Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
 All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 The seam stitch!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ceil Posted - 06/02/2013 : 8:55:43 PM
I was telling a friend about seam stitches the other day, and remembered when I knitted seam stitches for the first time about 1.5 years ago that I wanted to post about it here, and never did. High time.

Mainly, I'd read about seam stitches in patterns but didn't know why anyone needed to bother. I scoured the books I have here, and couldn't find the "why." Even my beloved "Knitting in the Old Way" talked about them, but didn't say a thing about why. (I'm one of those people who wants to know why we should never use a jewelry cloth on turquoise stones. I've never tried that, but I do want to know what happens without making it happen. If anyone knows, do tell me.)

Then in December 2011, "Piecework" arrived with a knitting challenge to interpret a sock pattern from the mid-1800s, and I bit. It had a seam-stitch column in it, and I had to follow the pattern, so...now I understand what they do, because I'd left them out before.

A seam stitch column is great when there are mirrored decreases a couple stitches apart, as was the case on the old sock pattern, and on sweater sleeves. So here is your homework (it won't take long, and you LIKE to knit, yes?): knit two swatches.

The first is without seam stitches: CO 20 sts, knit stockinette for 4 rows, then on a RS row: k7, k2tog, k2, ssk, k the rest of the row, then k 5 more rows. Repeat the decreases on either side of the center two stitches every 6th row until you run out of sts to decrease, then BO.

Now knit another swatch with the seam st column down the middle. This time CO >21< sts.
Row 1: k 10, p, k 10.
Row 2: purl the ks and k the lone purl.
Rows 3-4: repeat rows 1-2.
Row 5 (RS): k7, k2tog, k, p, k, ssk, k the rest of the row.
Knit the next 5 rows in patt, decreasing on either side of the center 3 sts every 6th row until you run out of dec sts, then BO.

Now look at both samples with the RS facing. Can you see why seam stitches are so good?! Knit both swatches and tell us the results right here. It's good to have a record of this for your knitting bag of tricks, and I invite you to try it!

Ceil
(Ravelry: ceilr)
Time is never a factor when joy is involved.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
yarnlover Posted - 06/04/2013 : 6:42:19 PM
I'm interested in trying this too as I really like to learn new techniques and to understand the why's of why a technique is best for a specific project.

Don't know when I might get to it, but will try in the next week and report back. Very interesting to me as I haven't ever heard the term seam stitch before this.

See My Stuff: Here

robinstephanie Posted - 06/04/2013 : 09:24:55 AM
Ceil--I haven't heard about seam stitches and I'm very tempted! I'm home sick from work today; if I can tear myself away from my million-color granny square blanket, I'll give it a try and report back!

Robinsteph

Different is good. ~Matthew Hoover

Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe