Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Worst Project Nightmare
 To give or not to give?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
minh Posted - 08/30/2013 : 3:18:05 PM
That is my current question...

I knitted a small baby blanket for someone at work who is expecting. It is made out of 25 squares of sock yarn, mostly Wollmeise and Sundara. I just washed it tonight to give it next week -- hey, it's all super wash wool -- so off it went in the machine in cold water. Well, some of the squares felted (ouch!) and because only some of them felted, the square blanket is now kind of wonky-shaped. Not to mention that the colors are not as vibrant as they were pre-wash.

So what would you do? Oh, and did I mention that the recipient is also a knitter? She might sympathize or she might think it is a wonky shaped play mat...

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
minh Posted - 09/09/2013 : 1:15:04 PM
Ding, ding, ding --Ceil wins! I don't think I can look at this blanket anymore, I will bring it to the KR retreat for the global charity.

Ceil Posted - 09/05/2013 : 09:16:37 AM
Sounds like doggie-bed liner?

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
Lynne604 Posted - 09/01/2013 : 07:19:12 AM
Toss the blanket and get her a gift card to Walmart or Target. My daughter and son-in-law recently welcomed their first baby. Blankets she had in abundance since she is a knitter, but gift cards were treasured beyond anything. Like most new parents, they had not anticipated the ongoing expense of Pampers, wipes, etc.
minh Posted - 08/31/2013 : 11:16:27 PM
The tribe has spoken! I don't have enough time to rework the blanket for her so I will get some baby clothes and write a card to explain what happened (I think she will appreciate the story as a fellow knitter).

Kristina, it was actually some of the Sundara that felted which never happened to me before.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am going to sort the felted squares to make a felted pillow and add to the non felted squares to salvage the blanket.

kkknitter Posted - 08/31/2013 : 09:26:36 AM
How about making a pillow or two from the squares that did not felt. Was it Wollmeise that felted? I have knitted with Sundara several times and not had a problem, but never with Wollmeise.

Kristina
kbshee Posted - 08/30/2013 : 8:40:31 PM
I don't know if I would ever try this, but I'll put it out there: try to felt the whole thing. Plus it sounds gorgeous.

kim in oregon
http://kbshee.blogspot.com
anderknit Posted - 08/30/2013 : 7:07:00 PM
Can you take the blanket apart and salvage some of the squares? Then knit some more and re-attach it all? If it were me, I probably wouldn't give it as is, but that's just me.

"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I will try again tomorrow.' "
purlthis Posted - 08/30/2013 : 3:21:25 PM
I'd try to rework it maybe?

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe