Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Tool Talk
 Needles
 needles for lace

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dfox@net1plus.com Posted - 05/27/2013 : 4:39:05 PM
I am currently working on a scarf with size 4 needles and lace yarn. I am having trouble with the stitches and my circular nickle plated needles just do not seem sharp enough to pick up the stitches. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried all of my needles and none seem to work. I love the yarn but I am growing frustrated.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
demib Posted - 08/16/2013 : 2:12:05 PM
I own the Addi Clicks in turbo, lace, long tips and bamboo. Each set is wonderful depending on the project and yarn. However, my arthritic hands really love the feel of the natural Addis, and since I am now concentrating on perfecting my tension, I find I am in more control. What other quality wood circulars are lightweight and have the sharpest points?
zquilts@centurytel.net Posted - 08/16/2013 : 1:05:33 PM
I think that what needles to use when knitting lace is a very personal choice. I knot primarily lace and primarily shawls, scarves and accessories.

I like needles that are fast and super pointy. My preferences for lace knitting in order from my favorites to my least favorites are:

1. Signature's Stilettos (but I can't afford to have too many of them).
2. HiyaHiya I love the sharp points and smoothness and the cost is do reasonable! I love their interchangeable sets, and their connector is really excellent!
3. ChaiGoo Red Lace - a very close second to HiyaHiya imho.
4. Knitter's Pride Karbonz (but I only like them in the smaller sizes, when they went to larger sizes the tips were no longer what works for me).

I would also recommend the following for people who are just beginning lace knitting or who are having some issues with doing so:

1. Kollage square needles. I think that these would be a great needle to try for anyone who is having issues wit lace knitting. I love the pointy tips and the square shape really does make them easier on your hands and wrists, but I am not sure that his may not be the result of knitting a wee bit slower.Your stitches will look very nice!

2. Bamboo needles. PersonaIly do not like knitting with Bamboo needles for anything, but I do know people who have said that they are much better at lace knitting using the slower Bamboo needles.
bearknitter Posted - 08/16/2013 : 11:39:44 AM
I've totally converted to Chiao Goo Red Lace needles for everything! The needles are sharp, the texture of them is great for any yarn, the joins are perfect, and the cables are flexible enough, but not to flexible to be in my face all the time.
sollertia Posted - 08/16/2013 : 08:53:38 AM
I love my HiyaHiya sharps! I have the steel interchangeable sets (had the small set 2-8 for about a year, and just bought the large set 9-15 this week). No problem getting into those small spaces, even doing nupps with linen thread. If I later find that I have problems with slippery yarns I may add the bamboo tips and sharpen the ends a bit.
ohoites@netzero.com Posted - 08/15/2013 : 3:28:44 PM
I have been a lace knitter for many years and my very, very favorite needles for lace knitting are the vintage all nylon circular needles that were sold by the Super Yarn Mart back in the 70's & 80's. They were made by several companies(Susan Bates, Boye, Hero, Marcia Lynn). Since they are no longer in production, I search the internet for "vintage knitting needles" or garage/yard sales to find them. The search is well worth the effort for these wonderful needles. They are the very best for lace knitting since they have no join whatsoever! They are one continuous nylon filament and very lightweight. The needles have enough 'grab' so the fine mohair, silk & wool yarns don't slip off the needles as might happen with the shiny metal ones. I had bought quite a few, but don't have all the sizes I would want. If I don't have the size I need in the nylon circulars, my next best choice is the Susan Bates "Quicksilver" which are currently available.
Mshark Posted - 08/15/2013 : 2:04:16 PM
This is a great discussion, very helpful insights from all! I seem to go a bit with my mood, but in general my starting point for a lace project has usually been Addi Lace or Signature (if I have the size) if its not terribly slippery yarn or my Dyakcrafts if it needs a bit of stickiness. I recently got a set of Chia Goo Twist interchangeables and I'm tending to start with those ... a really good balance of slippery/sticky, just the right amount of flex in the cable, and a point that has a long taper but not so sharp as to put fingers in danger. As has been mentioned, Dyakcraft takes a year or so to get (worth it!!) and Signatures are pricey (also worth it) so if you wanted to experiment a bit, you could get a fixed circ in both Addi Lace and Chia Goo and see which you like best. Both are very reasonably priced. Good luck!!

Miriam
Knitshark
Yarn Longa Vita Brevis Est

Ceil Posted - 08/15/2013 : 09:59:34 AM
I just looked at a KA circ I have here. The bamboo tips would grab, but the points look too blunt. I have a set of Addi Lace clicks, and the points are sharp enough to almost jab my fingers. You've gotten lots of recommendations for Addi lace needles, so I'd go with them!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
bwessel Posted - 08/15/2013 : 09:07:36 AM
Addi Turbo Lace Long Tips are great. But if you have really slippery yarn, I find bamboo needles are good for "holding" the yarn (although the points usually aren't sharp enough)

BBW
kaythearky Posted - 08/15/2013 : 09:04:44 AM
Wooden tip needles; there is a little more cling than the slippery metal ones. Different knitters like different brands - I have the interchangeable KnitPicks Harmony and Knitters Pride Dreamz, and love 'em both.
Punky Posted - 08/15/2013 : 05:18:25 AM
1st choice Signature

Laura May Fleck
ellenki Posted - 08/15/2013 : 04:50:58 AM
I love my signatures! They are expensive but the point is so sharp. Second choice is Knitpick wooden
FluffyKnitterDeb Posted - 08/15/2013 : 01:14:20 AM
I'm a die hard addi lover and ADORE my addi lace clicks and my new Sock Rockets for the smaller sizes BUT I am currently knitting a lace cardi in a cotton/microfiber blend. I swatched with Kollage Square Circs, Addi Turbos, Addi Lace with the turbo finish (clicks), my "old" addi lace circs in the brass finish (a bit stickier than the clicks) and my Hiya Hiya Sharps and HANDS DOWN the Hiya Hiya Sharps were the winner!

They have a perfect, sharp point, deliciously soft cables, imperceptible joins and just enough grab to make knitting (even with cotton!) sheer PLEASURE!

I have the HH Sharps in fixed 32" circs in sizes 0-2 and I was fortunate enough to be gifted the "small" set (sizes 2-9) of the Sharps interchangeables! I can't recommend them highly enough and they sound like *just* what you need to solve your current knitting woes!

Hope this helps!

Debi aka FluffyKnitterDeb

PS - Dyakraft's Darn Pretty Needles in the lace tips would be another GREAT choice but if you don't currently own them, the waiting list is about a year (but WELL WORTH IT!) so I guess unless you have a very generous and trusting friend who's willing to loan hers out, these aren't a option right now

Fluffy Knitters are well rounded :)
Read my blog at http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com
akmtngrl Posted - 08/15/2013 : 01:09:28 AM
My KnitPics wooden ones work well for fine lace, as they are sharp but not slippery. In general, I dislike wooden needles because they are so slow, but lace is slow anyway. I have a new Chai Goo metal one that is also sharp and works well. I would love to try a Signature one, as I adore my sharp-pointed sock needles.

Gail in Fairbanks
jlpanecki Posted - 08/14/2013 : 8:49:07 PM
I love my Addi Turbo needles - I use them right down to a size 0 = with laceweight yarn and they are as smooth as I could ever ask. I've never used their lace needles, I'm afraid I stick my fingers with them!
Riley Posted - 08/14/2013 : 10:48:46 AM
Signature needles have the best points. Really expensive, however.
Kade1301 Posted - 06/04/2013 : 11:56:49 AM
Or you get some cheap bamboo needles from China and sharpen them yourself...

http://www.lahottee.info
dfox@net1plus.com Posted - 06/02/2013 : 06:43:53 AM
Thank you for responding! I will give some of those a try!
purlthis Posted - 05/28/2013 : 3:57:11 PM
I like chia goo or however you spell it.

Rachel
------------------------------------------------------
As I get older, I prefer to knit. Tracey Ullman
http://purledthis.blogspot.com/ UPDATED! WITH PICS!
Ditzy Girl Posted - 05/28/2013 : 09:44:41 AM
The Knit Pics are the sharpest. I have both Addi and Knit Pics and the KP are much more tapered.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

robinstephanie Posted - 05/28/2013 : 08:06:23 AM
I love addie turbo lace tips. I also have some... what are these things... Knitter's Pride Dreamz that I got for free at Interweave Lab a few years back. Initially I didn't like them, then I needed a sharper needle than my addies and the Dreamz really cut the mustard. They're really sharp.

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe