Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 Knitting Vacations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  08:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Rebeccca, I would definately trek down to NC for a knit weekend!

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  11:14:14 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Lissa, et al.,
I have queried schoolmama about her mom's NC properties and will let you know what the information is if she replies to me. Usually people rent out for a week at a time so just a weekend may not work for them.

We may just have to pick a place and all who are interested meet there for the weekend. Your enthusiasm is great!

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  2:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'll do a little searching... I seem to think I know someone who owns a B&B near here... and maybe Paul at the Knitty Gritty can offer suggestions, too.

I'll see what I can find out, and get back to you! Are we looking at those of us in DC, PA, VA, MD and DE? How many people would that be? 8? 10?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

GerriClemens
New Pal

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2002 :  7:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit GerriClemens's Homepage Send GerriClemens a Private Message
I would love to join for a knitting weekend. Possibly a little spinning to?. I joined Handweavers Guild a few years ago but no way can I afford Convergence at todays prices. I think I'd be happier with a day trip and there are so many options out there.

CricketGlenn
Gerri Gregory
Go to Top of Page

Shysmommy
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  08:48:44 AM  Show Profile Send Shysmommy a Private Message
Hi I live on an island off the coast of Maine and it really is beautiful in the Spring and fall, it gets REALLY overpopulated in the summer though. I could find a bed and breakfast for you to stay in and there is a wonderful lady on island that has a sheep farm and runs a yarn shop. Just a suggestion, if you want a get away (and I mean a real getaway) For those of you who have requested it yes we do have power and running water.....(people always ask that when they find out that we only have 300 year round residents on island. Wel that's my suggestion take it or leave it!!! I would love to meet some of you!!!

Friends Welcome
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  09:16:16 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I have heard from schoolmama and she is checking with her mom about NC properties. For a weekend get together, it would seem that we have to go with the folks from VA, Delaware, MD, D.C. and maybe the Carolinas.

That island up in Maine sounds great but we would need to plan for that as a week long vacation at least. Just like Clara's Italy getaway!

Maybe we can plan to get together and meet at the MD Sheep and Wool Festival in May. That might be a good way to get to know each other.

Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and taken this idea seriously.

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2002 :  10:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Great idea, Rebecca! I have volunteered to be the "locator beam" at MDS&W, 'cause I already know what I'll be wearing - a purple Knit-Out & Crochet, Too! t-shirt. There will be others wearing them (and you can buy them there to support this wonderful free, non-profit event!), but I'll probably be the only one with waist-length curly red hair! All of my KRF friends (and that's ALL of you!), come find me, and well get together!

Go to Top of Page

Shysmommy
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2002 :  08:44:33 AM  Show Profile Send Shysmommy a Private Message
Believe me a weekend will be long enough........ there isn't that much to see.........but plenty of time to knit!!!!! And the people here are really wonderful....

Friends Welcome
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hey, you all. I got an e-mail from Rebecca, and finally looked up this forum. I would love to invite people to go to my step-mother's place in N.C. but I do need to ask her about it's availability, which I will do before I get up from my chair, via e-mail.. I live closer to the west coast, but I miss the east, and I do have a southwest airlines frequent flyer ticket(roundtrip), so maybe I can get it away from dh??? My sister and brother live in Va. and N.C., and I love the area, Brevard, N.C. There are Blue Ridge mountains in plain sight, all around. Maybe I could get sis and brother to come see me, too! They better! Will let you all know, ASAP! Barb

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  12:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
There, I sent her a message about the houses. She should be answering back soon! I'm all packed and ready to go, LOL! Barb

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2002 :  1:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
BooHoo! All her houses are rented right now on one year leases, so no luck. Besides, they are all unfurnished, not my idea of a fun time! Oh well, I have asked her to let me know who her realtor is. Maybe, she could find something. Later, Barb

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  2:43:27 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
Dear Barb: Thanks for trying!!!
It sounds like she has residential property, not vacation properties. You are definitely welcome to join us where ever we end up.

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2002 :  7:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Thanks, I would love to if I can. My stepmother considered doing the properties as vacation rentals, but her realtor said it wasn't worthwhile. I think maybe it was too much trouble for her. I did get an email with the realtors phone # though. Barb

Go to Top of Page

Sky
Chatty Knitter

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2002 :  12:20:46 PM  Show Profile Send Sky a Private Message
Hi there, I'm a new subscriber and I've been lurking while you discuss knitting vacations. For a while now I have been considering organizing textile oriented tours of Toronto (where I live). We have a very dynamic knitting guild, some professional designers who reside here (just finished a 6 week course with Fiona Ellis myself), a Museum of Textiles, some great yarn boutiques with upscale yarns for shopping, and the Creative Needlecraft Festival twice a year (North America's largest I believe). Toronto itself is a great city, safe and clean, about an hour and a half from Niagara Falls. What I would envisage is visiting and shopping by day, workshops by night with mini-lectures or show and tell over meal times. Given the current strength of the US Dollar relative to the Canadian, I bet it would be quite affordable.

I guess I am doing some very unscientific market research here. Would you folks be interested in such an outing? Assuming a 3 day itinerary (Friday night, all day Sat, and Sun until late afternoon) what would you be willing to pay? (Exclusive of transporation to Toronto, meals and of course yarn bingeing, but inclusive of hotels and all activities). Quote in US Dollars and I'll do the math.

I'm curious if this business idea is a sound one, -- I know its a fun one ! Thanks for any in-put.

Go to Top of Page

Shelia
Permanent Resident

USA
2356 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2002 :  3:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shelia's Homepage Send Shelia a Private Message
I know for me anything over $200-$250 for a weekend begins to seem very expensive. I do, though, generally have a private room to myself when I go to seminars or workshops, so I would think the cost should be adjustable if people wanted to share a double or triple room.

Also, some free time is usually appreciated, even if it's only an hour or two here or there. Toronto is a great place to visit, and some time to explore on one's own would be nice.

Just a couple of thoughts-

Shelia

Go to Top of Page

Theresa
Chatty Knitter

Norway
224 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  04:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Theresa's Homepage Send Theresa a Private Message
I <sob> want to participate! Alas, I'm just too far away. But we are planning a trip to Franklin, N.C. (where my folks live) sometime soon and maybe I can get it to coincide with the Camp Stitches, which is in Lake Junaluska, about halfway between Asheville and Franklin! (that's about 30 minutes from each) I don't, however, think I could take off and stay somewhere for the weekend, for a number of reasons... (not least of which is that I wouldn't leave Sigurd to fend for himself with my parents for a weekend...) does that sort of event have any opportunities for people to come to during the day without buying the whole stay for the weekend package? It doesn't look like it from the website : http://www.knittinguniverse.com/events/events.taf but anybody know for sure?

Theresa
http://bagatell.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  05:41:23 AM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I would be interested in a knitting vacation in Toronto during the summer months. Living in Virginia means that I would have to drive for a day and a day back or do the train. If you work with a travel agency for a group you may be able to get us a better airfare if there's at least 6 participants.

Would the guild members be able to put people up? That might make it more cost effective. Is public transportation available to the museums that you mentioned? I know that the exchange rate for the US$ would help us with other expenses.

Toronto is a wonderful city. Thank you for broadening our options!

Rebecca

Go to Top of Page

Sky
Chatty Knitter

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  07:55:32 AM  Show Profile Send Sky a Private Message
Thanks for the quick feedback. Assuming $250 US as a benchmark, accomodation is a big stumbling block. Hotel rates here are comparable to most big cities in the States. But, we do have B&Bs, or perhaps the University of Toronto residences. Not fancy but very centrally located and convenient for public transit. Give me a few days to make some phone calls to see what rates would be like.

Another option might be to combine with the Kitchener-Waterloo guild knit fest in late September. These are smaller cities with a rural flair (large Mennonite community nearby) and costs are typically cheaper. Dates are last week-end in September. Location about 2 hours from Toronto by car. Could turn the one day festival into a week-end by adding some workshops etc.

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  6:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Here is a place in VA - perhaps just under 2 hours outside of D.C. where I will be at a gathering of about 60 people in 2 weeks. Since this place includes meals with the room, (huge enormous farm style meals) the prices are reasonable. There is a large common room where we could gather to knit, or have a lecture or share projects/techniques, etc. Not a kitchen set up if we wanted to dye, but certainly big enough if we wanted to try our hands at spinning. there are beautiful views from the rockingchair sprinkled porches. No public transportation - this is in the country. No LSY nearby, but there is Carodan Farm Wool Shop about 45 minutes away by drive (probably only 30 miles but they are twisty turny country miles). I haven't been to carodan, though I get their email news letter and plan on visiting one of these days. maybe even in 2 weeks.

Anyway, check out these places and see if they are appealing. Even hungry husbands who like to fish might enjoy coming along.

http://www.carodanfarm.com/

http://www.gravesmountain.com/lodging.htm

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  6:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Oh I forgot - without a doubt the best apple butter I ever tasted. They are an apple orchard as well as a lodge.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?