Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Desert Island Stash
 Desert Island Stash, revisited

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cena Posted - 01/09/2008 : 11:42:57 PM
1. book: a nice big stitch library.
2. needles: bryspun, 2 sets 2mm dpns, and some 5mm and 8mm straight needles.
3. forget yarn, I want a drop spindle about 40 grams bottom-whorl, about a 2 inch whorl and maybe a 9 inch thin shaft, and an unlimited supply of silk, shetland, and alpaca fiber, a set of hand cards, and a sturdy hair comb.

Oh, and a teapot and cup and a stash of some nice darjeeling and honey.

And a pocketknife and a lighter. Daddy always said to make sure you had fire and steel.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dschmidt Posted - 08/27/2008 : 3:05:09 PM
OK, those edits make it clear that you are not talking about yourself as a shark but rather referring to others. You've been asked repeatedly to treat others with respect and sniping without naming names does not make a posting respectful. You can refer others to previous locked threads but those threads were locked because they were not living up to the KR standard. IMHO, that means that everyone should move on and let it go, not continue to bring it up, as if you were an innocent who has been picked upon.

The Honor Roll? It's easier here than in school. Scroll up and join today.
Donna in VA
marfa Posted - 08/27/2008 : 1:52:58 PM
How do.

BeeDee, I have to nod to Lanea's post - I can't really see any shark fins here re your posts & it is challenging to see the KR Forum community judged like that.

You mentioned that there are circumstances that limit your online use in relation to a blog but I wonder how that would be any different from your writings here - you seem to have frequent KR posts & a blog can be as frequent or random as you choose it to be.

Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
Lanea Posted - 08/27/2008 : 05:14:32 AM
Beedee, please stop attacking people on this forum. There are no shark fins circling, and the mere implication is an insult to the whole KR community. If you have a problem with me or some other individuals on KR, act like an adult and address it directly and privately.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://www.crazylanea.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Buy handmade sock knitting bags: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5031570
Buy monkey-based political humor: http://www.cafepress.com/monkeyshimes
Tranny Posted - 08/26/2008 : 4:41:28 PM
Thanks so much for the explanation! For a minute I thought you were calling Shelia a troll, but now I understand that you were actually referring to your own posts. Thanks for the great laugh today, I sure needed it!
Sara Sue Posted - 08/26/2008 : 3:58:24 PM
OK - I went back and read Shelia's posts and I don't see anything in them that deserves the "shark fins trolling the lagoon" remark. But you answered my question and I thank you. If you wish to continue this discussion, let's do it in PM. Thanks.
beedee Posted - 08/26/2008 : 2:57:07 PM
Yes Sara, you missed something. Shelia is a wonderfully gracious person. Her suggestion is a very sensible one. For various financial and technical reasons, a blog is not an option for me.

Apparently my reminiscences are just too tedious for further words. That's OK. I don't need an audience to enjoy my memories. Enjoy the Fall, everyone. That's Fall, as in falling leaves, blustery winds, and Octoberfests. Time to stick to my knitting!

Sara Sue Posted - 08/26/2008 : 1:30:45 PM
Are you referring to Shelia's suggestion about a blog in a negative light with reference to the shark fins? I thought it sounded like a good idea to me. You obviously like to write and I thought she felt like your interesting life and posts would make good reading on a blog. Did I miss something?
beedee Posted - 08/26/2008 : 1:19:05 PM
Well, that was a nice note from Shelia. I'm not too sure how to go about evacuating this island. Oh! I see a sail! No, that's no sail! That's my old friend Cecil (The Seasick Sea Serpent)! 'bye, desert island -- hello Honalee! (Cecil and Puff are good friends of mine!)
beedee Posted - 08/26/2008 : 09:18:40 AM
Shelia, thank you for your very kind and thoughtful suggestion! I have just about finished my reminiscences. I don't plan on doing much more on KR forums except to occasionally contribute a response to a query, here and there, or visit the OT personal/health/family etc. forum. It was never about accumulating gold stars. Is there any way the "post counter" can be reset to zero (or at least stuck)? Again, thank you! See you around the forums!
Shelia Posted - 08/26/2008 : 08:44:54 AM
beedee, you have certainly had many different types of experiences in your life, and enjoy sharing them.

Have you thought about starting a blog? It would give you a format that would be ideally suited to sharing your crafting and life experiences, without trying to fit the stories into specific forum or topics tat have a different focus.

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
beedee Posted - 08/24/2008 : 3:36:30 PM
Let's see, where was I? Oh yeah, cotton baling yarn for a knotted lamp shade. At that time I had not yet made the acquaintance of some of the shrimp skeiners. To make a long yarn short, I was gifted a netting shuttle and my friend taught me how to knet.

Several months later, I visited Club Med Martinique. I took my very small wardrobe with me in the oversize knetted string bag. On my third or fourth day on the island, I decided to walk the beach into town, rather than the road.

I met a fisherman who had just hauled his boat (brightly painted in "Caribbean" colors) to shore. I nodded "bon jour", as did he. He looked questioningly at my string bag. I indicated that I had made it. He grinned and held up his net that he had been mending. I indicated that I didn't have my shuttle (by drawing its shape in the sand). So I mimed the movements of the shuttle through its passage and the resulting knotted mesh. A very bright memory of a friendly exchange of crafting techniques. It contrasted greatly with the rather dreary Club Med experience.
dschmidt Posted - 08/21/2008 : 4:46:37 PM
Just a reminder that bandwidth is not free.

Donna in VA
knottyknitter Posted - 08/21/2008 : 05:27:30 AM
Maybe she's remembering a different kind of "stash"! Yah, I'm a bit confused too.

http://www.virtualknitter.com
My NEW blog
Shelia Posted - 08/20/2008 : 11:16:39 PM
I'm confused, beedee, what in the last few posts is about your Desert Island stash?

Shelia
www.letstalkstash.blogspot.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
beedee Posted - 08/20/2008 : 5:50:49 PM
Key West Florida in the early '70s. Cotton string used for "baling" piles of magazines. Hmmm, what to do with all that fiber? I had a bare light bulb suspended from the 12-foot ceiling. I macramed (macrame was really big in the 70's) a chandelier-style lampshade which broke the hard glare into very interesting patterns that moved through the double doors of the old store front that I called "home".
beedee Posted - 08/19/2008 : 09:40:32 AM
Woke up this morning remembering a fiber-growing friend on another set of islands. The Falkland Islands. I have books one and two of her "Diary of a Farmer's Wife".

Rosemary and her husband raise some 2,000+ sheep. Her husband (The Boss) "raises" windmills. I believe it is now winter in their part of the world.

So, if you should be "lurking" in any of the KR forums, Rosemary, I wish you a good morning; and hope you finally got your central heating!

beedee Posted - 08/18/2008 : 09:12:06 AM
Ahhhh. Ommmmmmmmmmm. Blessed retreat. Spring water from our own spring "back home". Wine coolers for those who need a slightly more effervescent refresher. Blessed shade -- handspun and knitted up by myself while meditating (think Mandala). Handknitted or woven by myself while recalling the dances I've learned from just about all over the world: Hula, Tamure, Syrto, Kolo (Balkan/Serbo-Croatian, Greek, Macedonian, Turkish, Armenian, Anatolian.....). Remembering friends and dance partners who are now gone (Ashkenaz in Berkeley, The Mandala in San Francisco). Here, on this now not-so-deserted island - peace.
beedee Posted - 08/14/2008 : 09:44:53 AM
Oooh, I need those hammocks more than ever! Just remind me NOT to bring my hemp fiber and spindles so we can share the spinning chores.

Mindy, I understand you've recently taken up spindling. Do I need to bring my Joy wheel? We've got to get those hammocks swinging in the breeze, one way or another! Run up the signal flags, if it's a "go"!

BTW: The hemp ROVING was a legitimate trade during one of our spinning guild meetings (swap-meet). It was a big bag of really bristly stuff. I guess I could find time, here on the island, to spin some shade-cloth or sumpin' like that.
MindyO Posted - 06/02/2008 : 09:06:59 AM
Good thinking! If we ever go on a yarn cruise, we must all coordinate before and make sure we have a bit of everything, just in case the ship goes down. Then we can have a desert island swap! But either way cotton is a must, we need those hammocks!

My Flickr pics
TeenKnitter Posted - 06/02/2008 : 05:15:07 AM
I'd bring Lily Sugar and Cream, in lots of colours - and probably size 6mm needles.

Are we all stranded on the island together? In that case we'd better all bring something different so that we can share!

Annie
"If at first you don't suceed, failure may be your style" Quentin Crisp

Please check out my blog!

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.51 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe