Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Aussie Knitters - Yarn Bargains!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danae
Chatty Knitter

Australia
124 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  03:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Danae's Homepage Send Danae a Private Message
Hello all fellow Aussies,
I received my Spotlight catalogue email last night, and of course went immediately to the yarn page, but all they had was "Various yarns, may vary from store to store, from $1.99". Oh yes, I thought, they're selling out the cheap acrylic again.
Well, today I was near my local spotlight store and decided to Just Have A Look.
It's not just the cheap acrylics, it's *all* the end of line stuff. I got Cleckheaton Angora Supreme for $1.99 a ball!! There was only one shade of the Angora at my local store, but at that price, I could live with that. They had end of line shades of Faux Fur, Bunyip, Miraggio, Loopy, Zest, some Country, Caressa, Torbellino, Flair, heaps of great stuff, *all* $1.99 a ball.
Hurry, girls, Hurry!!!!!

Donna, stash building

chrisknit
Chatty Knitter

Australia
279 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  1:40:41 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknit a Private Message
Bad Donna, bad,

I just might have to go and check it out, even though the cash situation is a bit dire after Christmas.
I've looked at the Cleckheaton Angora Supreme and was wondering about it, had bad luck with Cleckheaton patterns though ... maybe
Chrissy
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  3:55:35 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
Donna,
I got my Spotlight catalogue and thought the same thing as you, so I was thinking I could save myself some money as I'm in the same situation as Chrissy.
I got my Lincraft catalogue the other day to find they were having a sale of European yarns starting from 89c (that is acrylic) but I picked up some beautiful mohair for $2.99 a ball; so it is worth going to Lincraft if you have one near you.

Happy Knitting,
Tam
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  5:52:11 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
OMG Donna - I got my Spotlight catalogue earlier in the week and thought the same - about the acrylics......

Well I know where I am going this arvo - right after I pick up my new bike Talk about getting spoilt today.

Diana
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  11:46:21 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
OK everyone - don't go to the Moorabbin Spotlight unless you want:

Pink Angora supreme
Mustard yellow Faux Fur
Aqua and lilac Bunyip
Acrylic sparkly purple or aqua or silver
and basically other dregs (the angora is OK if you can tolerate it - the fluffy bits get in my contact lenses)

There was no Loopy, Country, Miraggio etc on sale. Sob, sob.

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Danae
Chatty Knitter

Australia
124 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  02:43:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Danae's Homepage Send Danae a Private Message
I know
I was in Campbelltown yesterday and got the bargains, went to Liverpool today, and they had hardly anything
I think I might pop back to Campbelltown tomorrow just to see what's left. Just for interest's sake, you know. I might just grab a ball or two of *something* though
I'm miles from a Lincraft, unfortunately.
Donna
UFO Queen
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  03:50:49 AM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
I'll try Mill Park or Malvern tomorrow.

Happy Knitting,
Tam
Go to Top of Page

susnp25
Chatty Knitter

Australia
346 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  11:08:11 PM  Show Profile Send susnp25 a Private Message
Surely there can't be only me in Adelaide that knits but when I went to the Myer Centre today where both Lincraft and Spotlight are only a floor apart in adjoining buildings, there were plenty of colours in most yarns on special. I was amazed no one was looking at all and I could have just said wrap it all up and come home with a yarn shop of my own, there was so much that in the end I bought nothing! Yes nothing! I kept thinking I'll have that and that and that but commonsense prevailed and I have come home to think about what I want first. Lincraft had a Schoeller esslinger (sp?) MIKADO in variegated colours that looks beautiful but I hate big needles and it needed 10mm so as much as I loved it I didn't buy. They also had lots of other yarns that were very nice but I would have needed to have won the X-Lotto last night to get it all. I really need to be strong as we leave for the States in about 9 weeks time and I want to buy yarn over there and touch and feel every yarn I can so I know which ones I like when I get back and can take advantage of the sales. I can't believe I didn't buy anything although I did carry around pink and lilac Angora in 2 10 packs for a while Susan.
Go to Top of Page

diana.enky
Permanent Resident

Australia
1092 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  8:05:11 PM  Show Profile Send diana.enky a Private Message
Hi Susan,

I have also got some incredible bargains at Lincraft in Melbourne - Southland store on the imported yarns back in September I think. My greatest buy was the Schoeller Stahl Granda - a pure wool that knits up beautifully on 5.5mm needles and it cost me the grand sum of 99c a ball (less my 10% licraft discount). Boy was I pleased with myself that day.

My theory is that some knitters may avoid these yarns because there are no patterns for them in the store - but that NEVER stops me from stash-building.

Diana
Go to Top of Page

Tam
Permanent Resident

Australia
2810 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  11:15:26 PM  Show Profile Send Tam a Private Message
If anyone lives near Brunswick Spotlight, don't bother, they don't have anything left.

Happy Knitting,
Tam
Go to Top of Page

chrisknit
Chatty Knitter

Australia
279 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  12:18:31 AM  Show Profile Send chrisknit a Private Message
I would have tried either Brunswick or Box Hill, but the money isn't there anyway.
I'm kicking myself that last year in Lincraft I saw Schoeller Stahl Light (I think it's called) and didn't get it. It was pretty cheap and I've seen a few people on the forum have used it for the Einstein coat and liked it. Oh well, I'll keep looking this year, and if I see something and I like it, I'm going to try to get it.
Chrissy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?