Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Clara's Maine Morning mitts - change size

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bakenknit Posted - 11/18/2013 : 5:32:45 PM
I hope I posted to the correct forum this time. sigh Somehow I posted to the sock forum and don't know how to move it. :o)

I've just recently finished reading Clara's Book of yarn and was intrigued with the small section on camel hair yarn. I was able to score several skeins of Bouton d'Or Ksar (it was discontinued in 2009). Ksar is so soft and I think it would be a great yarn to use for the Maine morning mitts. Clara's pattern is for a medium woman's hands and mine are large (8 1/2 - 9 circumference). This is pretty much of a nit question, but I'm wondering if I should co 39 or 42 st. (I'm leaning toward 42). Anyone make this pattern in a larger size? I've knit so many different things, but never fingerless mitts and I've always wanted to make a pair. Thanks!

bakenknit
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bakenknit Posted - 12/22/2013 : 11:05:20 AM
Well, I made 3 pairs of the Maine Morning mitts in 3 different sizes all using US7 needles. Since I wear large, I co 36. Then I made a pair for my SIL in medium following the pattern co 33. Used the Ksar yarn for both and it's so soft -- wish they were still making that yarn. I made a pair for my brother using Knitpicks Brava worsted since he's allergic to wool (what's w/that?!) and co 39. He's a big guy (not fat, but 6'8"). I don't know if he'll ever wear them or like them but I'll find out on Christmas Day. I showed my husband the pair I made for myself and he wanted to know why I would make hobo gloves! WHAT!! lol He said they look like something hobos would wear warming their hands around a trash can fire. geez He does make me laugh, though, even though he's clueless when it comes to knitting. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone.

bakenknit
purlewe Posted - 11/19/2013 : 07:33:49 AM
I agree with jane. Going up or down a needle size has always supplied me with the right size mitts for either children (size down) or adult men (size up)

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
bakenknit Posted - 11/19/2013 : 02:41:58 AM
Swatch?! Perish the thought, Jane. lol It's good to know they're very stretchy so I'm going for it w/39,then. Hate to say it, but I never swatch. EVER! ugh Either I knit to gauge or I've been very lucky that all the tops I knit fit me. :o). Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to start using this yarn.

bakenknit
Jane Posted - 11/18/2013 : 6:20:07 PM
I've made a bunch of MMM's, in several different yarns. They are very stretchy, even though they're made on relatively small needles. I'd swatch with a couple of different needle sizes to see what kind of fabric you get with your yarn, and I bet you'll find the one that's right for you without having to up-size the pattern.

Or you could do what I usually do: cast on and see what happens!

Jane

Betty deserves everything and more: Make a Donation
Blog: Not Plain Jane
Photos: Flickr Album

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe