Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Spinner Central
 Fiber Sources and Discussion
 Weird flax

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
robinstephanie Posted - 11/23/2013 : 2:52:28 PM
A year or so ago I bought a bump of flax at the Estes Park Wool Market. After a recent flax spinning clinic at my spinning guild, today I sat down to give it a try on the wheel. The flax from my guild was long and golden, each fiber 2-3 feet long, which I thought was the correct preparation for flax. The flax I bought at the wool market contained fibers 1-2 inches long.

Experienced spinners, what is up with the short flax fibers? Is this a special kind of preparation? Or are these the floor sweepings of flax fibers? Something else?

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
robinstephanie Posted - 11/25/2013 : 07:46:23 AM
A ha! I thought you might have an answer, Shelia. This bag of linen was about two bucks an ounce, I think--pretty cheap. It's actually fine for what I'm using it for, and actually really easy to spin compared to the line flax I had from my guild.

Thanks for your help, Shelia I didn't mind the tow this time, but I should know what I'm buying.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
Shelia Posted - 11/24/2013 : 10:09:31 AM
The guild flax is line, sometimes called long line, flax. It is what traditionally the best linen is spun and woven from. You purchased tow, which is one of the by-products of line preparation. It's usually the broken flax from the ends of the stalks and the other shorter bits. This is some of what in the old days went into the linsey-woolsey blend that was a rather rough cloth.

There is a significant difference in price between the two preps.

Shelia
www.breezyridgestudio.com
ravelry name - sheliaknits
Ceil Posted - 11/23/2013 : 8:14:49 PM
I spin, but have never spun flax. Do you have any manufactured flax yarn? It might be worthwhile to cut a two-yard length and then take it apart to see how long the fibers are.

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe