Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 MD Sheep & Wool
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  2:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Just wanted to see who was planning on attending (first weekend in May) and see if we could make plans to meet up - maybe even do lunch or dinner?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  2:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
count me in. I have $40 in my "spend it like a man" jar.

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  3:54:59 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Don't know what "MD Sheep & Wool" is but I can't make it as I shall be in Las Vegas that weekend. Perhaps I'll win this time. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  8:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Hi Bev,

Aaaaaah, RoseByAny is talking about the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival. You can find details at the festival Web site, http://www.sheepandwool.org, or look at my festival report / photo album from last year's show, at
http://knittersreview.com/article.asp?article=/review/profile/010510_a_blurb.asp

The festival takes place May 4th and 5th at the Howard County Fairgrounds in West Friendship, Maryland, which is approximately an hour west ("ish" - I'm talking as a tourist here...) of Baltimore.

It's simply an amazing event for anybody who loves fiber. Imagine being surrounded by like-minded fiber maniacs and never feeling like you need to make excuses for the extra bag of yarn you're lugging around. And best of all, the festival is FREE to the public!

If you are anywhere in the vicinity of Maryland, I strongly encourage you to experience the festival at least once in your life.

I think my favorite part about last year's show: Listening to all the lost children and husband announcements over the PR system. Only this festival could get a mother so absorbed that she forgets her kids!

It's a bit of a trek from Maine (where, as BessH mentioned, the sun sets at 2pm - only in the dead of winter, and it's 3pm thank you very much!), but I'm hoping to be there too. As soon as I get the plane ticket squared away, I'll sign on the dotted line for any and all get-togethers!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  8:39:27 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
I'll be there with you in spirit.It sounds wonderful. I'd love to hear all about it and what you saw.More importantly I want to know what you bought.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  9:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
I want to be there, too! Anyway, I'll be there in spirit, too. Sounds wonderful! I want to know what you bought, too! Barb I wonder if there is anything like that on this side of the country?? (southwest)

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  04:13:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Marjorie - I'll report too and tell you what I bought. I have a jar on top of the refrigerator where I put whatever change I have in my purse - it's my yarnjar. I plan to empty it for the show.

And if there are any such festivals in New Zealand, please tell us all about them.

BessH in VA where the sun rises at 5 a.m. and where I can drive up to Maryland and back in a day.

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  05:01:45 AM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Hello BessH
The only show that I can think of off hand is what we call the Aand P show(agricultural and pastural)which is in November on Show weekend. Its not centred around sheep though but around everything to do with farming.I,m pretty sure that you cant buy fleeces or wools there.Its a great day out for the whole family as there is such a lot to see and do.There is alot of farm machinery,animals,stalls,side shows and a grand parade where all the proud owners get to show off their animals.
I went to Clara's web site to find about where you are all going to in May and it sounds like heaven.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

Knitgirl
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  07:42:47 AM  Show Profile Send Knitgirl a Private Message
Hi Everyone!
Yes I am planning on going. Someone I met last summer on vacation told me about it. (She was from WVA, with sheep I believe and a knitter.) So I have had this on my calendar since that time! I just printed the schedule for the two days. Can any of you experience MSW festival goers make any recomendations as must sees etc.????

It would be great fun to meet as well. Lauren

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2002 :  11:12:33 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hello to my fellow knitters and "Sheep & Wool Festival" attendees. I am still trying to get my DH to go with me, so he can visit his brother who lives a short distance away. Is the fair located near Oxford, MD or is it further down near Baltimore or Annapolis? Just wondering if I have the location anywhere near right in my minds eye?

I would love to attend and meet all of my buddies face to face.....just think of the damage we could do to the yarn supply from all those venders. So, as of now, I would say it's looking good from this end!

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  09:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm volunteering to be the "touchstone" for all of the FOCs (Friends of Clara ) at the festival, since I already know what I'll be wearing - a purple Knit-Out & Crochet, Too! on the National Mall t-hirt (which will be for sale as a fundraiser for the event at only $15! [no, not the one I'm wearing, we'll have stacks of them....]) I'll be the short pudgy one with the long, wild, curly red hair. So PLEASE come find me!!! Clara, if you don't introduce yourself I'll be a wounded puppy - imagine, my hero is there and I don't get to meet her! Unthinkable!

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  1:55:32 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
We're planning on going to the MD Sheep and Wool Festival on the Saturday of that weekend. My daughter and husband found a lot to enjoy besides drooling over the yarn (imagine that). I'm planning on knitting up our little "mascot" pin, a 5" scarf and will wear it as I look for other knittersreview folks. Lissa has offered to be our touchstone because of her colorful t-shirt and hair, so we can get together through her.

Maybe we can discuss the vacation idea a little more, too.

Looking forward to meeting all my fellow-knitters at the MD S&W Festival,
Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  5:33:04 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Clara:

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like fun but somewhat distant from California. Also sounds like those California State Fairs as well as county fairs I attended as a kid. The always seemed to be in the "valley" (Sacramento and/or San Joaquin Valley) in the middle of summer when it hits 105+ for days running. I shall be in Las Vegas hoping to win a few bucks on the slots to buy more wool. It does sound like fun though. As a "big city girl" (native born San Franciscan whose father was born on Telegraph Hill) it was a change getting in the country to see how the other half lives. We really enjoyed it, or at least I did.

This has to be the best web site I have seen. You can really tell that you, Clara put in a lot of work and are a consumate professional.

Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  5:35:37 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Marjorie: You are even farther away than me. I shall be in touch soon. Please check your E-mail. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2002 :  7:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Thank you Bev!

And by the way, you West Coasters have your own choice of great shows:

The California Wool and Fiber Festival on May 25-26 in Booneville (the URL is: http://www.fiberfestival.com)

and then the Black Sheep Gathering in Eugene, Oregon from June 21-23 (the URL is: http://www.blacksheepgathering.org)

I expect a full report!

Clara
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  8:02:07 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Clara: Did you know they have their own language in Booneville? They also at one time had an "upscale Yuppie restaurant" where if you went there from San Francisco, and I don't know why you would unless you were spending the weekend as it is about a five hour ride if you are lucky, and had a room and dinner reservation--dinner at 6:30 PM, perhaps they not only had NOT saved the room they couldn't find your dinner reservation but "we can always seat you at 10 with limited menu." The locals thought the city folks got what they deserved and perhaps they did, or perhaps in good faith they thought they thought they would give them a shot. Well, they filed for bankruptcy and fled to France and the last I heard are doing the same thing there they did here. Isn't that a shame.

Thank you so much Clara for keeping me in touch with things going on round and about here as well as other places. Do you know about the Stitches programs. I took BART to Oakland and it was wonderful. Two ladies who live in this building are knitters. Anne, like me has been knitting for a long time--Joan who lives just below me is taking lessong at the Community College classes just down the street and I help her out when she would like a little one-on-one and we all know how that is.

Sorry to have rambled on Clara. Take care. Best wishes from San Francisco. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  8:06:59 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, BessH: Does "spend it like a man" mean you don't leave a tip? I am a person who no one would look at twice but because I am a woman and leave great tips I always get the best service in the world. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  03:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Nah, Bev, It just means you use bills to pay for stuff and don't try to count out exact change. I always tipped like a man, at lest, I always round up to the next dollar. My girlfriend who waitressed for years said women are almost always better tippers.

And I am saving all that spend it like a man money to use at Md. sheep & Wool, but after that Ill begin filling the jar to spend at stitches east.

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  5:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Gee, and all this time I thought "spend it like a man" meant blow your bucks with reckless abandon! (Which, by the way, is exactly what I also plan to do at the show.)

Bev, thanks for the tale about the Booneville restaurant. That doesn't surprise me! Tsk tsk...

And Lissa, you'll easily be able to spot me. I'll be the one selling the "Knit In & DON'T Crochet" T-shirts for $14.99 directly across from you. Just kidding, though that would be rather funny...

And to all those who can't make it to the Maryland show, don't fret - we know you'll be there in spirit! And there are many, many more shows to go.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  9:20:48 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Got into this by mistake. I am on the West Coast and I know you think we all wear buckskins with fringe and ride horses but we don't. To be flat out honest I would not get within 50 yards of a horse--thay have all those teeth and bite. Had a friend bitten around the waist when she was about 12 or 13 years old. Also, thanks to Clara I know about this outing. Sounds like fun to me. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I wanted to let you know that the festival booklets were mailed and that mine arrived last Thursday. There are more activities planned for kids, more felting and Mayan weavers from Guatemala. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone who shows up on Saturday, May 4.

I also wanted to let you know that EarthGuild is starting their big catalog sale on April 15. I get my natural dyes from them and the discount is about 15%. They have a wonderful catalog for all kinds of needlework, weaving, spinning, dyeing, etc.

As for spending it like a man. I checked with my husband on this and he said that there were guys at work who carried rolls of bills. They pull out the roll and peel of bills when they need to pay for lunch, etc. He knew exactly what the term meant.

Men are from Mars.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?