Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Dream LYS
 My idea of a dream LYS (local yarn shop)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lynne604 Posted - 10/06/2012 : 06:23:43 AM
Adequate, well-lit parking.

Separate room for those wishing to sit and knit. A large table that's easy to clean.

Evening and Sunday hours.

Signs posted on the front door with (1) hours of operation and (2) the policy on debit/credit cards. The customer should not find out at checkout that the shop only accepts cash or personal checks.

Webside and Facebook that are kept updated.

Rules of courtesy that are observed by all -- no eating at the knitting table and only covered drinks, lengthy cell phone conversations taken elsewhere, newcomers welcomed at the table instead of ignored, yarn and pattern books not left lying around but put back where they belong if the customer is not buying them.

Shop animals (dogs and cats) are cute but they shed and may climb into bins of yarn. The LYS here has two adorable dogs but they are not always house-trained. More than one customer has stepped on doggie doo. So my dream shop would be animal-free.

A handout available on copyright laws. New knitters may not realize that they cannot xerox patterns from books or ask the person next to them for a copy of that cute sweater pattern -- unless the pattern is available free of charge from the internet or the designer.

A clean bathroom!

Adequate heat in the winter and air-conditioning in the summer.

11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rwats2 Posted - 12/22/2012 : 1:24:00 PM
I forgot to say that the place has to be with in walking distance... No more filling my gas tank every time that I want to go on a yarn hunt.
purlewe Posted - 12/18/2012 : 12:16:31 PM
I would love it to be walkable from my house!!! ::sigh::

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Rwats2 Posted - 12/17/2012 : 1:44:25 PM
I have to agree with all of you. In my case, the coffee shop part of it would have to serve what is called Community Coffee(brand of coffee where I live in La.)in decalf and the pastry would have to be sugar free. There would have to be little nooks around the place so that a person can sit on the floor if they chose to.
donnawatk Posted - 12/17/2012 : 05:18:41 AM
Ditzy Girl, I would have said that had I had been by myself. I was with a co-worker who still thinks Im sweet. I always say that people who act like she did was constipated. You have to feel sorry for them there is no love. Donna
Ditzy Girl Posted - 12/16/2012 : 2:38:06 PM
You should have said, no well maybe you are right, so instead I will just buy the shop and fire your rude ass and hire a friendly helpful clerk that knows how to treat a customer.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

robinstephanie Posted - 12/16/2012 : 10:35:39 AM
She doesn't sound like a great person to have around the shop, or like she's doing any of the jobs she was hired for! I hope she doesn't last.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
donnawatk Posted - 12/16/2012 : 04:06:21 AM
Robinsteph, The owner was in the store ,she said that this lady was a snob. My answer back was, one that you hired. The shame was the owner was a sweet lady. I should have known something was wrong, when have you ever been around a group at a table and there wasn't any talking. Donna
robinstephanie Posted - 12/14/2012 : 09:47:58 AM
Woah, Donna, did you complain to the manager? Gods forfend that was the manager.

We are very lucky here; I've found the staff at the three San Francisco yarns stores friendly and helpful.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
donnawatk Posted - 12/14/2012 : 08:30:33 AM
A friendly staff. I asked at a shop what a yarn was that I picked up was and was told I could not afford it. I didn't buy any thing there. Donna
One Stitch at a Time Posted - 12/14/2012 : 08:10:19 AM
Wow! One more- Have great lighting in areas where yarn is sold. I don't understand why one has to take the yarn outside to truly see it. I always notice well illuminated stock and will gravitate toward those yarns. Not that I ever do this but probably more impulse purchses are made in a well lit store....
Rwats2 Posted - 12/14/2012 : 07:52:39 AM
Lynne,
I really agree with you whole heartedly.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe