Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 Granny Square Madness

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
robinstephanie Posted - 06/21/2013 : 08:18:55 AM
Learning to crochet was on my agenda this year. I learned a little from a friend and took a class at Stitches, because I want to do Jennifer Hansen's broomstick lace class on Craftsy.

But also at Stitches I found this orange yarn that I just loved. It's 100% merino from the oldest continuously operating wool mill in Russia. I loved it so much... I bought 22 balls!

I'd had this idea for a brightly-colored granny square blanket lurking in the back of my head ever since I saw one that somebody posted here... I can't remember her name, and it wasn't traditional granny squares, but it was crochet, and the member's brilliant and vivid color choices and combinations just fired.me.up I decided I was going to make something like that someday.

It took me almost three months to decide on the rest of the colors to go with my beautiful orangy orange, but I finally started the blanket on May 17—and I have gone fecking ballistic. I've never kept up this much steam over one project at a time. It was partly that it went so fast it was hard to get bored. But also every time I finished a square I was so excited by it that I couldn't wait to start the next one. The colors are just so cheerful together. As the pile of squares grew, I just got happier and happier looking at them. I can't wait to get this thing on my bed.

Today, I've got one square left... and I've sewn my ends in as I've gone, so I'm this close to layout and seaming. I am still.so.excited.

Here's a link!:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/robinstephanie/blanket-statement

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Luann Posted - 08/22/2013 : 8:43:40 PM
Yay! I agree, it makes me happy to look at it. Enjoy!

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
robinstephanie Posted - 08/22/2013 : 08:57:39 AM
Phew! Done. Needed to finish some baby blankets--those babies, they don't wait for nothin--but finally was able to turn my attention back to this baby. I love it. It's the cheerfullest thing I ever saw.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/robinstephanie/blanket-statement

Robinsteph

robinstephanie Posted - 06/26/2013 : 2:52:29 PM
Lella, no way, not bugged, call me cute, any day!

Zola and Luanne, thanks for your compliments! Can't believe I'm still so enthusiastic about this after the—what? Seventy hours or so I've already put in—but I am. Can't wait for seaming and bordering. There are new skills for me to learn there.

LJ, rolling around in the squares really cracked me up, as you can see in the pic. It was a good laugh, and you're right, it did me good. The excitement of this whole project has done me good.

Donna, the colors were not easy. I've definitely felt color-challenged before. I must have ordered fifty colors from knitpicks and compared them to each other and to pictures of blankets I liked. I looked at pictures and thought about what it was that made the colors "work" for me. I'm so happy with the way this has come out, which I can't say about color choices in some of my other projects. I had to get over my dislike of blues and purples, because they were major contributors in the projects I liked, and what do you know, they work.

Purlewe, Maybe your hands just still want the wonderful feel of knitting, like Luanne. Perhaps if you ever see a crochet item that you just can't stand your lust for, you will dash across that line. It does feel really different from knitting, almost like dancing with fingers. First it was weird, then I got used to it, then I decided I really liked it. I'll say though, it did feel really good to have my knitting needles back in my hands while my last squares were blocking.

But I'm puttin' them needles aside again soon, for the layout is almost done. I'm SO close. Let the seaming begin!

Robinsteph

purlewe Posted - 06/26/2013 : 1:44:45 PM
WHOA! you are super fast! I need to go see these pics b'c your enthusiasm just demands I see them!!!

One thing I have never been able to conquer is learning crochet. I often tell my friends who can that they are so much smarter than I am. Every time I learn it it doesn't make sense to my hands AT ALL. So I bow down to your awesomeness!!!

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming. ~Myrna Loy
http://purlewe.typepad.com/
Luann Posted - 06/24/2013 : 12:04:27 PM
Wow! I love this project! I don't really enjoy crochet - I just like the way it feels to hold two needles, instead of one hook - but the one project I really enjoyed making was granny squares. Something so satisfying and symmetrical about them! And the colors are so beautiful and cheerful - just what you need to brighten up your stressful past few months.

Knit and let knit!
http://www.luannocracy.blogspot.com
Ditzy Girl Posted - 06/24/2013 : 07:37:09 AM
Great job. It is such a pleasure to knit/crochet something you are excited about and CONTINUE to be excited about thru the whole process. The blanket looks wonderful. Congrats on a job well done.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

donnawatk Posted - 06/24/2013 : 04:32:05 AM
Robinstephanie, You look like you are having fun. I wish I could put the colors together.Donna
LJ Posted - 06/21/2013 : 8:05:03 PM
You are rolling in Granny Squares!!!!!

The colors are great. And I think you might have set a record for fastest Granny Square squares crocheting .

Linda in Va

My Blog: http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
My Patterns:
eldergirl Posted - 06/21/2013 : 5:54:41 PM
Robinstephanie, you are so cute about this! (I know, I know, you are a perfectly mature woman, who may not like being called cute,) but I think you are, and I love the pic of you on Ravelry rolling ecstatically in your granny squares!!!

I am so glad you are having such a good time. You would make good publicity for the yarn business!

Very best wishes,

Anna

Life is beautiful.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe