Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Knitter's Review Retreat details and Sheepshow
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Thrums

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sharon Mc Posted - 12/06/2012 : 6:49:00 PM
What is a thrum? My dictionary says it to strum and stringed instrument, but somehow I don't think this is it. Even though a knitting thrum has strings/yarn!

Sharon McMasters
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ikkivan Posted - 12/07/2012 : 08:23:02 AM
Klara, yes, I believe you are exactly right about using up the thrums from weaving to make these knit-in tufts in mittens and such ... at least based on what I've read. We should be so resourceful today!

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)
Kade1301 Posted - 12/07/2012 : 06:48:28 AM
For weavers, thrums are the ends of the warp thread that you can't weave off (between 10 and 100 cm - or thereabouts - depending on loom and technique used). Which, for wide weavings, or weavings with fine thread (i. e., a large number of warpe threads) adds up to a shocking amount of yarn to throw away - or recycle somehow.

So now I wonder: Were thrummed mittens (or socks etc.) originally knitted to use up thrums from weaving? Sounds like a perfectly good idea to me (for the moment I'm just collecting my thrums... )

Happy knitting - and weaving! Klara

http://www.lahottee.info
donnawatk Posted - 12/07/2012 : 04:50:16 AM
Thank You Ikkivan I didnt know what it was I was like Sharon, looked it up.Donna
ikkivan Posted - 12/06/2012 : 11:51:43 PM
Sharon, "thrums" are small pieces/tufts of wool fleece or roving knitted into items such as mittens or house slippers to make them extra warm. On the outside, the mittens (that's what I'm knitting now) look as if they have colorwork dots or "lice" scattered over them (usually sort of a grid pattern), but on the inside, the fluffy loose ends become felted to the inside of the fabric to make a very warm and windproof lining ... sort of like lining your knitted item with sheepskin!

Try a search for "knitting thrummed mittens" or something like that and you'll see lots on the Internet as well as Ravelry. I understand the origin is from Newfoundland and Labrador, but I figure anyone in really cold climates has done something similar.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time. (OkieDokieKnitter on Ravelry)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe