Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Sock Forum
 A Tale of Mice and Socks

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eldergirl Posted - 09/24/2013 : 10:54:19 AM
Two years ago I started a new pair of socks, in a lovely tonal honey/toast hand dyed merino. I got it at my local LYS because it called to me. I got one sock completed, and got the second one well down past the heel.
Then bad stuff happened to my husband, and my computer crashed, our phone company dropped all of its ordinary customers, and my life crashed, too. So the poor socks sat in their plastic zipper bag on the end of my couch for months. The winter months, when mice find their way to the inside and do their mischief.
When I was a little better, and my husband was more stable, I took the socks out of the bag, and despaired to find the socks eaten in chunks. Again, I was devastated. Socks went back into the bag, and I kept dithering whether to salvage what yarn I could, or throw them out, or rip up to past the holes, and complete them. Big dilemma! .
SO. This spring I decided I would not be defeated by mere mice, (and I was feeling better then), so I began the ripping process, and completed the first sock. I am working now on the second sock, and I will complete it in a week or two (I may have to find a bit of yarn to finish it---the mice may have eaten too much!
I have been in some dark places over the last few years: first our son passed away in 2009, and then my husband promptly became quite ill. He suffered from several problems, which made it even harder for me. (Alzheimer's being one of the complaints.) So the anticipated victory over the mice and the socks will be a very great star in my crown! When it happens, you will hear about it!

Best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mshark Posted - 09/30/2013 : 1:23:34 PM
Anna. -- your perseverance is inspiring. Thanks for sharing, and I'll bet those socks will have super powers when you finally get them on your feet!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

eldergirl Posted - 09/29/2013 : 5:33:21 PM
I am persevering! I've turned the heel, gotten the decreases done , and am heading down the plain foot bit! But the yarn supply is getting low, so I am trolling my stash for some that will look OK.

Thanks for all the nice posts!

Anna

Life is beautiful.
susan14_23 Posted - 09/27/2013 : 12:54:36 PM
Yes, life is beautiful despite all the hiccups. I hope the you have enough yarn for the socks =).

Susan
Ceil Posted - 09/26/2013 : 10:24:41 AM
A couple years ago, I did my first Kool-Aid dye job on my own handspun yarn that had been moth-eaten. I decided I had nothing to lose by dyeing yarn that was already ruined, but lo and behold, there was enough yarn to knit a nifty pair of fingerless gloves. They are great! Persevere, Anna!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
lsparkman Posted - 09/26/2013 : 10:08:55 AM
I did have a little blup this past week. Not very noteworthy, but I purchased two colors of shine from Knit Picks to knit a few washcloths. I did one of each color without a hitch. Then, I didn't have enough of either color to complete a third cloth, so, I switched colors mid-way and have a two-toner. Not my favorite, but it was better than any alternative I could come up with.

lsparkman
jtamsn Posted - 09/25/2013 : 3:45:25 PM
Anna, glad you are doing better, had missed you on the forum. I think you could proudly proclaim the title of a new classic "Of Mice and Knitter".
judy
EmEm Posted - 09/24/2013 : 6:42:57 PM
Glad you are feeling well enough to finish your socks. Life can sure send us some pretty high hurdles. Your story is very inspiring to me and I will remember it when I see a lot of hurdles in front of me.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe