Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Great article in Knit 'n Style
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alison
New Pal

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  4:12:12 PM  Show Profile Send Alison a Private Message
Here's another good site/list for fitting help:

http://www.ample-knitters.com/

Go to Top of Page

Marsha
New Pal

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  9:06:54 PM  Show Profile Send Marsha a Private Message
quote:

I guess i'm a Weeble - I'm three sizes bigger on the bottom than I am on th top, which is MUCH harder to clothe. You gals with chests have it made - your sweaters can drop from the chest and avoid touching your middle. Since my gut sticks out farther than my chest, I always look like a swallowed a beach ball - MOST unappealing. I haven't found a solution yet, and a-line makes it worse - emphasizes how wide my middle is. Sigh.

Your description of yourself reminds me of my sister, and she is one of my favourite people to knit for simply because she just loves hand knitted articles from me! The best looking thing I ever made her was a pattern from Paton's The Outsize Book, it's a vest with a 12 r lacy pattern, purl every other row, I made it in grey 100% wool and finished it off with pewter buttons, it looked so nice on her and she looked nice in it, I think it was the combination of the lacy pattern and the drape of the wool and the smile on her face that made for a very attractive picture. Very satisfying for the knitter!

Marsha in Toronto
Go to Top of Page

ballettoes
New Pal

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  9:36:31 PM  Show Profile Send ballettoes a Private Message
I looked at Lily Chin's book and I did not buy it, period.

Go to Top of Page

catwoman
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  11:12:23 PM  Show Profile Send catwoman a Private Message
Being somewhat robust myself and knitting for someone who definitely fits that description, I invested in a program called The Sweater Wizrd at Stitches East last year. No need to try to finagle the numbers around to make something fit. Put in the desired numbers and the program gives you a pattern for a sweater in whatever style you request. After many attempts to get a properly fitted vest for my best friend, I put the information into the program, knitted the vest according to the directions, and it FIT!!! I'm hooked!

Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2002 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
[quote]
Hi Catwoman,

What is Stiches East? That Sweater Wizard sounds great.

Thanks,
Carin

Go to Top of Page

Cedar
Chatty Knitter

101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2002 :  3:49:55 PM  Show Profile Send Cedar a Private Message
Just a thought, sheeplass...
Have you tried vintage knitting patterns? Pre-1960s clothes (with the exception of flapper era) always seem to assume that women are short and hourglass figured, and the further you go back the shorter and more hourglass the patterns get. E-bay might be a good place to start looking...

quote:

Fitting sweaters to real humans is a nightmare!! I'm 5'1", and a size 16 (size 14 on a thin day), but..... my size is all in my bust and hips, none of it is in my waist. I look like a linebacker if I follow instructions to the letter. Or a potato. Not good!

So I basically ignore the numbers, and work off my gauge and measuring... a LOT of measuring. My gauge rarely seems to match the suggested gauge anyway, so it saves a lot of time ;)

Go to Top of Page

ozknitter
Permanent Resident

Australia
3291 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2002 :  7:07:31 PM  Show Profile Send ozknitter a Private Message
Dear BessH,

Where or where can I get a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman's circular knit sweater. I am in Australia so it is hard to get books like the above.

Cheers.

Ozknitter.

Rose Windman
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  02:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
If you can purchase in OZ from Amazon.com you can get knitting workshop and knitting without tears from them. Although most people prefer knitting without tears, I prefer knitting workshop - these are preferences, so feel free to get either one. Kw/oT has a great tam pattern in it and the KW has the heart hat in it.

If you can't get the books through amazon.com email me and I will send you some more advice.

Go to Top of Page

Deodand
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  1:33:41 PM  Show Profile Send Deodand a Private Message
The thing that bugs me about plus size knitting is getting all those stitches on the needles and actually knitting them when they are crammed on so tight. Even when I use long needles, if you want to make a buttonband on something long or are using a chunky wool, it can make a person crazy knitting like that.

And who decided that most patterns don't need waist shaping? I'm guessing most of you knitters out there have waists of some sort, yes?

Go to Top of Page

AtomicKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2002 :  2:41:19 PM  Show Profile Send AtomicKnit a Private Message
Deodand: if you use a (60-cm or longer)circular needle to knit back and forth, you can put on a staggering number of stitches--even in thick wools--and never have to worry about them being crammed tightly together. And you're right: pattern designers seem to think that if we're big gals we're cylindrical!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?