Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 Shawls and Scarves
 Shadow Shawl

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
butterflygirl13 Posted - 08/30/2006 : 11:35:45 PM
I am working on the Shadow Shawl by Maureen Mason-Jamieson. After a few false starts I finally have a handle on the pattern and am happily knitting away.

As you look at the right side of the shawl, there is a stitch marker in 5 stitches from the end keeping the border separate. You increase the last stitch every right side row. Which would be the stitch the farthest to the left. The problem I have is once you have the pattern established and all the chevron stripes are in place it says to add a second stitch marker next to your first one. As your chevrons keep moving to the left the stitches between the markers will increase.

I am losing sleep in anticipation of reaching this point. If I increase at the far left how do stitches appear between the two stitch markers? It never says anything about moving the markers. If I increase on the opposite side of the markers why would they move apart from eachother?

I know this sound about as clear as mud. I'm hoping someone here has made this shawl before and understands what I am trying to say and can explain it to me.

Thanks.

Pam

http://mypatheticlittleknittingblog.blogspot.com/
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Knitterknotter Posted - 06/17/2013 : 5:51:21 PM
I knitted the shadow shawl a few years ago and have started another one. I found the instructions rather difficult to understand and could not remember what I had done when it says, "continue in pattern". These notes helped very much. It is coming back. Thanks.
butterflygirl13 Posted - 08/31/2006 : 10:33:17 PM
I think I had an Aha moment while I was at work today.

Here's the way I see it:

Increases are done on right side rows at the far left hand side of the needles (the two stitch markers at this point are on the right hand side).

On wrong side rows I am working in sections of 10. 10 purl, 10 knit, 10 purl etc. Because I added one stitch at the end of the previous row, the sections of 10 are always moving over 1 stitch. When I get to the point of adding the second stitch marker I already have all my chevrons in place and just continue in pattern. The makes the plain area up by the neck. I think what she wants me to do is when I am on my wrong side row and finish my last section of 10 for my chevron, this is where the second marker should be. The stitches between this marker and the one by the border are worked by only knitting or purling them depending on what color I am using that row. In other words, on wrong side rows I would always move the marker one stitch to the right which would increase the number of stitches between the markers.

You were right Elizabeth, once I stopped thinking about it so hard the answer just came to me. Common sense says that if I start out with 2 stitch markers next to eachother and always increase at the opposite end of these stitch markers they will always be next to eachother unless I move one of them. I'm not sure why the pattern doesn't tell you to move the marker.

I'm just glad I finally figured it out. Thank you all for your help. I'll try to remember to post a picture to my blog when I get a chance.

Pam

Vcoerulea Posted - 08/31/2006 : 5:27:29 PM
Take a deep breath and think about it. You are increasing on the outside edge,but you still only want to keep 5 stitches in the border pattern. By moving the original marker to continue marking the border stitches,you are 'converting' one of the former border stitches to a center pattern stitch. The second marker does not get moved until you have enough stitches increased between the markers to do another chevron pattern,then it gets moved out to next to the original edge marker. Combined with Zola's explanations,I hope this helps and not just muddies the water more. Remember that sometimes directions make more sense when you actually are working them stitch by stitch then when you just read them and try to picture the abstract.
Elizabeth
Ditzy Girl Posted - 08/31/2006 : 2:53:36 PM
Your right you will have to move the marker for the 5 st over. If you do not move that one, you said you inc on the last st. If you don't move the one for 5 st you would after the first inc have 6 after the 5 st marker if you don't move it back to to 5. Now that will leave 1 st between the 2 markers.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

butterflygirl13 Posted - 08/31/2006 : 10:05:14 AM
I can't understand why I can't wrap my mind around this one. The increases are happening on the other side of the needle. I will always have 5 stitches after the marker.

I think I'll be able to fudge it and get it to work. I think the key is I will have to move the marker each row. Even if the pattern never says to do this.

Ditzy Girl Posted - 08/31/2006 : 08:19:35 AM
Because you will move the 5 st marker over so it is always a 5 st marker. You have 2 st markers side by side, then you inc one st. Now you move the 5 st marker so it is marker 5 sts again and now you will have 1 st between the 5 st marker and the 2nd marker. Then on the next inc move the 5 st marker so it is again only marking 5 sts and you will have 2 st between the markers and so forth untill you have a complete pattern available and can start another pattern. I hope this makes sense.

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe