Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting Celebs, Articles, Jokes, etc.
 Great article in Knit 'n Style
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  07:13:47 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Lissa, you are one lof the lucky ones. To balance the lower part, you need to emphasize the neckline. You can wear the overlarge collars, cowl necklines, bows on the front, etc, etc, etc. I am very topheavy and v-necks look best on me but they must be flat with only minimal detail like 1-cord edging or a narrow flat lace. My mother had a figure like yours and I loved to make things for her. The trick with vests is to be sure that it is wide enough to close comfortably with enough ease, then open it down the front. If the vest won't close in the front, it will hang back on the sides and not come close enough together.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  10:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Fran, I hadn't thought of that. A vest (or jacket) just has to be big enough around to meet in the middle + a couple of inches. Once again, a million thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  7:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Have you read some of these high fashion knitting patterns lately? They call a size 36 inch chest one size fits all!!! SNORT! More like fits one thigh.

I do wish more pattern makers would wake up to reality. But then not many people want to be told it will take 20 skeins of yarn to make a sweater their size either. It can be a considerable investment but well worth it if the results are pleasing. If you make more conservative styles they can be worn for most of a lifetime! (unless you change sizes, hey, a girl can dream it would be in the more favorable direction!)

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  6:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
I have noticed that the sizes of teenagers and models has gotten smaller the "one size fits all" seems to have gotten smaller. Okay, I'm only 28, so this is just based on my observances. I know that the clothes when I was a teenager (oh, good grief, here come the teenager stories ) "one size" fit most people I knew. Now the clothes are all about "body hugging" and slim clothes. I saw a girl today that I could have sworn wasn't wearing a top, it was a piece of fabric tied to the front of her. A lot of girls walking around today would have been considered too skinny when I was in high school. Since these slim clothes are such the style, it's like some of the knitting designers are gearing their sizes towards them. Most knitters I know aren't ultra-model thin and also aren't under the age of 18 (no offense to those of you under 18). I wear a small shirt at Talbot's Petites but I was utterly disgusted when I went into a Banana Republic store and the extra large looked like an extra small on me. It's almost as if by making sizes such a big deal in the stores and comparing ourselves to the sizes that other people wear, it's making us feel worse about ourselves. I know that they are a necessary evil, but how nice would it be to go in a store and not have to try on every size they have because you don't know what size you are in a particular brand. I tend to buy mostly Talbot's because I know what sizes I wear there and their sizes tend to be on the "normal" size and a normal cut!
Just venting about sizes.

erica :)

Btw, if you get TKGA's Cast On magazine there was an article called "Knitting for the Amply Bless Woman" in the Winter/Spring 2002 issue. It was a great article. If you don't get the magazine let me know and I can copy it for you.

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  6:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Rita Rudner has a theory that the larger cut a size is, the more expensive it is. Her words (not mine) "Somewhere out there is a size three so expensive it fits Nell Carter" I don't disagree. I personally own a dress in a hot pink that (with my red hair) I'd look as if I was set on fire if I attempted to actually wear it anywhere. Why do I own it? Because it's a size 8 and it fit.

But they have changed the sizing - Marilyn (why can't I get that to look right?) Monroe used to be considered a "perfect size 10" and that same dress would now be considered an 8 or smaller.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  7:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I agree that the more expensive clothes are usually bigger. Now, if we could just afford the ones that fit us in a size 10, or 6 or whatever! By the way, Target stores have Cherokee brand shirts that my tall, portly dh can wear in a size smaller and they come in talls. Weird thing is the same brand in women's clothes are smaller! Since it is hard to find clothes for him, anywhere, we are glad that he can actually walk in there and buy shirts. Pants are another story. It's like the reverse of larger size ladies tops...the wider you are the shorter you are supposed to be. Crazy. Well, think I better go back to knitting that tiger sock, got the heel done, ready to do the foot. BTW, Erica, I love that shade of green print...seems to really display your mood!

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2002 :  9:39:14 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
It has always amazed me that clothes do not fit the masses. I use to make my clothes as I never could find anything to fit. At the time I stood and still 5 foot 10-1/2 inches but weighed not much and anything that fit me lengthwise I could have gotten another person in the dress with me so that it fit. In those days it was easier to sew and make them except for one thing. I never felt I had a new dress, suit, coat, whatever. I had worked on it long enough--at night when I got home from work that it didn't seem new to me. If its not one thing its another. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2002 :  11:21:30 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Just a comment on Marilyn Monroe's size. When I was 18, my measurements matched hers, but I had to wear a 16........LOL

Fran

Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
Chatty Knitter

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2002 :  1:57:53 PM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
All this newbie can say is, "how true!" I don't have any patterns yet - relying on Magazines for now. I wear an XL in RTW, and would certainly wear the styles shown in the knitting mags, but they only come (barely) into a large size.

Is there an easy way to calculate the next size or two up so I could use these patterns? TIA

just sign me,
naive and clueless

Go to Top of Page

e_looped
Seriously Hooked

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2002 :  2:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit e_looped's Homepage Send e_looped a Private Message
knitkitty, my being short, I'm constantly adjusting patterns to fit me. I know people that add a few inches to a pattern on each side and then make stitch number adjustments based on the number of inches they want the sweater to be around.

erica :)

Life is like knitting sometimes it's smooth, sometimes it's bumpy and sometimes it's the ultimate frustration.
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2002 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Ericka,

Ever check out the sizes of condoms? There's not a small or average among them. The smallest size you can get is large. ROFL

Fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2002 :  4:49:04 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Knitkitty,

If you check out the sizes shown with a pattern, they are usually about 2 inches apart, so to go from a large to an extra large you would have to add 2 inches. I also check the width of the sleeves, most of them are okay without adjustment but I hate tight sleeves so I check that measurement too. There are standard sizes posted on the web. When I find them again, I'll post them.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2002 :  08:34:08 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
I posted a site under links that contains more information than I can list here including size charts.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2002 :  1:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Fran, you totally crack me up!! It's true, though - check out the marketing on any tool at the hardware store and you'll see nothing but words like "monster," "huge," "giant," "mega," you name it. Just once I'd like to see a shop vac described as "petite."

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Jane wooster
New Pal

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile Send Jane wooster a Private Message
Hi, I would just like to say that I have a number of knitting patterns from the 40's and they are very intricate, but only go up to about size 34! I am much larger than this, but the patterns are not always easy to adapt. Does anyone have an easy solution to this?
Thanks. Jane.

Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  08:41:59 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
Fran,

That site sounds perfect for me. How do I access it? I am still learning the ropes of this forum, sorry.

I was so frustrated when I looked for a pattern to knit for myself. I didn't have the confidence to adapt a smaller pattern. Maybe your site will help me.

Thanks,
Carin

Go to Top of Page

Dogs5
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  08:48:20 AM  Show Profile Send Dogs5 a Private Message
Hi
Well this fluffball is frustrated with the magazines. Yes I usually design my own stuff via eps etc but when more than half the women in this country are over size 14.....I would like to tell Vogue to
GET REAL. I was very disappointed in their last issue....they had
a section of "timeless classics"....it was an older model wearing
the items. Guess the message was it's ok to grey but not to
fluff :)
And I just got the Vogue book of vests. Same-o same-0

What I have done is purchased the Barbara Walker book Knitting from the Top Down.
You can literally try on as you knit in the round from the neckline
down.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

SaraS
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  12:02:52 PM  Show Profile Send SaraS a Private Message
I once told a friend that her drill was "cute" (it was the smallest "makita" brand that they make) - she was very offended.
Apparently, hubby spent a good long time picking it out - she
knows tools, he doesn't, and such a cherished Power Tool ought
not to be referred to with the word "cute". Pretty funny...
-- Sara

quote:

<snip> It's true, though - check out the marketing on any tool at the hardware store and you'll see nothing but words like "monster," "huge," "giant," "mega," you name it. Just once I'd like to see a shop vac described as "petite."

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  2:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I've seen "tool kits for women" in one of the various catalogs that show up unsolicited at my door... the difference (from what I could tell)???

The tools had pink handles.

Because, as we all know, all women like pink.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

SheepLass
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2002 :  2:59:41 PM  Show Profile Send SheepLass a Private Message
Fitting sweaters to real humans is a nightmare!! I'm 5'1", and a size 16 (size 14 on a thin day), but..... my size is all in my bust and hips, none of it is in my waist. I look like a linebacker if I follow instructions to the letter. Or a potato. Not good!

So I basically ignore the numbers, and work off my gauge and measuring... a LOT of measuring. My gauge rarely seems to match the suggested gauge anyway, so it saves a lot of time ;)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?