Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Synthetic Dyes
 BergenKnitter!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

koolsheep
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  12:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit koolsheep's Homepage Send koolsheep a Private Message
How did it go with using Wilton's to dye your yarn? Do you have any pics? I'd love to see the results :)

Karen
www.koolsheepsoakers.com

BergenKnitter
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  1:09:09 PM  Show Profile Send BergenKnitter a Private Message
I don't have any pics yet. I will try to work on it soon. But I'll give you some background.

I started with Paton's Classic Wool in Aran (thanks to Smileys Hotel Sale).

I soaked it in room temp water + vinegar for an hour or more (my husband walked into the kitchen and asked me why I was playing with spaghetti - until he realized it was the yarn.

I experimented with Delphinum Blue - it turned out purple (I checked the label it does contain red as well as blue). I ended up adding some sky blue to the mixture.

Then I tried Willow Green - some of the gold color came out in that one.

I mixed each color with vinegar & water (about one part vinegar to 3 parts water) into condiment squeeze bottles, put some trash bags on the floor, gloved up & squirted & smooshed (sp).

I cooked the yarn 2 minutes, the rest for 2, then cooked for 2 more. When it cooled I rinsed it, then hung to dry.

I really like the way the colors came out, they are a bit mottled, so the green sections are green, greenish gold, and the blues range from almost aqua to pale blue.
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2004 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Oh my, that's gotta work. We used to have a Wilton Bakery out by me, it shared the space with Wilton Corp. Headquarter's. Anyway, my neighbor bought a cake from them for her son's first birthday and someone in her family dropped some frosting on her carpet, the carpet was cream colored and the icing was RED, very red. Well let's just say her son is now 16 and the stain is still there. Yikes!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

koolsheep
Chatty Knitter

104 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  09:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit koolsheep's Homepage Send koolsheep a Private Message
So did you find that the colors were true, or a little muted? I love using Kool-aid because the colors are so intense and vibrant, yet transparent too, if that makes sense. I'm just sick to death of opening all those little packets and spilling powder all over the place so I'm researching to see what the alternatives are. I like to keep it food-grade as I do all my dyeing in the kitchen, with the microwave, and usually in our casseroles, etc.

Karen
www.koolsheepsoakers.com
Go to Top of Page

BergenKnitter
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send BergenKnitter a Private Message
Karen,
I would say my results are muted, but I think the colors I picked were muted to begin with. I also put the colors on an off-white background, so if you started with white, the colors would probably be brighter.

I used the Wilton because I wanted to keep it food grade too, and I really didn't want the bright Kool-Aid colors.

Kathleen
Go to Top of Page

yarnlover
Permanent Resident

1752 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  11:25:06 AM  Show Profile Send yarnlover a Private Message
I've used the Wilton products to dye yarn too. For the same reasons, I want to do this in my kitchen, safely. There was an article awhile ago, I think in Cast On, about this dyeing with this product.

There is more color selection than kool-aid, and it's just as easy. I don't own a microwave, so put my yarn in the oven for the heating part of the process. I was pretty happy with the results, and it's very easy - and safe. I used pretty much the same process as described earlier.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

dragonmom
Seriously Hooked

USA
956 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  12:10:54 PM  Show Profile Send dragonmom a Private Message
i love the koolaid dyeing myself, but i supplement it with schilling food dye. i made a yellow that was almost orange, it was so bright, and a pretty grass green. of course, i was also using off white. it was yarn i'd spun myself, that i wanted to ply with a crayola variegated roving that i'd gotten from the now defunct spinning shop i used to go to. i ended up just plying the yellow, cuz the green didn't match the green in my variegated, and intend on using it to make hats for my boys, 9 and 11. has anyone tryed rit dye?(or is that heresy, lol?)
Minnie

the world is knitted from one beautifully variegated skein.
Go to Top of Page

BergenKnitter
Chatty Knitter

249 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2004 :  1:32:23 PM  Show Profile Send BergenKnitter a Private Message
I have also read on someone's web site (Karen it maybe one you know) that used leftover Easter Egg dye. Many of the egg dyes come in little tablets that dissolve in water. It may be worth a pre-Easter test, to be followed up by stocking up on leftover dye after the holiday.

I also found this website:
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/liquidbasedfoodcolors.htm

that sells liquid food colors in a range of colors and they also have a mixing chart:
http://www.candylandcrafts.com/colorchart.htm

Kathleen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.