Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Applying Lace Edging

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Koinonia Posted - 07/18/2011 : 10:41:21 AM
It has been many years since I did the Pi Shawl...and I simply have forgotten how to apply the lace edging. Shame on me! Guess the age thingy has finally hit me.
As I have stated before, I'm more of a visual learner than an written instructional learner...is there by chance a YouTube that could at least get me started?
FYI: I'm working on EZ's Pi Shawl (three lace pattern).
Thanks!
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mrssuem Posted - 07/21/2011 : 08:05:08 AM
Where or where was this when I was finishing the 'Bride's Sachet Bag'? The instructions in the pattern were so confusing that even my LYS couldn't figure them out. Fortunately for me on the day I was at the LYS there was a Berroco rep there and she explained the way it should be done and after that, bingo no problem. I have saved this knitted-on border info though for future reference. Thanks so much.

Sue
Koinonia Posted - 07/21/2011 : 06:38:40 AM
Thank You all! Yes...the Mim's Blog has helped me with pictures! I appreciate you all taking the time to direct me.
minh Posted - 07/19/2011 : 7:34:15 PM
It sounds like at least one knitter kitchenered the edging to the shawl body but most people would probably just follow the written instructions which sound similar to what Shalee described:
http://blog.oregonlive.com/knitting/2010/07/the_ez_project_week_13_of_knit.html

If you decide to go with the knitted-on border, I highly recommend this tutorial by Miriam Felton with pictures:
http://mimknits.com/wordpress/?p=379
Shalee Posted - 07/18/2011 : 6:57:17 PM
I used an edging from Heirloom Knitting when I did my Pi shawl. It was knitted using the live stitches from the last row of the Pi shawl. I don't know if this is what you want to do, but all you need to do is cast on, after your last stitch in the round, the number of stitches required to do the edging you have chosen. That puts you at the "decorative edge" of the edging. Now knit back across these cast on stitches with row one of your chosen edging pattern. When you get to the very last stitch on that row you simply do the last stitch using your cast on stitch AND the next live stitch on your needle. That live stitch is actually the first stitch of you last round on the Pi shawl. Remember, the row 1 of the edging is working towards your shawl. After you combine those two stitches you simply turn your work and knit row 2 of your edging, then turning again, knit row 3 of the edging AND again knit the last stitch thru both the edging stitch waiting to be worked AND the next live stitch from the shawl edge. I hope this makes sence! Just remember that everytime you get back to the shawl edge you knit the edge stitch combined with the next Pi shawl live stitch that is sitting there waiting for you.

This is one situation where a lifeline would be advisable - threaded through the final round of the Pi shawl live stitches.

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

lacylaine Posted - 07/18/2011 : 6:01:31 PM
I don't know of any but would be very surprised to find that there isn't something out there that could help you. Try going to YouTube and searching for Pi Shawl or Apply Lace Edging. Good luck!

Melanie

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might." Ecclesiastes 9:10

2010 FO: two pair felted clogs, two chemo caps for Mom 2011 FO: BYOB (market bag), Hedgerow Mitts, pair of wristers/sweatbands, Baby Alpaca Grande Vest; LYS mystery shawl

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe