Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 BUTTON BANDS/Debbie Bliss skinny rib cardigan

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
elise Posted - 09/12/2013 : 4:25:57 PM
Hi

I'm working on the Skinny Rib Cardigan, by Debbie Bliss. I've now to the point where I need to do the button band, and I'm a little confused , as it is not stated whether to pick up stitches or do the band then sew it on . P2,KI,P2 rib, so maybe a vertical buttonhole ?
Thank you for your help in advance, and or suggestions.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ceil Posted - 09/13/2013 : 8:40:33 PM
I met Priscilla four years ago, and knitted my first sweater without a pattern shortly thereafter, not thinking that this was something I would ever be able to do. I bought this book and devoured it. She's got a lot of good ideas in there. Tome, it's more than just another knitting book. It's a veritable Bible!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
elise Posted - 09/13/2013 : 04:17:39 AM
Dear Ceil,

I will try a dress rehearsal (that's so cute) and, do the vertical to the ribbing . I truly am thankful for your help !
Also, I'm going to get the book by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. I looked it up, and , well, can you really ever have too many knitting books ?
Thank you again for your help !
"Elise"
Ceil Posted - 09/12/2013 : 9:46:46 PM
Well, I spoke too soon, because I just looked at a photo of the pattern.

There IS a way to knit the button band on when you start at the bottom and work your way up either front. See "Knitting in the Old Way" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. Again, I would knit a dress rehearsal so that you get the pick-up ratio just right.

Ceil
Ceil Posted - 09/12/2013 : 9:38:58 PM
I'd pick them up, because I hate sewing! But I'd knit a "dress rehearsal" first, so you know how the ribbing will look. CO about 18 sts and k in patt for about fur inches, then BO and pick up sts down one side to rob and find our how the ribbing and that buttonhole work. Do this using the same yarn and needles so you get an accurate read. If you don't like how the ribbing comes out, keep it and try again from the other side.

I'm not sure what you mean by vertical buttonholes: vertical to the ribbing or to the garment? IMHO, you'd want them vertical to the ribbing so that they come out horizontal to the garment. You'll get the best closure that way.

I have to do more R&D on vertical-to-ribbing buttonholes and I can tell you they can be done very neatly. But one end of the hole needs to be near the h halfway point on the band so that the buttons look centered on the band when the garment is worn closed.

HTH,

Ceil

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe