Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Forum Feedback and Suggestion Box
 Help with yarn substitution
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Emaruottolo
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  09:50:47 AM  Show Profile Send Emaruottolo a Private Message
When following an older pattern, most of the times the recommended yarn is no longer available. A forum that addresses this would be most helpful.
Thanks,
Elisa

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  10:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
[purple]Generally, you can substitute any yarn that is of the same material and the same weight. The pattern should tell you (under "gauge" or "tension" how many stitches per inch at a particular needle size is required. You can then compare that information to yarn lables to get a substitute. If you're lucky, the pattern will also tell you how many yards of yarn you need, which will tell you how much of your substitute yarn to buy. You don't want to simply buy the same # of skeins - yarn skeins vary hugely in yardage - from merely 50 yards to more than 200 - so your yardage is the key.

THe reason I noted "same material" is that not all materials work the same. For instance, cotton has no "give", whereas wool and acrylic are more stretchy.

I find that the research I do to find substitute yarn is really fun, and I discover wonderful yarns I never knew existed that way. Have fun!

Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2002 :  7:10:51 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Elisa:

Try Vintageknits.com. Its kind of a kick of a place that has old patterns (talk about old patterns when my Auntie Leashie died my Uncle Bill gave me not only all of her knitting needles and crochet hooks--some bone, knitting books galore.) Let me know I just might have the pattern, but then I would have to find it. I am getting my act together, NOW, well, sort of. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?