Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 lace knitting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
chem Posted - 01/22/2014 : 4:05:05 PM
I have always admired- no love lace. I flunked tatting and Torchon lace making (Yup those wooden spools on a pillow). I plodding my way through russian lace scarf (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/russian-lace-scarf-to-knit )- took me a year= good thing I was living in a holday inn that year.. I am trying again. I am trying Madli's scarf (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/madlis-shawl) to no advail. I knit, I rip, I knit - I rip.I have "life lines" and I rip to life line AGAIN. I count. I recount.
I need... YOUR secrets!! I'd tell you, if I could figure it out - what kind of knitter I am- beginner- not. intermediate-maybe- what am I doing wrong?!!!Please help me. I really want to be able to do this.
marianne
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 01/27/2014 : 10:00:38 AM
Terrific! So glad you've found the advice helpful, and how exciting you're making some good progress without ripping out.

If you ever want to buy yourself a little stitch marker treat, these are my favorites:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/73137323/handmade-sterling-ring-stitch-markers?ref=shop_home_active_12

She used to do them in copper, and they were less expensive, nevertheless, I really like the style. They sit snug against the needle, don't catch on anything, and don't make giant holes in my knitting!

Reading the knitting will come, and it sounds like these lace projects are definitely giving you practice in that. Thanks also for sharing about your hands and larger needles/yarn. Well, it sure works out well for you that you love the lace, then!

So glad this is coming along for you. You sound determined and persistent! Mahdi is gorgeous; hope you get to wear her in April. Keep us informed...

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
chem Posted - 01/26/2014 : 9:37:36 PM
you all have been great!! after Rachel wrote about the stitch markers she uses- I dug out mine and forced myself to knit looser. Amazingly- the BIG KO disappeared. I have been doing "life lines every repeat and have had to use them only once since I wrote. To tell the truth I ripped down to the edging TWICE last monday and ever since I wrote to you all I have done 9 repeats of the pattern with only ONE rip back (tink?). I think I am on my way. I have stopped telling myself that I cannot do this. I would like to wear this to an April wedding - outside- in April (like doesn't anyone talk about April showers anymore? in Philadelphia. I am beginning to think it is possible. I am even looking forward to my next non-sock project.
marianne
marfa Posted - 01/26/2014 : 04:44:21 AM
How do.

Marianne, you have rec'd such wonderful suggestions here & I wanted to add my "if I can do it, you can do it" voice to the mix.

Keep us posted about your progress.
Martha

http://marfasmewsings.blogspot.com
yarnlover Posted - 01/25/2014 : 5:41:28 PM
I just use heavier crochet thread or spare yarn and tie into little loops. Easy to slip, tyey don't get in the way and the price is right. Use a square knot and they keep their size.

See My Stuff: Here

purlthis Posted - 01/25/2014 : 08:01:57 AM
I just get the little cheap circle ones. Are you putting the marker on the stitch itself, or on the needle between stitches? The latter, if you're hooking it in the stitch, should help.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
chem Posted - 01/25/2014 : 07:37:48 AM
You all have been so nice and helpful!! I am plodding along. I have about 12 inches done (and two of the edge lace ). Not perfect but I am doing. do you all have any suggestions for markers? the loopy things (they look like a fat 6)leave the YO's that are first on the repeats very big. I tug and tug. I should say that the yarn I am using is very forgiving of my ripping (juniper moon farms- Findley). NOT like the Mini Mochi I am using for the Kensington socks.
I am impressed that some of you made such big things for your first lace project. WOW!!
thanks again, Marianne
emmyc Posted - 01/25/2014 : 05:47:09 AM
Congrats Chem! Lace is not as scary as it looks and Madli's is a great one to start with. Don't be scared of nupps though, with a little practice they are really cool.

emmyc
winchester ma
donnawatk Posted - 01/24/2014 : 08:52:09 AM
Purlthis, The Forest Canopy Shawl was my first lace project. I bet I made 5 shawls with that pattern. Its well written. I can be a little slow sometimes. I just caught on to your name Purl this. I will not say how long I've been on this sight and how many times you have help me. Donna

Donna
chem Posted - 01/23/2014 : 10:26:23 AM
Robinsteph, thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention I flunked dishcloths till I found I could knit them with size 2 ro 3 needles (thinner cotton). It might be age- but my hands hurt when I use big needles. I make socks so thin yarn isn't my problem . I have hooked up a bright light with a magnifying glass (I use to do my copperplate ). I think my problem is "reading" the knitting. I am learning. and practicing. I ripped a repeat and a half and seem to be doing better.
Your "beginning scarf" is beautiful!!
One of my kids gave me this yarn (juniper moon farms- findley) and when I did a search (you are much better at that than I am) someone made madli scarf in that yarn. Dumb? I am getting better every day.
thanks again for answering my email. I was so overwhelmed. and having people to talk knitting to is such a treat.
marianne
robinstephanie Posted - 01/23/2014 : 09:45:35 AM
Hi Marianne--

Congratulations on figuring out what was going on. That's such a large part of the knitting challenge, for me.

If you get frustrated or stuck again, my suggestion would be to take a break from your Madlis (gorgeous pattern, it was in my favorites already!) and try a beginner lace project, as Purlthis suggests. Something small might even help to give you a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that was a long time coming on your first lace project. You might consider a project using a heavier weight yarn, too. On Ravelry, you can whittle the lace patterns down to an actual searchable lot, still with tons of choices, when you specify easier patterns and heavier yarn weights. Here are the parameters I used; I think I'll go pattern browsing myself!

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#weight=sport|dk|worsted|fingering&view=captioned_thumbs&language=en&pa=lace&difficulties=1|2&craft=knitting&sort=best&photo=yes&needles=3.75mm|4.0mm|4.5mm|5.0mm|5.5mm|6.0mm|6.5mm

This was my first lace:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/beauty-in-ashes-lace-wrap

I found the color change yarn from Play at Life on Etsy, who was recommended by one of the knitters here.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
chem Posted - 01/22/2014 : 8:48:30 PM
I figured it out!!!I have been using markers between repeats. Several of the rows have the repeat ending in a YO. I have been "loosing " some of them when I move the marker. Thank you so very much for your suggestion. I think your "easier" scarf looks harder than the rectangular one. OH yes, I beaded instead of nupps. I know I could not do those without using "objectionable" vocabulary.
Thank you so much for answering. I was desperate for someone to talk to. I truly appreciate you taking the time.
marianne
purlthis Posted - 01/22/2014 : 4:26:19 PM
Try a beginner lace pattern until your skills build and you learn what makes what click in lace. It isn't for everyone, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the forest canopy shawl. It's a great looking shawl in a solid color or sock yarn.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe