Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Yarn Talk
 Talk about yarns reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Swans Island Merino

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Clara Posted - 11/04/2009 : 7:26:38 PM
We stay close to home this week...

A certain mythology exists around Swans Island Blankets. They are lovingly handwoven mostly from the fleeces of Maine-raised Corriedale sheep. The Rare Wool blankets are woven from the coats of sheep that spend their winters all alone, untended, on a small outcropping called Nash Island.

The fleeces are sorted and sent to Vermont's Green Mountain Spinnery for a gentle, eco-friendly processing and spinning before returning to Northport, Maine, where they are dyed using organic materials and then woven by hand into exquisite blankets that last a lifetime and retail for as much as $1,350 apiece.

Hold on, hold on, it gets better! A while back they added Merino to their offerings, and they've just begun offering this same succulent, spun-and-dyed-in-Maine Merino in handknitting yarn format. And that's what I review.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
NutmegOwl Posted - 08/04/2013 : 9:28:27 PM
I don't know about Eco Wash, but I will warn that in their other yarn, any colorway containing indigo may crock ridiculously on your hands, clothing and anything it comes into contact with. I have the fingering weight in charcoal OTN in a shawl and I have to wear a cast-off shirt of my husband's because there is so much transference to my lap, fingers and everything else. These days they mark the skeins with a warning label, but caveat emptor. It has marred an otherwise pleasant experience. My fingers are black every time I work with it.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
Sharon Posted - 06/29/2013 : 11:47:29 AM
It's a DK weight. That's sad to hear that it pilled so badly. I was going to use this for a baby sweater instead of Debbie Bliss Rialto, which is reported to pill badly also. Yes, it is a new yarn.
Catlover Posted - 06/29/2013 : 10:43:22 AM
Is this a newer form of Swan's Island yarn? I have some I bought a year or two ago and made a sweater. It's a lovely color and soft, but it pills badly. I so wanted the yarn but have been disappointed in the sweater because it looked so old and worn after three wearings. Does anyone know?
Sharon Posted - 06/29/2013 : 08:28:21 AM
I am reviving this topic to find out if anyone knows of a LYS that will be carrying the new Swans Island Eco-Wash? I asked Swans Island on their Facebook page and they said they sent it out to the LYS and I should check with them. Anyone know if they will be getting it in their area?
Sharon
Lisbeth Posted - 11/07/2009 : 11:06:42 AM
I was in Heavenly Socks (http://www.heavenlysocksyarns.com/)in Belfast, ME earlier in the week and she does carry the Swan's Island yarn. The colors are beautiful. If you figure out what you want, I imagine Helen may be able to help out.
okate2@earthlink.net Posted - 11/05/2009 : 09:42:59 AM
Thanks for including information about the guage and about pricing on natural dyes. Once again, useful tips. I really want to try that fingering.
carolbeech Posted - 11/05/2009 : 08:19:14 AM
Good to know - the yarn looks delicious!

www.carolbeech.blogspot.com
simpleknitter Posted - 11/05/2009 : 07:56:04 AM
I agree. to try a skein and pay 15 dollars shipping. nyah...
kellienuss@byu.net Posted - 11/05/2009 : 05:42:13 AM
Just a head's up that on the Swan's Island website, shipping starts at a flat rate of 15 dollars for up to three skeins of yarn. So, if you are ordering just one skein directly from them, the total price is 45.00. Halcyon shipping started at 6.95 for one skein. In addition, at Halcyon, this yarn is quantity discountable.
frenetic@charter.net Posted - 11/05/2009 : 04:25:54 AM
I got an email yesterday stating that Elegant Ewe in Concord NH is carrying their worsted weight yarn, but I could not find it on their web site (no affiliation). I'm anxious to try it!
Sharon

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe