Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Current Projects?
 Linen stitch scarf

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stitchellen Posted - 12/07/2012 : 10:19:15 AM
One of the participants in Ann Budd's "Read Your Knitting" class at this year's retreat had finished a lovely Linen Stitch Scarf (pattern from Churchmouse), and she indicated that she had found the knitting very tedious and difficult. Coincidentally, I had selected that pattern as my group cast-on project for Sunday. Casting on all of the 470 (or thereabout)stitches was easy, but as I worked on the first few rows of the pattern I realized how frustrating it was. After knitting the knit rows, it was far too easy to get mixed up on the purl rows and vice versa. After about an inch of correcting mistakes, I happened on a blog that mentioned that the entire scarf can be made by knitting every row, as long as one cuts the yarn after each row and fringes the ends. The only very minor catch is that you have to alternate knitting the first stitch on one row and slipping the first stitch on the second row. The right side is always the presenting starting place - sort of like knitting an i-cord except with a neww strand of yarn each row. Not only did the knitting proceed much, much faster and with fewer or no mistakes because the stitches were repetitive and didn't switch every row, but the tension was absolutely even. On my purl rows, the pass yarn behind slipped stitches tended to be tighter than the pass yarn in front of slipped stitches were on knit rows. I enjoyed knitting the scarf and finished it in less than a week. Love that pattern!
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Luann Posted - 12/07/2012 : 12:26:53 PM
Yay! I'm so glad you figured out a way to make it without it driving you crazy. I know that dreaded feeling of "This is supposed to be relaxing, dammit!" when working on a project. I'm half done with the second Selbu-baaah-ter mitten for my own New Beginnings project. I don't usually give myself a time limit on NB projects but I really want to finish them so I can wear them this winter!

Luann

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe