ago before everyone had computers, it was much different than it is now. Finding a certain pattern was harder, learning a new stitch was harder, and yarn variety was limited. You couldn't even find a local knitting group unless you bumped into one by accident.
Now you can find any pattern you're looking for, learn any new stitch you need to, find tons of yarn, and even find a local knitting group just by looking it up or posting on a forum. The internet has turned my knitting into a much more "active" hobby than it was years ago.

~Pam

Knitterbugs
http://journals.aol.com/knitterbugs/knittingblog
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  09:28:34 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Deb, I alway wanted to belong to a book group. How did you find one? Living in a small town without lots of amenities the internet is a god send. Yarns, books, info and best of all people/friends at your finger tips. Even when I move back to Seattle there are people on the forum that live within a mile of where I will live, if not for the internet how would I no. It will be nice to meet with people that love knitting, join a knit guild and a quilt guild. Yes I love the the internet.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  10:29:12 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Where do I start. I have been pretty long winded today. Lots of great topics on the net!! The internet has significantly impacted my knitting life. I picked up knitting again from my high school days a year and 3 months ago now. I found this forum a little less than a year now. Does anyone know how i can find out how long I have been a member on KR forum?
Ok, back to the toic. Before the internet I had two knitting books Knitting for Dummies and the Idoit's book of Knitting and Crocheting. Now I have approx 42 books on knitting!! and tons and tons of current and back issues of all the knitting magazines. I have had to totally redo my bookcases to accomodate my growing collection of books and magazines. Since the internet I have 3 huge plastic bins stacked on top of each other with 3 drawers a piece in them filled to the brim with yarn. They almost touch the ceiling . Then I have another set of medium sized ones stacked on top of each other with 3 drawers a piece, 6 in all also filled to the brim with yarn. Not to mention stashed in bags all over my office. So , I have a large stash of beautiful yarn since the internet. I have a whole new world of information, retail shops and weblogs to visit. I have quit smoking!!! I have made some new friends. I would have never met Judy M and signed up to go on a knitting cruise with her. I would never have joined the community knitting group she introduced me to. I would never have met such a kind person!!! Judy M is truly a lovely person. I have continued to want to be challenged in my knitting by the encouragement of others here and seeing their weblogs and believing i could do that as well. I would not probaly have continued to take classes at my LYS and be as inspired as i am. I have joined The Knitting Guild of America. I have a whole collection of wonderful patterns because of the internet savvy of Christinac. Many of the KR knitters have introduced me to sites about knitting I never dreamed about, like animation and knitting movies/video's. Wow!!!! A whole new world of ebay opened for me. I never thought of typing the word knitting or yarn in the search box. I have never been the same since!!! I never would have met Vicky by the Bay , Sermom, Marg in Calgary, Susan, and on and on. Soo many of you have been supportive of me during personal crises as well. I love this place!!! Thanks Clara!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  1:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Lelani, you joined in August, 2003. Go to the area at the top of this page that reads, "Profile" and it will show you the date you joined along with all of the topics you have ever posted a comment. It is amazing how the Internet has changed everyone's lives in so many ways. I use my lap top to keep every single area of my life organized and running efficiently.
Teresa
http://journals.aol.com/knit2relax/KnittingandMore/
Go to Top of Page

amelia
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  06:10:06 AM  Show Profile Send amelia a Private Message
I don't know if someone already said this but I learned how to knit on the net. That fiberarts site with the 4 free videos was a great teacher. That plus lots of trial and error.

I'm craving the company of irl knitters lately but the lys here isn't very friendly and I haven't ventured out yet.

Amelia
Go to Top of Page

eclaire26

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  06:54:19 AM  Show Profile Send eclaire26 a Private Message
When I was working in a yarn shop, I had access to so much yarn and information, books, and patterns that I didn't do much with the internet. Also, since I was working, I didn't have the time! My limited experience with the internet was when customers would come into the yarn shop with a free pattern they had found on the internet that they couldn't figure out. I spent an awful lot of time decyphering poorly written patterns for new knitters who were trying to save $3 or $4 by using a free pattern. It was very frustrating at times, because so many poorly written patterns are out there that have not gone through the process of being test knitted in all the different sizes, and edited before publication.
Now that I have moved and am not working, I have used the internet much more for patterns and ideas. The yarn shops in my area are not nearly as comprehensive as the one I worked at, and the people don't seem to be as friendly, either. The owners have the customers that they know, and everyone else gets virtually ignored (at least that's how I feel). I have found yarn shopping to be a rather depressing experience lately. So, I do my poking around on the internet. It's where I found a great way to use up plastic grocery bags by knitting with them!
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  09:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
I was knitting 20 years ago when I didn't even know what a computer was. It was so difficult to find good yarns in my area. I struggled along on my own.

Now that I am back to knitting again WOW! So many great yarns are at my fingertips just by clicking. So much great help and patterns. Also the fact that I can discover where the shops are in my state and when I travel. It is so much more enjoyable now. Only drawback, too easy to spend way too much money
Go to Top of Page

neilarla
New Pal

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  10:03:08 PM  Show Profile Send neilarla a Private Message
Although I don't think that I would buy books or yarn online, I have learned much from surfing the knitting sites. I have always been frustrated about the fact that I have to knit another sock after I've finished the first one. Now after finding a site that explains how to knit the pair on two circular needles, I have been enticed to try the method. I have access to countless patterns... not only for socks, slippers, etc., but also to knitted lace doilies, tablecloths, placemats, etc. My learning curve has taken a sharp turn upwards, and I'm loving it. Thanks for the opportunity to tell you all what the internet has done for my knitting.

Sign me,

An old dog(?) learning some new tricks :o)

Arla
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  06:50:28 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Welcome to the forum Arla! I didn't think I would ever buy yarn or books on the net, but this is how I started. I went to my LYS and wandered around for several hours...jotting down brands and types and what I liked and what I didn't. I bought some yarn to make a tank top that day. Then I went home and sat at my computer and what did I find? I found the yarns I loved at 1/2 the price so I could buy twice as much. I have gotten to know which site has great customer service, who doesn't, who accepts returns, who doesnt. The owners on the net are usually so curteous and friendly I have become dear friends with two of them. We e-mail each other on a regular basis. I now buy books also after reading the postings on the book. If I don't like it I send it back or trade someone here for something else I'm interested. If you want to try to buy yarn over the computer, and are afraid to send your card # you can call in your orders at almost all the sites. I'm being a true enabler right now....so sorry!!

Christina, When you come to the states you have to come to California and stay here as long as you like. Bring your spouse and kids and go down to Disneyland and Hollywood. See Yosemite National Park. Go to Lake Tahoe....see the Pacific Coast line!!! Awesome things to see here in California. Awesome things to see across the US....Northern Idaho, Montana, Wyoming....Yellowstone/old faithful. MT Rushmour, the Badlands, the Great Lakes, the Tetons, The Rockies, The SouthWestern Desert, the Alamo, NYC, Philidelphia, Washington DC, Virginia, Florida....the list goes on and on and on..But start here in California at Vicky's house....

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Chappysmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

519 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  06:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chappysmom's Homepage Send Chappysmom a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ditzy Girl

Deb, I alway wanted to belong to a book group. How did you find one? Zola

Zola--

The book group I chat with is on AOL; I found it years ago when I was browsing the "hobbies" section to see what was available. I've pretty much come to the conclusion, though, that there's an online group for just about anything you're interested in--the trick is to find the nice ones, like this one! (grin)

--Deb
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.