Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knitter's Journal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scarflover
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:05:04 AM  Show Profile Send scarflover a Private Message
Does anyone have any good ways/suggestions for making a scrapbook of completed projects? I am contemplating buying the Knitter's Journal at Barnes and Noble but wondered if I could do something more "my own".

I've thought of buying a black-covered art book and putting the info., yarn scraps, and photos in there in my own unique way, but it's more expensive than just buying the Journal already made up. Scrapbooks are also more money. It's probably worth it, but I thought I'd try and get some ideas from KR before I did anything.

I want to have a book of my projects that takes knitting seriously as an art form, and something very important to me. Each completed project is some kind of miracle for me, a non-completer in many areas of my life!

Lisa

lacylaine
Seriously Hooked

USA
989 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  08:49:19 AM  Show Profile Send lacylaine a Private Message
I was in the same boat you were. I've seen some wonderful scrapbooks, but have had exactly one night of experience making them. So, I bought the Knitting Journal and I'm glad I did. Yes, it could stand some improvement, but the point is, I use it. It's not another project hanging over me.

Now, when this one is used up, I may very well go the scrapbooking route. Who knows? Then again, reading your post made me realize that I haven't taken any pictures of most of my projects last year. I guess with Jeff's lay off, things were too topsy turvy. But now I'm using it again and enjoying the feeling of accomplishment.

HTH, Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  09:47:04 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I'm a Knitter's Journal convert, also. I had started on of my own, with a nice unlined journal, but I liked the set-up of the Kitter's Journal and switched. I even bought 8 more at Overstock.com!

Debra
Go to Top of Page

mbmoody
Gabber Extraordinaire

583 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  10:36:10 AM  Show Profile Send mbmoody a Private Message
I received a Knitters Journal as a Christmas present. I had previously considered setting one up using plastic sleeves that I could slip a swatch and my working copy of the pattern, with my notes, into. I'm more concerned with keeping track of the yarn I used, gauge, needle size (although I've already forgotten on many projects), than with the appearance. I wouldn't have the patience to make it look nice anyway. Still, since I received one as a gift, I'll use it.
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  11:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I've been debating it myself. I'm just not a scrapbooker, so this would be a heck of a lot easier. I was going to buy it with Christmas gift card for B&N, but they had it on sale online, and it sold out.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

mokey
Permanent Resident

15375 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  12:04:34 PM  Show Profile Send mokey a Private Message
No scrapbooks for me. I just use my digicam to take photos and keep them in a knitting folder on my computer.

Monika

"There is no beauty in the finest cloth if it makes hunger and unhappiness." Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

baskinknits@aol.com
New Pal

38 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  4:19:40 PM  Show Profile Send baskinknits@aol.com a Private Message
Glad to read and share about this topic. For the last 20 years I have been keeping a notebook, actually a photo album with slots for notes. I have photographed every project, and noted the pattern, yarn, dates, and for whom knitted (or to whom I eventually gave it to when completed). My family knows to ask whether I have photographed a project before giving it away. My album is almost full and so I am looking around for a way to continue to keep track of projects. I have seen that Knitter's Journal at Barnes and Noble. It looked like too much work for me to keep track of, and I am also one of those who is resisting the scrapbook thing. Am leaning toward continuing the photo album concept...I often receive pictures from recipients wearing my work so I need plent of room for pictures.....
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  4:38:45 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
When I first saw the Knitters Journal, I was all set to buy it. What stopped me was that it wasn't big enough. So, I still continue to use the artist notebooks with the black covers that are unlined. You can get those at B & N or art stores,etc. I don't do scrapbooking, so I find the art books work fine for me. I have never taken any pictures of any of my projects, but I write the pattern used, needle size & who it's for, along with the ball band & a piece of the yarn used in case I want to duplicate something. This works very well for me & lasts a lot longer than the Knitters Journal would. I'd have to buy the KJ in bulk!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  9:45:45 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
So far I have a big plastic 3 ring binder with patterns and pictures in plastic sleeves. I did however order the knitters journal to see how it would work out for me.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

scarflover
Chatty Knitter

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  07:56:07 AM  Show Profile Send scarflover a Private Message
Trina, I agree that the Knitter's Journal is small. I don't think it will take long to go through. I bought one anyway after seeing the posts and agreeing that as busy as I am right now, having the journal all laid out for me would help. My other idea was the same as what you do--the black-covered spiral bound artist's book at B&N for 19.00. I think I'll do that one next. We'll see how the journal works first.

I'd still love anyone's creative ideas for keeping track of their accomplishments.

Lisa
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  12:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
I love my Knitting Journal. Mine was purchased at Ross for $5 and it's a very homey (is that how you spell it?) looking blank journal, spiral bound, so that each page opens flat. I love that it opens flat. I use acid free glue and glue a picture of every project in it before I give it away. I just put the date it was knit, where I was when I knit it (so many times I'm knitting on vacation and the project helps me remember the wonderful time) and the yarn and needles used. It's very large. I've been using it for two years and it's only 1/4 full. Oh, and I leave it sitting out on little stand so I can look at it often.
Teresa
Blog: http://journals.aol.com/knit2relax/KnittingandMore/
Go to Top of Page

missknitty2shoes
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  10:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit missknitty2shoes's Homepage Send missknitty2shoes a Private Message
Since Knitter's Journal is not available at Barnes and Noble, I noticed that another handbook is coming out in March. It's got 100 blank pages. Knitting: A Handbook and Journal by Melanie Falick is available at $13.45 (pre-order price). Check it out.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  11:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Thanks, Mary, I'm going to go check it out now! How exciting! I'll preorder one if it looks nice. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  3:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Mary, I did pre-order Melanie Falick's journal. It looks wonderful. Thanks for the information!
Teresa
http://journals.aol.com/knit2relax/KnittingandMore/
Go to Top of Page

elizh
Permanent Resident

USA
1248 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  3:28:21 PM  Show Profile Send elizh a Private Message
Schoolhouse Press (Eliz Zimmerman site) has a Knitters Notebook for $6. www.schoolhousepress.com

I bought an expandable scrapbook cover at HobbyLobby and use clear sheetprotectors for pockets to hold yarn samples, ball bands, patterns, photos, notes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe