Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Does the time of day determine what you knit?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shalee Posted - 12/06/2010 : 5:24:59 PM
I have realized that any finishing to be done must be done earlier, during the day. My power knitting is done late at night, ie k1 p1, k2 p2, easy repeats or straight knit forever. Detailed lace knitting is afternoon knitting as well as designing and setting up on the needles, or anything that really requires my attention.

Am I just plain weird or do others have these special time frames?

Sharon in NW PA
I always wanted my own library but I didn't realize it would be all knitting books!

18   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
linda-gail Posted - 12/27/2010 : 12:25:26 PM
I think my knitting choices are determined more by my surroundings and fatigue level than anything else. I will knit on lace, even a complicated project, at night if there is low likelihood of interruption. If I am tired, even early in the day, I won't bother knitting on a complicated project because I know I'll have to frog later. I have TV watching projects (simple, so I don't have to look at my knitting often) and waiting in line projects (small) and I want to concentrate on my knitting projects. Eventually they all get completed .....

Linda, knitting and spinning away in MD
eldergirl Posted - 12/15/2010 : 4:14:38 PM
I knit like others, when the light is good, and my mind is sharp functioning (?)

But also, I knit by the weather! Why? you may well ask. Because these cold days in the Mid Atlantic are so hard on my arthritis, even with medication, it is painful to knit.

But I am knitting socks now, and maybe I need to move to another UFO which is knit in garter stitch, and is on size 9 needles. Less hard on the fingers.

Whatever, I do second what Shalee has posted, and appreciate the need for relative alertness when doing lace, or more difficult stuff.

Anna
lella Posted - 12/14/2010 : 7:08:11 PM
I just knit whenever I can. I do like knitting small things when we are out and about in the bright light of day.

Many days I wake up and knit until having to absolutely get out of bed to go somewhere.

Darker colors and complex stitches have to be done with bright light which is provided by a 200 watt bulb on both sides of my head in bed, DH's and my own reading lights. My eyes are best right then in the morning, so, if knitting is to be done, that is the time for me to do it.

Lella
Zippiknits
queen of the east Posted - 12/10/2010 : 6:29:13 PM
I usually work on more complex lace patterns earlier in the day. My mind if fresher, I am not inclined to watch tv or dvds and there is plenty of bright light. Otherwise anything goes the rest of the time.

Ann in Montreal
PBELKNAP Posted - 12/10/2010 : 06:29:03 AM
I find I like to knit or crochet complicated things in the early morning, when I won't be disturbed. I knit simple, repetitive things as take-along projects. For the evenings, I do either simple things for maybe something a bit more complicated, depending on what's on TV! I also like to save finishing (sewing, weaving in, etc.) for evenings in front of the TV. I can't stand to do that stuff, so watching a favorite show at the same time makes it a bit more bearable...

WIP = Granny Stipe Afghan (c), Yoke Sweater (k)

Done this year: Sheep-Go-Round Sweater (k), Sweater for Afghans for Afghans (k), Socks (k-2), Ladybug Afghan (c), EZ Set-in Sleeve Sweater (k), Afghans for Afghans Vest (k), Owls Sweater (k), Hooded Duck Blanket(k)

Twitter Name = WildKnitter

Blog: http://wildknitter.blogspot.com

If I could only do this for a living...
ruthmel1 Posted - 12/09/2010 : 06:39:51 AM
My Knitting varies according to my level of concentration rather than time of day. I have Fibromyalgia and it affects your concentration. If my concentration is o.k I knit my lace or cables. I always have a perfectly plain stocking stitch project on the go, usually socks, then if my brain is numb or theres a TV programme that I want to watch I knit the socks and dont have to think. I really have to psych myself up to finish a garment. I hate sewing up . I tend to spend alot of time on line which eats up into my knitting time!

Black Cat Fibres
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5037783
http://soxandcinders.blogspot.com/
find me on Ravelry as Cinders
ikkivan Posted - 12/08/2010 : 12:43:49 PM
While I usually CAN knit most anything at any time, I do find myself saving the no-brainers for evening TV watching when the light is subdued. I almost always have simple projects in the TV area, which for me means nighttime. I think it just has more to do with other activities going on in my home rather than the actual time of day.

Donna, with intentions always bigger than her available time.
Ditzy Girl Posted - 12/08/2010 : 08:30:43 AM
Too some extent yes. Dark colors are easier to do
in the daytime. Other than that no I knit anything
at any time.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

pjkite Posted - 12/08/2010 : 05:33:25 AM
I tend to concentrate best in the morning, so that's the time for complicated lace projects and tricky bits. Afternoons can be pretty much whatever - lace if I have the pattern down, cables, shaping - doesn't matter much. Evenings, especially during the week, are the times when I knit something fairly mindless. It's a good time for gloves, socks, hats and other small projects that don't require much in the way of concentration, since my own brain is pretty fried by 6:00 pm.

Of course, since I have to work to support my fiber habit, this means that frequently lace and complicated projects are restricted to weekends or days off - which means those projects can take quite a while to finish! Good thing I'm totally adverse to 'schedule' knitting!

Pamela Kite
East Tennessee
http://fiberlife.blogspot.com/

lovethelake Posted - 12/07/2010 : 4:47:38 PM
Salutations

Oh the gift of true sunlight with the help with OttLite. Being an early riser and with the sun not up yet, I still prefer to knit in the morning. But blocking t night when it has all night to dry.

Be well, happy, safe and peaceful.

Lovethelake
KathyR Posted - 12/07/2010 : 4:34:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by minh

For me, lace knitting is a morning or afternoon activity -- I like bright lights to read those charts!

I use a halogen light (it's all I have) directly over my work at night. For some reason, everything I've been knitting lately has been in darker colours!

As for the charts, I scan them into my computer then highlight them separately and print them out so that they fit fully onto the page. They are HUGE! I then use post-it notes to cover the rows above where I'm working on. I can then look at the chart and see what my knitting looks like (or should like!) at the time without getting complicated by future rows. Anything to make life a little simpler.

My lace knitting is also spread out on a tray that fits over my lap. Because the tray is attached to a beanbag sort of thing, it moves with me and doesn't go flying if I wiggle around. I can have my chart sitting on the tray nice and handy just beside/underneath my work and I don't need to stretch around for it. I sit in a chair rather than on the couch, so the tray makes things a little simpler spacewise, too. When I want to get up my knitting gets put on the tray and nothing gets lost. Simple!

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)
busygirl Posted - 12/07/2010 : 3:15:15 PM

I also do most of my knitting in the evenings during the working week,but if I have a finished project which needs to be blocked or seamed, I would rather do it during the day at the weekend.After a long day at work,I like to relax with my knitting,so prefer to work on a project which is fairly straightforward.

Leslie

My Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/busygirl/
My Blog
http://lesliea-cosycorner.blogspot.com/
Punctuatedknitter Posted - 12/07/2010 : 08:36:11 AM
Not so much for me. During the week I can only knit in the evening. If I have a big block of time for knitting on the weekend, regardless of time of day, that's when I do something more complicated, like long rows of lace. I have a lamp in just the right spot for good light on my knitting seat.
knittingrunner Posted - 12/07/2010 : 07:19:22 AM
I agree about daylight for knitting anything remotely complex...or dark!
Work and a new kitten at home has kept me at one active project OTN.

Run, Bike, Knit, Repeat!
knittingbiker on Ravelry
Ceil Posted - 12/06/2010 : 9:43:43 PM
When I come to something that I really need to see clearly, even my Ott Lite at night isn't enough. I'd rather do it in good sunlight.

Ceil
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
minh Posted - 12/06/2010 : 7:42:01 PM
For me, lace knitting is a morning or afternoon activity -- I like bright lights to read those charts!
Evening is about quantity knitting, something that I can knit for hours in front of the TV.

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Consuelo Posted - 12/06/2010 : 7:00:08 PM
For me it seems to be more about how long I knit. If I start before breakfast, I'm likely to be at it all day and stay in my PJs to boot. It's one of those things that I get goinging in a certain direction and I'm lost for the day. I save finishing for a day when I'm not on a roll like that and probably in the afternoon. This is a new pattern for me, this afternoon concentration period. It's good because it doesn't interfere with my morning sloth or my evening knitting.

Evening knitting, by the way, is usually repetitive without complexity while I watch TV.

Nah... you're not weird at all.

Consuelo
"Travel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
KathyR Posted - 12/06/2010 : 6:10:41 PM
No, not weird. Everyone has different times when their brain works better than at other times, as in some concentrate better in the morning, others better later in the day. I think there have been graphs drawn (bell graphs?) of how people tend to concentrate.

All that aside, I prefer to carry out knitting that requires more concentration during the afternoon when I'm more likely to be uninterrupted. That being said, I do quite like knitting lace in the evening in front of the tv. I seem to switch off from what is being shown and concentrate more on my work. Funnily enough, I'm not actually a night person and get tired very quickly as the evening wears on.

KathyR

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
My Blog
http://www.flickr.com/groups/kr_members/ (Roselea Fibres)

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe