Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Beginning Knitter classes ( would it be rude?)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Audi Posted - 01/21/2010 : 10:57:22 AM
I noticed that at my local library there is to be a Beginning Knitting class, now I'm not a beginner but I would love to meet other knitters here in town, so would it be rude if I were to go to the library on the day posted for the class and (while being respectful and not joining as a "new" knitter or interrupting in anyway) introduce myself to the lady giving the class?

Or would it be better if I were to try to make contact with her before the day she is giving the class? Or since this is advertised as a beginners class should I stay away and hope for a class later?

So whatcha think? What would you do?

Audi
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Audi Posted - 01/26/2010 : 11:14:48 AM
Hey all, Had a great time at the class, was able to help out and was invited back to help again next week. I plan to go, so again Thank you all for your helpful push, with out it I would have sat here wishing I would have gone, wondering what would have happened if I had gone and kicking myself for not going.

I really do owe you all for giving me the push I needed.

Audi
Consuelo Posted - 01/22/2010 : 12:52:47 PM
Good for you, Audi. Have fun!

Consuelo
"Tavel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
Audi Posted - 01/22/2010 : 10:46:21 AM
Ladies, I want to thank you for your responses. I called the library today thinking I could try to make contact but because the first class is tomorrow, I didn't think I'd have much luck, I was able to talk to Peg who helped to set up the class and was very warmly invited to attend the class tomorrow as they love to have knitters of all experiences, so WOOHOO I get to meet other knitters lol

So thank you thank you thank you for giving me the push I needed to jump out there! I'll let you know how my first "class" goes afterward

Audi
miele Posted - 01/22/2010 : 08:24:21 AM
Make contact before, or arrive at the end of the first session and introduce yourself to the instructor. I, too, teach in a public library and I wish someone would show up and help me!
Ellen
Sketcher Posted - 01/21/2010 : 2:03:02 PM
Call the instructor. As a librarian who gave beginning knitting classes and also moderated a group, I was happy to have extra hands to help with beginners (as long as my helpers respected I was in charge).
Consuelo Posted - 01/21/2010 : 12:23:37 PM
I'm with yarnlover, meet the instructor well ahead of the class and tell him / her about your interest. Maybe she could announce at the end of a class that there is interest in a weekly or monthly gathering of knitters and they are all invited. You could host the first gathering at the library. If the library is willing, they could post a general invitation to all knitters in town.

I applaud your interest in them and I bet you could end up being a good resource after their class.

Good luck.

Consuelo
"Tavel is fatal to prejudice" Mark Twain
yarnlover Posted - 01/21/2010 : 11:20:18 AM
I wouldn't go the day of the first class - the instructor is likely to be busy getting everything ready and then meeting, greeting and organizing her students. Probably best not to distract her, or the students, on that day.

I'd suggest you try to meet her before, and independently of, the class and just let her know you are looking to meet other knitters.

Or you could drop in on one of the later sessions when everyone may be in a more comfortable situation. If things still look harried, and with new knitters, they may all have a lot of questions and need hands-on help, then it still would not be a great time to interrupt.

See My Stuff: Here

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe