Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 OFF-TOPIC: Enter At Your Own Risk
 Political discussions
 Seniors and the new Health Care Legislation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
judye Posted - 10/24/2013 : 08:01:35 AM
Does anyone have knowledge re seniors and what's happening to them as a result of this new health care law? Doctors are going to be getting cut again (Medicare doctors) and that means seniors will feel the impact of this. Not in a good way. Also, I was told we would not be getting chemo or other comprehensive life-saving procedures when we reach of age of 73. Can this be possible?

Help!!!
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sara Sue Posted - 10/30/2013 : 07:27:11 AM
I live in Louisiana and nothing has changed with my medicare advantage program.
anderknit Posted - 10/29/2013 : 2:06:08 PM
Sorry, I believe the doctor is mistaken when he says that Medicare reimbursement cuts are the "direct result of Obamacare." There is a lot of misinformation being thrown around. Doctors have been complaining for years about low Medicare reimbursement rates, and cuts are regularly debated/enacted because Medicare itself was not self-sustaining - completely separate and BEFORE Obamacare. Not your fault, Linda, you are the messenger AND your doctor is giving up on you. Not fun. I honestly don't have any idea where this will all end. Our pre-Obamacare health delivery and insurance systems were completely broken. Obamacare may help some people, but it will not fix the system. It's easy to blame Obamacare for all the problems with our health insurance system, and that's just not true. What a hot mess, as they say.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
auntlinda Posted - 10/29/2013 : 11:20:29 AM
As a result of the cuts to Medicare the doctor I've gone to since 1985 decided to go "boutique". Now, to stay as his patients it would cost my husband and I $3000/yr. We spoke to him about it and he says he'll go broke if he doesn't make this change, that it is a direct result of Obamacare, and, unfortunately,we had to change doctors.

~Linda
NutmegOwl Posted - 10/29/2013 : 06:40:39 AM
As one who works in this field: The Affordable Care Act did not make changes to Medicare. However, there is something completely unrelated happening related to Medicare Advantage plans in some states -- CT, RI, NJ, FL to name a few. In those states, UnitedHealthcare has sent termination letters to thousands of physicians dropping them from its plans. This is happening at the same time as open enrollment for patients and physicians. The best advice for you is to call your physicians and make sure they are still participating in Medicare for next year. Their participation is strictly voluntary but problems with the way physicians are paid and the constant threats of fee cuts to them is making more docs opt out of caring for patients with whom they have longstanding relationships. HTH.

-----
Nutmeg Owl
Quaecumque sunt vera
http://www.owlwaysknitting.wordpress.com
azblueskies Posted - 10/24/2013 : 12:35:06 PM
I agree, Debra. I'm not on Medicare but I've been checking it out and there have only been improvements as far as I can tell. For instance, some no-cost preventative care procedures and tightening up the donut hole. I think all the benefits from the ACA law apply to all insurance except for some Grandfathered plans and even then it's just certain parts of the ACA that might not apply. I don't see a downside to any of it - only good things coming! I only hope there are no cuts to Social Security or Medicare as part of the upcoming debate on the budget.

azblue
------------------------------------------------------------------
Reminder to myself: PROVISIONAL cast on for EVERYTHING except toe-up socks.
Schaeferyarnlover Posted - 10/24/2013 : 08:27:23 AM
I have read a lot about the ACA and as far as I know, none of that is true.
There are no limits on chemo treatment for anyone. Actually, more citizens will be able to get the treatment they need because those who were excluded by insurance companies due to pre-existing conditions are now eligible for coverage.
You do not have to change doctors or plans if you are happy with your present arrangement.
Social Security SSI and Medicare Part D all had very rocky starts with calls to cancel the programs. I, for one am glad we did not.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/23/obamacare-problems_n_4148466.html

Debra

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe